U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,283,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
I don't believe the U.S is even close to being as racially mosaic and accepting as us. We have so many non white ethnicities that we easily live amongst and we all get along. No one gets alienated. It's honestly a beautiful thing. Ontario is becoming so ethnically and racially diverse it's unreal.
When you actually have significantly large amounts of minorities in Canada like the US does ie in the United States we have more African Americans then there are Canadians and when Canada has a bunch of majority none white cities then you can play this card otherwise it's you talking out of your *** as normal.

Quote:
The United States has yet to get to this point. You may not be as "racist" as you were 60 years ago but your sure as Hell are not nearly as integrated as you would like to believe. I do not view America as a racist society but it has some things to overcome and attitudes to dispel before you guys reach our point.
lol coming from someone that lives in country with very few minorities in comparison this is rather rich. I seriously got to ask if you've ever even been across the border before.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I also liked his post up until this part

"In practice, English Canadians possess a localized version of American culture, much like that which exists in Texas, New England, the deep South, or the Mid-Atlantic"

I can't really identify with that and think its a bit too simplistic.. I don't identify with being a localized American culture like Texas. It is more like a localized English Canadian culture than localized American English Culture.. Its almost as though, since the U.S is bigger we are just another different version of it - i don't jive with that and I think most Canadians wouldn't either. Its mostly semantics but we have to be careful connecting English Canadian culture with English American culture just because the U.S is larger.. How about just different english regions with various cultures within the Canamerican landscape. Why should we acquiesce to being just another different American culture..
What he's getting at is for example if the United States annexed Canada (I'm just using this as an example to prove a point) that English Canada would just be regarding as another region or region/s of the United States and it wouldn't be alien like if the US had annexed Japan for example. I know in Canada they preach the differences between Canada and the United States but the differences at the end of the day between English Canada and the United States tend to be vastly overblown. As far as the Canamerica comment goes no one in the United States would identify with that whatsoever or the term "North American" either.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM

12,609 posts, read 11,209,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
When you actually have significantly large amounts of minorities in Canada like the US does ie in the United States we have more African Americans then there are Canadians and when Canada has a bunch of majority none white cities then you can play this card otherwise it's you talking out of your *** as normal.

lol coming from someone that lives in country with very few minorities in comparison this is rather rich. I seriously got to ask if you've ever even been across the border before.
In fairness its difficult to capture experiences of one country to another because we don't live the experience of an entire country when it comes to our two nations. If Canadiangirl is say 25 and grew up in Toronto and depending on where, her life experience would be heavily influenced by living amongst many different minorities and ethnicities..

I grew up in the Jane/Finch nabe of Toronto which is one of the most diverse parts of an extremely diverse city.. Often, I was the only white kid in my class.. Point is, most people grow up and live in one area so for them they can absolutely relate to living among significantly large amounts of minorities. Growing up in Timmins Ontario would be a completely different experience.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
What he's getting at is for example if the United States annexed Canada (I'm just using this as an example to prove a point) that English Canada would just be regarding as another region or region/s of the United States and it wouldn't be alien like if the US has annexed Japan for example. I know in Canada they preach the differences between Canada and the United States but the differences at the end of the day between English Canada and the United States tend to be vastly overblown. As far as the Canamerica comment goes no one in the United States would identify with that whatsoever or the term "North American" either.
The point is 'less' alien.. I've said in my posts that there are plenty of similarities and more so than differences - having said that we live on a continent with many different regions and to just lump various parts of English Canada as just any other different part of English America is to dismiss the Canadian aspects of Canamerica.. I'm not saying we are completely different or more so than the same but do I need to say we are English America - no I don't.. Would you want your neck of the woods to be referred to as English Canada? Probably not.. Its not dissing English Canada but you simply aren't just like we 'aren't' English America regardless of similarities or differences.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 PM

22,029 posts, read 27,516,167 times
Quote:
The difference in the number of minorities is not really that great. The US is about 75% white and Canada is about 80% white. Canada has fewer blacks and hispanics but Canada has a lot more Asians and aboriginals in percentage terms.

Of course, in Canada you also basically have a quarter of the country that is like a different country within the country. Even though it's predominantly white it still can feel very foreign to other Canadians. Nothing of the sort exists in the US.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get that, but it doesn't have the ethno-cultural dimension. Kinda takes a lot of the edge off it.
You think so - I see a lot of 'edges'

You still didn't offer up a solution.. Often we are great at identifying issues but real long term solutions are a rather difficult thing to tackle.. Anyway, as you've said we've been at it for 250 years.... Hopefully we'll start working on real solutions.... Time looks to be on our side minus how quickly global warming bites us in the arse.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:22 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,772,776 times
Quote:
When you actually have significantly large amounts of minorities in Canada like the US does ie in the United States we have more African Americans then there are Canadians and when Canada has a bunch of majority none white cities then you can play this card otherwise it's you talking out of your *** as normal....

Looks like we might need to define "minority" in the context of this thread.

I can see where Canadiangirll is coming from. It seems to me (and I may be wrong) that today's Americans classify people into one of three groups: Black, White, and Hispanic. The US is majority White, with a significant number of Blacks, and a good amount of Hispanics.

In Canada, we make further differences: Black African, Black Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Israeli, European, Indian (from India), Pakistani, Chinese, Korean, Sri Lankan, and so on. We often go further, and break things down to nationalities: German, French, Croatian, Romanian, Hungarian, South African white, South African black, Somalian, Algerian, Haitian, Argentinian, Chilean, Costa Rican, Korean, Taiwanese Chinese, PR Chinese, and so on. Forget about the fact that a given guy is black; "He's not Jamaican; he's from the Bahamas." That means a lot here and leads to the belief (true or not) that we are more multicultural than the US.

So how do we define "minority" for the purposes of the discussion?

Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
Canada is more "culturally mosaic" than a melting pot. People are allowed to keep their cultures and display overt signs of difference (hijab, turban ect) whereas in the states this is frowned upon and these people are often subjected to some kind of racism (especially Muslims). Our immigrants I notice tend to integrate more with other Canadians and are generally accepted - on the other hand how likely would it be for an all american guy to befriend a Muslim? Second to none.
For one you can't legally ban wearing a burqa in the United States due to the first amendment. Where as in Canada they can and have. Also if you want to compare muslim integration in the United States there is a day and night difference between Muslim immigrants in the United States vs Europe. In the United States muslims do better then national average and are very well integrated into society overall. In Europe they are segregated and 3rd generation muslim immigrants don't identify with the country they are born into because there parents, grandparents, and themselves have not integrated into society.

Quote:
These are the type of initially subtle but very profound culturally differences in Canada that you'd have to live here for more than a year or so to really pick up on. A visiting American who stays here for a week may come back home saying "I've been to Canada, it's exactly the same" but for someone who stays here longer they'll witness the profundity of our differences.
Have you ever been to the United States for more then a week yourself?

Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,772,776 times
Quote:
For one you can't legally ban wearing a burqa in the United States due to the first amendment. Where as in Canada they can and have.
For those taking an oath. Not in everyday life. Read your own cite and learn something.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In fairness its difficult to capture experiences of one country to another because we don't live the experience of an entire country when it comes to our two nations. If Canadiangirl is say 25 and grew up in Toronto and depending on where, her life experience would be heavily influenced by living amongst many different minorities and ethnicities..

I grew up in the Jane/Finch nabe of Toronto which is one of the most diverse parts of an extremely diverse city.. Often, I was the only white kid in my class.. Point is, most people grow up and live in one area so for them they can absolutely relate to living among significantly large amounts of minorities. Growing up in Timmins Ontario would be a completely different experience.
Oh please she probably grew up in all white neighborhood and is talking out of her *** based on stereotypes since all she does on here is use stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada