Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM

261 posts, read 275,774 times

Advertisements

In the wake of the recent terrorist attacks in France, I've seen a lot of meta-discussion in francophone Quebec media about the difference between how francophone and anglophone media outlets in Canada have covered this tragedy. Now, there was no real difference between how major media have interpreted the events: all saw it as a attack against freedom of speech. But there was a notable difference in the coverage. As early as yesterday, all francophone daily newspapers in Quebec joined together to publish, including in their print editions, the Charlie Hebdo cartoon about Muhammad bemoaning being loved by idiots, as a homage to the deceased satirists.

On the other hand, English-language publications usually refrained from showing the cartoons that appear to have been the proximate cause of the attack. The Montreal Gazette was apparently asked if they would join in with their francophone colleagues, and refused, claiming doing so would be a political act. CBC actually explained why they would not show cartoons: it is not fear, but respect for those who do not want the Prophet to be depicted. On the other hand, more right-wing sources such as the National Post have published a few cartoons from Charlie Hebdo. (My source for the information in this paragraph is Hélène Buzzetti's article in today's Devoir, which is unfortunately behind a paywall.) And it's well-known that some American and British news outlets have gone even further: the New York Daily News, for example, has shown a picture of Charb holding a copy of Charlie Hebdo in front of its firebombed office... but censored in such a way that Muhammad cannot be seen.

Now, we may discuss whether these cartoons should be seen. We may discuss whether we see a cultural difference between anglophones and francophones there, and it would indeed be an interesting discussion. I'm currently listening to Radio-Canada's radio morning show C'est pas trop tôt -- being outside the country I listen to it later in the day, and it also keeps me abreast of the news at home -- and they point out that English-language media worldwide have explained to their audience what Charlie Hebdo is, as if it were a uniquely French concept which is hard to comprehend by English speakers. But for now what I'm mostly interested in is, do we find in Canadian English-language media this meta-discussion about how differently anglophone and francophone media have covered the tragedy? I'm asking the question mostly because I'm interested into how the so-called Two Solitudes are even aware of each other. What I can say is that in this case, the francophone side did notice the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:11 PM

276 posts, read 330,612 times
Quebec has more in common with France than with rest of Canada culturally.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:39 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
In the wake of the recent terrorist attacks in France, I've seen a lot of meta-discussion in francophone Quebec media about the difference between how francophone and anglophone media outlets in Canada have covered this tragedy. Now, there was no real difference between how major media have interpreted the events: all saw it as a attack against freedom of speech. But there was a notable difference in the coverage. As early as yesterday, all francophone daily newspapers in Quebec joined together to publish, including in their print editions, the Charlie Hebdo cartoon about Muhammad bemoaning being loved by idiots, as a homage to the deceased satirists.

On the other hand, English-language publications usually refrained from showing the cartoons that appear to have been the proximate cause of the attack. The Montreal Gazette was apparently asked if they would join in with their francophone colleagues, and refused, claiming doing so would be a political act. CBC actually explained why they would not show cartoons: it is not fear, but respect for those who do not want the Prophet to be depicted. On the other hand, more right-wing sources such as the National Post have published a few cartoons from Charlie Hebdo. (My source for the information in this paragraph is Hélène Buzzetti's article in today's Devoir, which is unfortunately behind a paywall.) And it's well-known that some American and British news outlets have gone even further: the New York Daily News, for example, has shown a picture of Charb holding a copy of Charlie Hebdo in front of its firebombed office... but censored in such a way that Muhammad cannot be seen.

Now, we may discuss whether these cartoons should be seen. We may discuss whether we see a cultural difference between anglophones and francophones there, and it would indeed be an interesting discussion. I'm currently listening to Radio-Canada's radio morning show C'est pas trop tôt -- being outside the country I listen to it later in the day, and it also keeps me abreast of the news at home -- and they point out that English-language media worldwide have explained to their audience what Charlie Hebdo is, as if it were a uniquely French concept which is hard to comprehend by English speakers. But for now what I'm mostly interested in is, do we find in Canadian English-language media this meta-discussion about how differently anglophone and francophone media have covered the tragedy? I'm asking the question mostly because I'm interested into how the so-called Two Solitudes are even aware of each other. What I can say is that in this case, the francophone side did notice the difference.
Well that's one reason I am glad to be living in Québec.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:48 PM

430 posts, read 481,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Quebec has more in common with France than with rest of Canada culturally.
The rest of canada has very little culture of their own.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
The New York Daily News chickened out and blurred a Charlie Hebdo cartoon.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...par6627585.jpg

Massive manhunt after terrorists kill 12 in Paris - NY Daily News

Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM

110 posts, read 104,107 times
Isn't much of the media in English speaking Canada owned by a small group of people? There isn't too many folks deciding editorial policy.

In my mind it is dishonest to show the milder cartoons like the one above and not at least describe the more offensive ones. Many of this magazine's cartoons couldn't be shown in English Canada because of their extreme vulgarity. Perhaps Quebec is culturally less sensitive to such things.

It is hard for me to compare the two because I'm not bilingual. I also like most grab my news from the web. At most I might get about 30% Canadian content.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
This is a tough one.

English language media is probably explaining to English speakers what Charlie Hebdo is, since if you don't speak French you most likely would never of heard of it. I don't think the concept is too foreign to English Speakers since online satirical sites such as The Beaverton and The Onion are hugely popular...albeit I don't believe either has a print edition and I'm not sure they are into satirical cartoons as much.

Charlie Hebdo printed circulation is only 45,000, not much for a country of 66 million. Are there any stats for online clicks for them? I'm wondering if it's fair to associate it so much with French and Quebecois culture? Is it perhaps the difference in the "French language media " culture, rather than the population as a whole?
Did the major newspapers in France, Le Monde etc print the cartoons?

I don't have the answers, but I'm wondering what I would do if I were an editor of a newspaper. Part of me would love to shove back in the faces of the people who did this, but part of me would worry about inciting more violence. Tough choice.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
do we find in Canadian English-language media this meta-discussion about how differently anglophone and francophone media have covered the tragedy?
I was watching live the French coverage today. On the other hand, I was watching live Clinton's deposition on CNN (probably it was a blimp in the French media) and World Trade Center bombing on NBC (I think?). On either side, the most profound coverage was in that culture where the event had happened. When terrorists strike on the anglo side, one doesn't lack coverage at all, rather the opposite.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 AM

171 posts, read 273,845 times
only a slightly related note:
46 examples of Muslim outrage about Paris shooting that Fox News can’t seem to find

Media coverage in general is targeted at whatever their political aims are.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:51 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
There is another, more subtle facet here. In France, this incident is regarded an assault on secularism, separation of religion and state, and science-based atheism. In North America, there is a tendency (although more in the US, obviously) to regard it as a struggle between Islam and Judeo-Christian values. Secularism is not Judeo-Christian. The Christian Right is rubbing its hands with glee at watching two of its enemies duke it out. Their false sympathy is not wanted, not in France, nor anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada