U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Obviously as has been stated globalization and Americanization pose a greater challenge for Canada (and especially Anglo-Canada) where things are more acute because of the proximity and shared language.

On the other hand, it's often said that (Anglo-)Canada is too small to have full entertainment and cultural industries with all the trappings. But that's not true at all. If you take out French Canada (which already has all of that BTW), Anglo-Canada still has more than 25 million people which is plenty big enough for any type of cultural industry to take root. Provided the people take an interest in it and support it.
It also has a lot to do with funding.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,757,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If anyone else remembers the days before cable in Canada and live outside of B.C., Ontario and Quebec, I'd like to know if you could get by antenna a US TV station.
Although I lived most of my childhood years in Toronto, our family also spent a few years in Calgary. On good days, we could pull in some Montana station. Not sure what network it was, and it was snowy (gosh, you've got to be old to understand what that means in relation to TV nowadays), but we occasionally got it in Calgary. Still, it was rare. For all intents and purposes, we got two channels in Calgary: CBC and CTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Stephen Harper does not reflect the views of the vast majority of Canadians. His party has never gotten more than 40 percent of the vote. Their standing is much less now.
As I have said before, few governments of Canada (including Liberals) have been elected with more than 40 percent of the vote, and even fewer with more than 50 percent. (Cite.) It's what happens when you have a multiparty system.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM

84 posts, read 64,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
When it comes to dialect most Canadians who are over 25 or 30 have very noticeable accents while the ones that are younger sound a lot more like Americans. Dialect is a big part of identity so I think this is more than a superficial difference, though you are perhaps right in that imitating the valley girl thing may be something people "grow out of".
In my experience it's not about age as much as it is where you're from. Canadians from major cities sound more 'American' than those from rural areas, and some stereotypical "Canadian" pronunciation traits are actually more of an Ontario thing than nationwide.

That said, the "o" in "orange" and "sorry" is pronounced completely differently by Canadians of all ages. It makes me smile whenever I hear an American ask for a glass of ahhrnge juice

Language aside, having lived in both countries here's what I've noticed:

• The class divide is less obvious in Canada. In California, outward signs of poverty are apparent in a way they just aren't in Alberta. And Canadiangirl is right about Canada's lack of gated communities.

• Religion is just not as much a part the fabric of public life in Canada. Neither is military service. Canada has few places that publicize discounts for military personnel, for example.

• Media in Canada is somewhat less sensationalized. Fox News is just something else.

• In major Canadian cities you don't hear a lot about racism. Granted, Canada doesn't have a very large proportion of people of African descent. In Canada the minorities are often of Asian descent.

• There's something about Canada's safety net that makes life just a little bit less of a struggle. One doesn't ever need to worry about going bankrupt from the cost of a hospital stay. A mother can take up to a year off to care for her newborn. These kinds of things have a subtle but noticeable effect on society.

• The cost of living (housing aside) is way cheaper in the US. I can't get over how comparably inexpensive food and clothes are here.

Both countries have much to love, but there is a bit of culture shock moving from one to the other. It's a case of "Well, this is almost the same; it's just different enough to be bizarre".

Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 PM

20 posts, read 32,951 times
I too feel young Canadians are probably more American and Canadian culture won't last longer than 20 years. Canadians kids, teens and young adults have probably more in common with someone their age in America than they do with the 25 plus generation. This is why I see a Canada as a desirable place to live because the younger generation is basically the same.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,607,347 times
Good post SwizzyFicket.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:02 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
Stephen Harper is nearly universally hated by most people in Ontario (not sure about other provinces). His popularity has waned dramatically and people can't wait to get him out. We all know that last election was "fixed" most people I know wanted Jack Layton as a P.M (RIP) not Harper.

And in terms of Vasteele mentioning "Duck Dynasty" is wildly popular in Canada I say to him "are you kidding"? We aren't watching that crap up here. Those people would be considered hard core hicks. Reality t.v shows like "survivor" and "big brother" have been wildly popular in Canada since the early 2000's.

Vasteele is trying to make it seem like we're rapidly evolving into "Americans" and prior to the year 2005 we were all isolated from American TV shows and culture.

I hope you understand that we have similarities to the a United States but also many differences that are some times subtle at first to see buying you lived in Canada for more than a couple of years you'd begin to watch on.
I kind of see your point but Canada in your view sounds like the land of Strawberry Shortcake.

Stephen Harper's party won more seats in Ontario than any other party. Harper is neck and neck with Trudeau in polling in Ontario right now.

Lots of Canadians watch stuff like Duck Dynasty.

In actual fact, there are very very few aspects of American culture (TV, food, hobbies, etc.) that do not have some kind of decent-sized following in Canada.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 AM

564 posts, read 879,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyFicket View Post
One doesn't ever need to worry about going bankrupt from the cost of a hospital stay.
No, but they certainly can when their insurance stops paying for their expensive drug treatments.

16×9: Some Canadian patients struggling to pay for cancer treatments | Globalnews.ca

When you watch the pain of these people, it's comforting to know we spend over $500,000 year to feed bamboo to a couple of zoo pandas.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM

18,330 posts, read 10,403,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good post SwizzyFicket.

I'll second that.

To Canadian Girl; I'd only caution using some restraint in the use of the word "most" to indicate those of her own demographic as I can assure her that the largest growing demographic in nearly every province within Canada is still the senior one and they would bridle at being thusly pidgeon-holed as fed up with Harper and willing to vote for either of the other two boobs at this time.

Indicating one is fed up and desiring change does not automatically translate to a vote for the other guys if one cannot envision improvement from the status quo.

I myself will take four more years of being fed up ahead of either of the presently available alternates.

One only need look at the leader of the "greenies" to get a feel for Canadian politics and it's frustratingly oxymoronic nature of saying one thing while putting the little "X" in quite another square altogether.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:23 AM

11,763 posts, read 8,323,248 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
I still can't figure out why a majority black city would bother anyone here? As long as it's not a "dysfunctional community" like some black areas within the United States I can not see anyone caring.
Because they are typically bad areas.

We have a bad history when it comes to race, it comes from the huge base of slavery that existed until the mid 1800's, Canada did not have this. The new immigrants from Africa do not fall into this category, they are typically the most well educated and family oriented.

Quote:
Even "bridle path" in Toronto is not gated. If you look look into it you will find it's really not a thing here.
As a Bostonian, I can say that I know of no gated communities here in Massachusetts, in fact I haven't seen them anywhere in the New England or New York areas or anywhere in the northern tier of the US.

Quote:
Most people so have known who were gay in all honesty have never had to hide it. But that's just my observation
"Coming out" is an event that is highly personal and involves close family and friends, it is not a societal or culture issue. You really should not comment on things on which you exhibit such a profound misunderstanding.

Btw, every gay child on the planet had or will have a coming out moment

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 12-31-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 AM

11,763 posts, read 8,323,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
going to debate this one, as younger Canadians are now exposed to the reality of todays job market being multi-national so they're not any more drawn to the U.S. (other than border convenience) then they would be to India or Thailand.

They're aware of the reality of seeking advancement comes with flexibility of moving elsewhere on this planet with the U.S. being convenient, NOT special.
So, you would view moving to India or Thailand for a job opportunity the same as moving to the US?

Lol!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada