U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well i've even shown the EXACT same items at Best Buy at the Canadian stores and U.S stores and put the links to them showing EXACTLY the same price for equiv TV or Tablet yet no response to that.. I even pointed out that Best Buy Canada offers free shipping if you buy 25 dollars worth of goods - in the U.S its 35 bucks...

Anyway I refuse to buy overpriced brands in either Canada or the U.S... If you're open minded and know where to shop there are good bargains to be had here - you just have to get it out of your head that you need to buy Tommy Hilfiger or you need to buy brand X...

I'm glad you're providing a counterpoint (Canadian living in the U.S) to the same old rehashed arguments that Canadians can't provide insight onto the matter because we haven't lived in the U.S..

I haven't lived in the U.S but i've sure shopped there and in Canada and the price gaps aren't always what they are made to be portrayed as.
One final thing and then I will stop my rant.

I hate the idea of cross border shopping. And feel that Canadians who take cross border shopping seriously and do it weekly to buy milk and eggs, need to introspect and re-evaluate their lives.
Stores like Aldi and much of the food at Wal-Mart caters to a large lower income population in the US. So comparing food prices to a city like Toronto is silly.

Why the hell don't Americans go to Mexico and buy eggs, milk, cigarettes and tequila ... it is all cheaper down there ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,376,283 times
UrbanLuis and Brusan, great comments. I have met a few Canadians right here in my hometown and I have always welcome them and offer them the best hospitality possible in this small southern town. l95 runs through my county so, I see Canadians pretty regular as they head down to Florida.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM

626 posts, read 575,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Wow, I had no idea of this. It just goes to show how insular most Americans are, if getting a passport (a one-time thing!) is a major issue for them. I wonder if they would like a taste of my life - having been born in a Third World country and now living in a small city in Canada, I have to fly to either Toronto or Vancouver each time to get a visa for just about every country I want to visit. If all the money I've spent on visas (including travel to the aforementioned cities, pay cuts for taking days off work, and the visas themselves) had been invested in stocks, I'd have made $100K by now.

Yet, despite being so sheltered, so privileged and so un-worldly, Americans look down on those who start off with a disadvantage but manage to make things work. Amazing.

I've been to the U.S a few times but I have no desire to visit again. It's an arrogant nation full of mostly arrogant people who have not seen the world.
Aren't Americans known worldwide for the exact opposite? The American dream is built around this: people starting from nothing, and still being able to make something of themeselve through hard work. I would think most Americans actually look up to these people. It's like one of the positive things about the US. Or have I misinterpreted what you said?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 PM

11,042 posts, read 6,197,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its very common for Canadians to visit the U.S... 90 percent of us are within 200 miles of the U.S border.. Its also very common for people in U.S States, especially those that border Canada to visit us...
True. I remember so many years ago, we didn't even need a passport to go back and forth. Perhaps that is why some don't want to do it now? It's been that long since I've been up to Canada. I have also moved further south since then.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
One final thing and then I will stop my rant.

I hate the idea of cross border shopping. And feel that Canadians who take cross border shopping seriously and do it weekly to buy milk and eggs, need to introspect and re-evaluate their lives.
Stores like Aldi and much of the food at Wal-Mart caters to a large lower income population in the US. So comparing food prices to a city like Toronto is silly.

Why the hell don't Americans go to Mexico and buy eggs, milk, cigarettes and tequila ... it is all cheaper down there ..
Aaaah; actually.......they do. From wintering in Yuma a few years I can tell you those who don't drink the KoolAde line up like lemmings to walk across at Algodonez and San Luis to buy every dang thing you can think of from food through pharmaceuticals and alcohol to tooth implants and tatoos.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaaah; actually.......they do. From wintering in Yuma a few years I can tell you those who don't drink the KoolAde line up like lemmings to walk across at Algodonez and San Luis to buy every dang thing you can think of from food through pharmaceuticals and alcohol to tooth implants and tatoos.
haha .. that is funny. I knew about the pharma not the food.

Next time someone says "milk and eggs are cheaper in US vs Canada" ... I will quote you ..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,376,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Aren't Americans known worldwide for the exact opposite? The American dream is built around this: people starting from nothing, and still being able to make something of themeselve through hard work. I would think most Americans actually look up to these people. It's like one of the positive things about the US. Or have I misinterpreted what you said?
Exactly.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Wow, I had no idea of this. It just goes to show how insular most Americans are, if getting a passport (a one-time thing!) is a major issue for them. I wonder if they would like a taste of my life - having been born in a Third World country and now living in a small city in Canada, I have to fly to either Toronto or Vancouver each time to get a visa for just about every country I want to visit. If all the money I've spent on visas (including travel to the aforementioned cities, pay cuts for taking days off work, and the visas themselves) had been invested in stocks, I'd have made $100K by now.

Yet, despite being so sheltered, so privileged and so un-worldly, Americans look down on those who start off with a disadvantage but manage to make things work. Amazing.

I've been to the U.S a few times but I have no desire to visit again. It's an arrogant nation full of mostly arrogant people who have not seen the world.
So you are going to forego visiting The Grand Canyon, Yosemite , the deserts, the warm beaches, NYC-the city that never sleeps etc, just because you don't like some of the people?
Why deprive yourself of the many wonders of the country because of a few swelled heads?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:02 PM

52 posts, read 49,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
So you are going to forego visiting The Grand Canyon, Yosemite , the deserts, the warm beaches, NYC-the city that never sleeps etc, just because you don't like some of the people?
Why deprive yourself of the many wonders of the country because of a few swelled heads?
What about the many wonders and beautiful landscapes of Canada?

Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,135,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
True. I remember so many years ago, we didn't even need a passport to go back and forth. Perhaps that is why some don't want to do it now? It's been that long since I've been up to Canada. I have also moved further south since then.
Actually Canada didn't change its policy - the U.S did and requires a passport for everyone entering into the U.S - even American citizens.. It did cause a dip in U.S tourism to Canada but that has since rebounded and is now back to the days before the policy kicked in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or