U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 05:13 PM

77 posts, read 77,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
The ignorant nationalism and childish inward mentality is keeping us from moving forward as a country.
It is the same fears that feasted on the merging of East German Demokratische Republik with West German Bundesrepublik. This fear stunts growth and the peaceful coming together of people. The petty nationalism keeps us divided, poorer, and more ignorant. The politicians fill heads with doomsday scenarios but for the common man and woman this is the way to progress. In the EU we work together and have taken one step forward to advance humanity. The nationalistic animosities of the past is dissipating and we all benefit to learn our neighbors cultures and work together to create more wealth. Canada has this opportunity to become a progressive forward thinking country, but the fears and petty nationalism must be left behind in the 20th century. It is about creating a better world for out children and ending petty divisions. A country like Canada that values multiculturalism should clearly embrace this.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,262,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Be honest - you are the one with the U.S obsession.. You live there and always post about how the U.S is A++++++++++++++++++++ while Canada is just well little bity innocent envious Canada.. Get real - you are what you are accusing everyone else of being.. You're PROjecting
Interesting, it's ironic you think ilikemike is a USA booster when every post you make is depicting Toronto as the new utopia.

I was thinking the opposite about ilikemike's posts. She is has a different perspective and thinking outside of the box. The conformity in thought gets quite old, and this is a problem in Canada and the US. Ilikemike, Acajack, maclock, NorthYorkEd and several others aren't afraid to think freely and call a spade a spade. It's refreshing to have a real conversation about issues and examine all perspectives - and you are part of that too, you bring to the tablevery conservative viewpoint on these issues while these other posters bring ideas that go outside the box and challenge this.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,135,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
It is the same fears that feasted on the merging of East German Demokratische Republik with West German Bundesrepublik. This fear stunts growth and the peaceful coming together of people. The petty nationalism keeps us divided, poorer, and more ignorant. The politicians fill heads with doomsday scenarios but for the common man and woman this is the way to progress. In the EU we work together and have taken one step forward to advance humanity. The nationalistic animosities of the past is dissipating and we all benefit to learn our neighbors cultures and work together to create more wealth. Canada has this opportunity to become a progressive forward thinking country, but the fears and petty nationalism must be left behind in the 20th century. It is about creating a better world for out children and ending petty divisions. A country like Canada that values multiculturalism should clearly embrace this.
I think you should look at the economic and social progress of Canada as is and get a clue about where we stand... There are very few nations in Europe that have the Per Capita GDP wealth of Canadians and our median family middle class incomes are higher than all European nations.. On top of that, we were among the first countries in the world where gays can openly serve in the military and marry - so how exactly is Canada not prospering and how exactly are we not socially progressive and how exactly would being a unified country with the U.S change these things for the better? Explicame..

Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Interesting, it's ironic you think ilikemike is a USA booster when every post you make is depicting Toronto as the new utopia.

I was thinking the opposite about ilikemike's posts. She is has a different perspective and thinking outside of the box. The conformity in thought gets quite old, and this is a problem in Canada and the US. Ilikemike, Acajack, maclock, NorthYorkEd and several others aren't afraid to think freely and call a spade a spade. It's refreshing to have a real conversation about issues and examine all perspectives - and you are part of that too, you bring to the tablevery conservative viewpoint on these issues while these other posters bring ideas that go outside the box and challenge this.
How are my viewpoints conservative and in relation to what exactly as it relates to the U.S? Canada and the U.S already share a great relationship - one that is fruitful for both in terms of trade, defense, intelligence etc... What exactly more do we need to gain and what exactly is on the table here? What are the enhancements that apparently more openminded Canadians and Americans trying to propose here.. If you will please

Also - please indicate where I stated Toronto was the New Utopia...... Where and when?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:36 PM

One thing that individuals need to realize about Canada is that we are already quite progressive when it comes to expanding trade.. Not just with our U.S partner but with other nations as well.. The goal is to make Canada even more prosperous in the future.. We enjoy expanding relationships with many nations both in trade and even through cultural exchanges..

Here's the latest..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...rade-1.2828707

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade....aspx?lang=eng

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade....aspx?lang=eng

I know this sounds very conservative lol... but I am all for expanded trade and cultural relations with other nations...

Old 01-02-2015, 05:37 PM

77 posts, read 77,143 times
Quote:
I think you should look at the economic and social progress of Canada as is and get a clue about where we stand... There are very few nations in Europe that have the Per Capita GDP wealth of Canadians and our median family middle class incomes are higher than all European nations.. On top of that, we were among the first countries in the world where gays can openly serve in the military and marry - so how exactly is Canada not prospering and how exactly are we not socially progressive and how exactly would being a unified country with the U.S change these things for the better? Explicame..
Thank you for your response, fusion2.

I agree that Canada was a leader in gay marriage. Other than this issue am not so sure. Canada is absurdly poor when it comes to environmentalism (the US is far superior), as the other said the US is making legal weed. Canadians are more accustomed to keeping things the same and rejecting new thoughts. The US in comparison is far more diverse in ideology and thinking and open to thoughts. Canadians live in fear of thoughts coming across the border from Americans and changing things from how they are. This is what I mean by a conservative perspective. Gay marriage is a fine example although other than this example what is Canada moving forward on? An independent Quebec would be more forward moving but it is strapped down by similar fears of moving forward (another conversation). This fear keeps Canadians afraid of change. Hostile to new thoughts. It only serves to divide and keep down the populace. I see Canadians desire to see themselves in a progressive light, but in the real world we live in this is not what I see at all (other than Quebecois). It is a country that is dedicated to keeping things the same and filtering thoughts coming across the diverse thinking giant to the south.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that Canada was a leader in gay marriage. Other than this issue am not so sure. Canada is absurdly poor when it comes to environmentalism (the US is far superior), as the other said the US is making legal weed. Canadians are more accustomed to keeping things the same and rejecting change. Gay marriage is a fine example although other than this example what is Canada moving forward on? An independent Quebec would be more forward moving but it is strapped down by fear in Canada. This fear keeps Canadians afraid of change. Hostile to new thoughts. It only serves to divide and keep down the populace. I see Canadians see themselves in a progressive light, but in the real world we live in this is not what I see at all (other than Quebecois).
Actually, Canada gets an unfair image regarding environmentalism when you have far more nations actually contributing way way more to global greenhouse gas emmisions... China, The U.S and India for example and many many more... You say the U.S is far superior but you do realize that the American consumer is as fossil fuel burning - SUV buying and polluting as any Canadian right?.. The most egregious burner of fossil fuels in the U.S most likely - President Obama flying an almost 30 year old 742 all over.. Our PM flies a much more environmental friendly A310 (European Aircraft btw).. To be honest, unless you're Amish and have a close to or completely neutral carbon footprint - I really think one is talking out of both sides if they are pointing fingers about other being environmental heathens.

As for weed... Its available for medicinal use and if I'm not mistaken, even possesion of small amounts won't land one in jail.. Besides, is this really the benchmark for liberalization nowadays.. I think there are far more important social issues to attend to... I for one prefer the fact that we have paid mat leave for example so parents can spend time with their newborns and not worry about losing their entire pay or even their job for up to 1 year and that employers need to pay for up to I believe 9 weeks pay to employees to tend to terminally ill family members if they are the main caregiver.

I also like the fact that like Europe - Canada has far more labour union penetration than in the U.S..

Speaking of more environmentally friendly businesses.. Our own Bombardier is a global leader in pushing for more enviro friendly Aircraft with the likes of RJ's, Q400's and the New C'Series... You can bet your bottom dollar Boeing and Airbus wouldn't have moved as quickly with their more enviro friendly Neo platforms if it weren't for the C'Series

Last edited by fusion2; 01-02-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
To be honest Nat and call me sheltered lol... I haven't read anything in Ontario about Ontario separating.. Its just not part of the discussion here...

Anyway i've had a great holiday and hope you have as well!
It's a fine distinction, but I'm not talking about a separatist movement in Ontario, or Ontario wanting to separate. The conversations I and Nitwit are referring to, are the possibilities of what COULD happen to the ROC if one major part of that family were to leave.
Sort of like when families go through a divorce, it fractures the remaining ones left....OR it makes them stronger

Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response, fusion2.

I agree that Canada was a leader in gay marriage. Other than this issue am not so sure. Canada is absurdly poor when it comes to environmentalism (the US is far superior), as the other said the US is making legal weed. Canadians are more accustomed to keeping things the same and rejecting new thoughts. The US in comparison is far more diverse in ideology and thinking and open to thoughts. Canadians live in fear of thoughts coming across the border from Americans and changing things from how they are. This is what I mean by a conservative perspective. Gay marriage is a fine example although other than this example what is Canada moving forward on? An independent Quebec would be more forward moving but it is strapped down by similar fears of moving forward (another conversation). This fear keeps Canadians afraid of change. Hostile to new thoughts. It only serves to divide and keep down the populace. I see Canadians desire to see themselves in a progressive light, but in the real world we live in this is not what I see at all (other than Quebecois). It is a country that is dedicated to keeping things the same and filtering thoughts coming across the diverse thinking giant to the south.

Gee; that's some mental gymnastics right there, as Europeans don't even think of themselves as positively as you do, but the rest of the world ranks Germany number one and as for fearful old staid Canada why, goodness me they ranked it number two as having a positive influence upon the rest of the world. Gee imagine that...

BBC News - BBC poll: Germany most popular country in the world

Canada’s international reputation rising: Survey | Toronto Star

The U.S. far superior for "environmentalism" ...oooookaaaaay ......:

Top 5 most polluting countries

Which nations are most responsible for climate change? | Environment | The Guardian

Because you and a few others on here with half baked notions say "it", does not make "it" fact.

Opinions are like belly buttons; everybody has one and yours are "innies" as in.. ,inane and inconsequential.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I agree. You have to see that the more nationalistic Canadians have a stereotypical view of Americans (conservative, cowboy hats) and ignorantly equate this with Alberta being like the US.

The US is as liberal as Canada if not more (wonder when Canada will legalize marijuana??) but the stereotype persists. I live in the US capital now and haven't seen one person wearing a cowboy hat, and people are about as liberal on issues. Albertans have stronger accents than we do in BC and they are more independently Canadian without always eeding to affirm a non-American identity. At the same time none of these people (from any province other than QC or to a lesser extent NL) will appear obviously foreign in the US. Although AB has more subtle differences than BC.

I would call Alberta a place that is more difficult to put in an American region. BC is mostly the same as Washington, Ontario is midwestern (or upstate NY), Maritimes are like New England, but I find Alberta more different from the Americans states nearby. It sticks out more than other Canadian provinces (except QC of course and NL).
Cowboy hats? Nobody here said anything about them. I doubt very much that the majority of Canadians think Americans run around in cowboy hats, I think you are being very disingenuous here. Remember, most of us have visited the US and/or have family there.

To deny the history of Alberta and the fact that thousands of Americans immigrated there and that had an effect on the province is strange, but since you seem to think it doesn't, please enlighten us.
Also the impact of US interests in the oil industry? Nothing? Nada?

Also remember no one said it EXACTLY like a US state, it is definitely part of Canada. If you look at my past post to Hobbsedj who said he couldn't tell a guy from Calgary was Canadian, I was challenging him that Albertans definitely did have Canadianess that is detectable, just not by him. However he later said that Alberta was "Sorry, as an actual American they are clearly among the most Canadian provinces." So I totally gave up on this back and forth logic.

As for Alberta being the most different than states nearby, how is more different than Montana than say B.C. and Washington State? ( which have similarities in geography, but of course no where near the size of B.C. or having the remoteness of B.C. and then Olympia isn't really like Victoria and don't get me going on Seattle and Vancouver LOL )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada