Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 PM

194 posts, read 423,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
But why do you think you would find a job across the border? With your welfare spot on CV? With their own welfare rolls? Lets ask the topic starter - would she want to see the influx of jobless Canadians to her town?
I am just saying I would have more options than just Alberta.I could look at North Dakota or whatever other US state with low unemployment and lower COL.
I don't think people move to a different country to stay on welfare, they are moving to places where they think they can have a better chance finding a job.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:23 PM

52 posts, read 62,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
That's not going to happen for several reasons.

One reason being it would require a convergence of US and Canadian immigration policies and travel restrictions. Canada has let in groups of people from organizations like Hezbollah into Canada up to 2002. The United States and Canada differ dramatically in this area and America will not have a pure open border with Canada unless it has detailed information about everyone coming and going in Canada...which Canadians tend to have issues with in regards to privacy although security deals have been worked in regards to the United States and Canada they are not enough to satisfy the United States.

Another reason is there is not going to be any supranational government above the United States and Canada. The idea is instantly dead on arrival. A reporter even asked Hilary Clinton about forming a customs union between the United States and Canada and she said we're not going to do that.

I'm not trying to be an ******* when I say this but the United States and Canada are two separate countries and being that we are two separate countries you can't expect the border to be open free and clear between both nations as if you were driving between different states in the US or different provinces in Canada. This is one of the trade offs of both nations being independent.
An open border is more a threat to Canada than the USA. Imagine if 1000's of your Detroit gang bangers piled over the a Windsor border wreaking havoc on the streets of Windsor. No thanks.

Where do you get the idea that Canada is letting in hordes of Muslim terrorists? Ridiculous. You are more likely to be attacked within your own country by one of your own than some Muslim from Canada. If it's any border you should worry about it's Mexico.

Last edited by Canadiangirll; 12-28-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 09:42 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
An open border is more a threat to Canada than the USA. Imagine if 1000's of your Detroit gang bangers piled over the a Windsor border wreaking havoc on the streets of Windsor. No thanks.
Yeah that is a fantasy scenario since before 9/11 all you needed to show was a drivers license to get into Canada from the United States and considering violent crime has been declining since the 1980s in the US I highly doubt you would get flooded with Americans...especially when the #1 country for Americans to move to is Mexico.

Quote:
Where do you get the idea that Canada is letting in hordes of Muslim terrorists? Ridiculous. You are more likely to be attacked within your own country by one of your own than some Muslim from Canada.
Apparently you need to learn how to read better since I stated Canada did let groups like Hezbollah into Canada till 2002 and that the United States and Canada differ dramatically in regards to immigration policy and travel restrictions. I mentioned Hezbollah to show a major difference between the US and Canada in the past in regards to immigration and restrictions on who can or can't get into the country. Even today with convergence between the United States and Canada there are a lot of differences here and it's one area I don't ever see the two countries agreeing on completely.

Quote:
If it's any border you should worry about it's Mexico.
I'm not worried about the Mexican border because Mexico is developing rather well is going to over take Brazil to be the third biggest economy in the western hemisphere and illegal immigration from Mexico has been declining. Mexico despite it's problems has actually been doing rather well.

Last edited by cwa1984; 12-28-2014 at 10:55 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 01:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada could surely allow someone like you or I to live there. They let thousands of third world people into their country who leach off of them and are absolutely useless to their economy yet they make Americans jump through hoops to even have a chance at attaining citizenship.

Canada benefits from the U.S military protection (if anyone ever attacked Canada America would be the one to defend Canada without question) and we are their biggest trading partner. In my opinion, they owe us the chance to live in Canada.
Looks like the Canadian immigration process has weeded out your attitude of self righteous entitlement quite effectively.
How about giving some other countries a try,

Last edited by jambo101; 12-29-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
The CIA actually saved the day there. Not saying Canadians didn't help but the CIA let Canada get the credit for the whole Iranian embassy fiasco.
Remarkably one sided to say the CIA actually saved the day don't you think? It couldn't have saved the day if not for the cooperation of the Canadian Goverment and Canadian Embassy staff in Tehran.. The Canadians put much on the line in that operation so it comes across as remarkably dismissive to state what you did when a foreign country and ALLY bent over backwards as often it does yet seemingly gets met with the exact tone and lack of respect demonstrated in your your comment.. It was a team effort involving multiple entities in both Canada and the U.S.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:22 AM

498 posts, read 543,424 times
Quote:
Canada could surely allow someone like you or I to live there. They let thousands of third world people into their country who leach off of them and are absolutely useless to their economy yet they make Americans jump through hoops to even have a chance at attaining citizenship.

Canada benefits from the U.S military protection (if anyone ever attacked Canada America would be the one to defend Canada without question) and we are their biggest trading partner. In my opinion, they owe us the chance to live in Canada.

LOL This thread is hilarious. It's a lot harder for a Canadian to get into the US . I'm Canadian, my grandfather came through Ellis Island, settled in Minnesota for 5 years then joined the RCMP (father's side) . My grandmother on my mothers side was born in Minnesota then her family moved north to Manitoba. I own a million dollars of property in the USA spend 10 to 20 grand a year there, where does all this get me with US immigration....NO WHERE! They can boot me out after 6 months every year. I would be better off if I had snuck across the Mexico/AZ border than fly into Phoenix!

We do allow skilled Americans to work and become citizens, there are 30 or 40 thousand of them in Calgary. You are not a refugee as your life in the US really would be no different than it would be in Canada so you score no points with immigration.

"Satellite country" lol lol Perhaps you should read some Canadian History and while your at it bone up on the Canadian Military and it's roll around the world.

We "owe" you nothing.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM

20 posts, read 39,248 times
Americans with no criminal record should be allowed to live and work in Canada. I don't understand the opposition?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Americans with no criminal record should be allowed to live and work in Canada. I don't understand the opposition?
Theres no opposition, if you qualify for the immigration process by all means welcome to Canada.
This process also works the other way as many Canadians fail the immigration criteria that is required for permanent USA status.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM

498 posts, read 543,424 times
Quote:

I have no criminal record and greatly contribute to the US economy. I should be allowed in DAMNIT! LOL

Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
I think that Americans and Canadians would benefit if both countries would have a more open border agreement. I am thinking something along the lines of Australia and New Zealand or the Schengen space in the European Union.
Canada and USA are much closer in values than most of the European countries, not to mention they share the same language (except Quebec). If Europe was able to eliminate the borders and allow their citizens to work and live in the country of their choice I don't see why we cannot have the same in North America.
I agree with you in theory, but there is no behemoth in the European Union and no country has direct control over its policies (despite what some have to say about Germany). A US-Canada or US-Canada-Mexico 'union' would mean either (1) US decides everything because it is the strongest by every possible measure (making it a non-starter for Canada and Mexico), or (2) both (all 3) countries are equal (non-starter for the US).

I am also appalled by the fact that in 2014, we still have to deal with rude/dumb/etc border guards on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada