U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 AM

37 posts, read 39,831 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. There's a lot to think over before voting as an informed citizen, as I hope I'll be by October. I am hearing that a coalition govt between the Liberal and NDP may be the best way to stop Harper, but it's not going to happen (the coalition, not stopping Harper hopefully).
Ultimately, I proud of voting for Nader in 2000. He's an American hero that stood up to the auto industry in the 60's and continues to be a progressive voice in a sea of corporatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
The plan to end the subsidy caused a stir for only a few days, iirc. May in particular was upset by it for obvious reasons. But I'm not sure the subsidy was really a factor in how people voted, although it did come up when certain politicians were begging for votes. In the end has the phasing out of the subsidy really changed anything? The Greens seem to be holding steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Well poop. Don't I feel stupid. I'll claim ignorance that I've lived in Texas since 2008.

Regardless, vote for who you like. More choice is good.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,098,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
The plan to end the subsidy caused a stir for only a few days, iirc. May in particular was upset by it for obvious reasons. But I'm not sure the subsidy was really a factor in how people voted, although it did come up when certain politicians were begging for votes. In the end has the phasing out of the subsidy really changed anything? The Greens seem to be holding steady.
I'd be happier keeping private money out of elections. I may be fiscally conservative, but I believe the ground should be even for everyone, not just the best fundraisers. It's just under two years until the next Presidential election here. People are ramping up, and the billions that will be spent is just simply staggering. Elected officials here at anything beyond a small civic level are full time fundraisers/part time civil servants, who pander to their money.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 AM

FDR said "We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob."
I'm curious if things are much different in Canada? Are corporations people? Does the candidate that raises the most money win most of the time?
Please tell me things are better in my future home and native land. Of course, the truth is preferred.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,035,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Are corporations people?
Corporations are people in every advanced common law country. I can't speak to how they are characterised by civil law systems.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:51 PM

261 posts, read 203,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Corporations are people in every advanced common law country. I can't speak to how they are characterised by civil law systems.
I'm not an expert, but I think the only reason why corporate personhood became controversial among American progressives is that courts ruled that because corporations are legal persons, they are entitled to "free speech rights" which includes the right to fund election campaigns. Either without limit or with a very high limit.

This isn't an automatic consequence of corporate personhood. Corporate personhood is a very old concept dating back at least to the Middle Ages if not the ancient world. (Maybe ChevySpoons can give us more information here?) And in many countries legal persons are still subject to limitations on how much money they can contribute to election campaigns, with these limitations different from the ones on physical persons. The fact that courts in the US ruled as they did, is... well, an American idiosyncrasy.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 AM

The reason American progressives and anyone else with a conscious is angry about corporate personhood is because we are living in a quasi banana republic. The electorate at the federal level is not beholden to the citizenry but to multinational corporations that receive "legal" bribery from politicians. It's a sick system and one of the reasons we're living in the new gilded age.
I'm not an expert either, but I'd also like to hear from Chevy since we the taxpayers bailed out his company(ha, ha).

Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 AM

Sorry I meant that the federal officials are not beholden to the electorate. I did say I wasn't an expert.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 AM

9,561 posts, read 9,434,811 times
I don't think a Green Party has ever come to power in any nation.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM

9,561 posts, read 9,434,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Canada has taken a sharp right turn these days. In part (though not entirely) because the moderate and progressive parties, accounting for 60% of the vote last time around (although only 52% in English Canada), but polling higher now, are divided.

So do you want two major parties like the U.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada