Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,497,266 times

Advertisements

Please sign the petition:

Canada won't protect any newly endangered species from international trade. All 76 of them. | SumOfUs

Canada just became the first nation in history to opt out of every proposed resolution protecting new endangered species from international trade.

This is unprecedented. Documents just released from a 2013 Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) show that Canada expressed “reservations” on extending protection to all 76 species added to the charter. That means the world said, “We need to protect this animal or plant right now” and Canada answered “meh.” 76 times.

No other country has even come within reach of this embarrassing position. Iceland is closest, with 22 reservations -- given over 39 years. All 76 of Canada’s “mehs” came last year. There is literally no other country with a more isolated and radical opposition to protecting endangered species from international trade than Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
I just emailed the PM and asked him to address this issue, i'll post his explanation on the subject if he replies.Contact | Prime Minister of Canada
IMO his tenure as PM will last until the next federal election is called.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,215,437 times
Why let a clumsy thing like facts get in the way of some good outrage;

Environment Canada spokesman Danny Kingsberry said the reservations are temporary and the protections will eventually come into law.
"Canada, as with many other parties to the convention, requires additional time to make the necessary regulatory changes," he said in an email. "These reservations are technical in nature, not substantive, and were made to allow Canada sufficient time to amend its domestic legislation to reflect the changes."

Canada opts not to block international trade in 76 endangered species - World - CBC News

Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Eventually? No, IMO, there shouldn't have been any hesitation at all, for ANY of the endangered species.

I don't know if you are aware that Canadians (nic-name: snow birds) move to Florida in the hundreds, if not thousands every winter, (and other areas of the southern waters) where Manatees and Manta Rays exist. We are just as guilty in pollution and accidental, (or otherwise) deaths of these animals that are endangered.

As far as Ebony, no, we don't live anywhere near Africa, but consumers from Canada would most likely still buy it, or some thrill-seeking (sick-minded IMO) Canadian hunters might even get a kick out of shooting an elephant.

ALL endangered species should be protected by ALL countries. Man wasn't put on this earth to eliminate other species. We have the brains to do ALL we can to prevent this, but greed and people not giving two SH*TS are two main reasons why these animals aren't still flourishing.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,215,437 times
Hyperbole much?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Hyperbole much?
Call me whatever you like. I am an animal lover.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I just emailed the PM and asked him to address this issue, i'll post his explanation on the subject if he replies.Contact | Prime Minister of Canada
Heres the first reply, =

Quote:
Dear Mr. XXXXX
Thank you for writing to the Prime Minister. In your e-mail, you raised an issue that falls within the portfolio of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment.

Please be assured that your comments have been carefully noted. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your e-mail to Minister Aglukkaq, who, I am certain, will wish to give your views every consideration.

For more information on the Government's initiatives, please visit www.pm.gc.ca.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write.

J.P. Vachon
Manager/Gestionnaire
Executive Correspondence Services
for the Prime Minister's Office
Services de la correspondance
de la haute direction
pour le Cabinet du Premier ministre

Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 AM

415 posts, read 558,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Due to vote-splitting among the Liberals, NDP, and the Greens, Harper will probably be re-elected next year. However, the inevitable fallout from the Mike Daffy trial could hurt his chances.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:49 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
Due to vote-splitting among the Liberals, NDP, and the Greens, Harper will probably be re-elected next year. However, the inevitable fallout from the Mike Daffy trial could hurt his chances.
I'm not feeling the same confidence re: Harper's chances because there are quite a few variables at play.. I think it'll largely depend on how Mulcair and Trudeau perform.. I think there is a natural tendency for those 60 percent who most likely will not vote for Harper to lean towards Trudeau. Neither Mulcair nor Trudeau have faced off against one another but I think if Trudeau does well on the campaign and reinforces a Youth, Energetic and Change atmosphere he'll attract more support than Mulcair (and send the NDP below Ignatieff Liberal territory support from 2011 and garner more support than Layton did in 2011).. Mulcair seems to be as dour as Harper - he certainly is not Jack Layton but he is a scrapper so we'll see. Trudeau needs to do well in both Quebec and Ontario.

I also think there is some fatigue amongst Harper's traditional 40 percent (He'll have been PM for 9 years come 2015) and a certain percentage of that is vulnerable so if his performance is lacklustre and Trudeau becomes the more significant voice for change coupled with as you said - the Duffy trial starts to negatively impact his Cons reputation re corruption (ask Paul Martin) than we certainly could be looking at a changing of the guard in 2015. Not sure how much of a dent the Greens will play - I still think they'll be largely insignificant.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-26-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 03:26 PM

415 posts, read 558,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not feeling the same confidence re: Harper's chances because there are quite a few variables at play.. I think it'll largely depend on how Mulcair and Trudeau perform.. I think there is a natural tendency for those 60 percent who most likely will not vote for Harper to lean towards Trudeau. Neither Mulcair nor Trudeau have faced off against one another but I think if Trudeau does well on the campaign and reinforces a Youth, Energetic and Change atmosphere he'll attract more support than Mulcair (and send the NDP below Ignatieff Liberal territory support from 2011 and garner more support than Layton did in 2011).. Mulcair seems to be as dour as Harper - he certainly is not Jack Layton but he is a scrapper so we'll see. Trudeau needs to do well in both Quebec and Ontario.

I also think there is some fatigue amongst Harper's traditional 40 percent (He'll have been PM for 9 years come 2015) and a certain percentage of that is vulnerable so if his performance is lacklustre and Trudeau becomes the more significant voice for change coupled with as you said - the Duffy trial starts to negatively impact his Cons reputation re corruption (ask Paul Martin) than we certainly could be looking at a changing of the guard in 2015. Not sure how much of a dent the Greens will play - I still think they'll be largely insignificant.
Although I have voted Conservative for the last four federal elections, I am not happy with the Harper government, particularly in his dictatorial style as well as his government's indifference to veterans, of which I am one. I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in April (I didn't have a choice as I had reached the Compulsory Retirement Age of 60), and have still not received a dime of my military pension, all due to the Harper government's policy of making it as difficult as possible for military members to collect their pension and severance in an effort to present a balanced budget for the upcoming election.

I will most likely end up holding my nose and voting Liberal next year, as I feel betrayed by the party that I have supported for well over a decade. I voted for his old man in 1972 when I was barely old enough to vote, and for a couple of elections after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada