Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM

276 posts, read 330,432 times

Advertisements

Since vast majority (90%) of Canadians live within close proximity to the United States (Less than 160 km from border); Have you or anyone you know (recent immigrants excluded) Canadians never been to the United States for a visit?

Unfortunately I know many Americans who live less than 5-6 hours drive from the Canadian border who has never been to Canada even though all of them would love to visit, especially Montreal/Quebec City and Niagara Falls. Passport requirement is a major issue.

Interesting article: By the numbers - Canada - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Since vast majority (90%) of Canadians live within close proximity to the United States (Less than 160 km from border); Have you or anyone you know (recent immigrants excluded) Canadians never been to the United States for a visit?

Unfortunately I know many Americans who live less than 5-6 hours drive from the Canadian border who has never been to Canada even though all of them would love to visit, especially Montreal/Quebec City and Niagara Falls. Passport requirement is a major issue.

Besides Passports some states/provinces have enhanced driver licenses, I believe it's a cheaper option.

Not sure why passports are an obstacle for Americans when it's obviously not so much so in Canada?

As for knowing people who had never been to the US...no. Everyone I know has been, some much less than others of course.

However I agree that fewer Americans living near the border seem to cross into Canada. I am always amazed when I go to Spokane or even Seattle how many never have even thought of going. I find it very, very strange.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Besides Passports some states/provinces have enhanced driver licenses, I believe it's a cheaper option.

Not sure why passports are an obstacle for Americans when it's obviously not so much so in Canada?

As for knowing people who had never been to the US...no. Everyone I know has been, some much less than others of course.

However I agree that fewer Americans living near the border seem to cross into Canada. I am always amazed when I go to Spokane or even Seattle how many never have even thought of going. I find it very, very strange.
Probably because Americans don't even care about Canada? (As if America is the only world to them)

Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 AM

89 posts, read 209,633 times
Why would you visit the U.S. there are many better places to see.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Its very common for Canadians to visit the U.S... 90 percent of us are within 200 miles of the U.S border.. Its also very common for people in U.S States, especially those that border Canada to visit us...

Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Probably because Americans don't even care about Canada? (As if America is the only world to them)

Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Why would you visit the U.S. there are many better places to see.
Well proximity and cost is a factor.. On top of that there are many interesting places to visit in the U.S.. I love the U.S southwest and its beautiful landscapes which aren't as common up here. Plus some very exciting urban areas - particularly cities such as NYC, NOLA and S.F. Having said that, sure its most certainly a big world out there... Next month for me - Portugal

Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post

Born in Canada, never set foot in the States. Not even by airplane connection. I have been all over the world including the Caribbean and Europe and never once visited U.S. which right underneath me. But I never saw the need to... Perhaps a lot of the Canadian population lives closer to the U.S. high population areas like Vancouver and Toronto close to Seattle, Detroit and Chicago. Or maybe a lot of Canadians have family and friend in the U.S? I lived in the prairies all my life so there was no need going to the U.S. as there wasn't a lot of interesting places close to me. Maybe one day I might visit New York or California for vacation.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:58 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

You do now. I'm a Canadian who has never stepped foot in the U.S. There really is no need though... Like the the poster said there are way more interesting places to go to in the world than the U.S. In fact Canada alone is a more interesting place than the U.S. People who have only been in North America don't know what they're missing.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
According to the US State Department's web site, only 30 percent of US citizens hold a valid passport. In Canada, that number is about 70 percent. Could that explain the difference ?

In my family and circle of friends, I can't think of any one who has NOT been to the States. I spent a total of four years in the US, while serving in the CF, on training exchange programs. Some of the odd ball questions that I was asked by US service members were laughable in their ignorance. I mean ignorance as in "they had no idea at all ". Even the simple stuff like what is the currency called in Canada ?

If it were not for the foreign bases that the US military has to send people to...........Many Americans would have never left the country, at all.

Jim b. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada