U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Hello, first post here. I am curious about what it was like when Canada declared independence from the UK in 1982. Was there a lot of fanfare or celebrating? Was there opposition, any sadness? Or maybe it was just another day?

Thanks everyone for helping with my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:33 PM

163 posts, read 154,127 times
Québec voted to stay in Canada in 1980 because the federal government made promises to reform if we stayed. Then in 1982 the government reneged on promises for reform with this constitution. 1982 is symbolic of how we were lied to our face. There is no other way to describe this. To this day Québec has not signed this 1982 constitution but being as it is we are still controlled by it today 33 years later. 1982 is a date of mourning in Québec.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:45 PM

10,900 posts, read 23,168,159 times
I was 2 and born and raised in B.C. So chances are was walking about with my ALF Plush toy putting Lego bricks in my mouth and watching Mr.Dressup and Fred Penner at the time.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I was 2 and born and raised in B.C. So chances are was walking about with my ALF Plush toy putting Lego bricks in my mouth and watching Mr.Dressup and Fred Penner at the time.
LOL

I loved lego as a kid.. I remember stacking up the four by two bricks as high as they would go before it would finally topple over.. I don't remember what was more fun - seeing how high I could get it or hearing the smack when they hit the ground..

Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Well, Canada was granted the right to self-government in 1867, then got full legal autonomy when the Westminster Statute was passed on December 11, 1931. When Canada shed its colonial status with the passing of the Canada Act in 1982 it had already enjoyed 51 years of independence so the thing with severing all remaining connections with parliament in the UK in 1982 was kind of a non-event day for me. We all knew it was going to happen eventually, we had known it since 1867 and for me it was just another day of confirmation in the slow but steady evolution towards complete independence and sovereignty in the history of Canada. Easy does it, you know?

I don't remember what I was doing that day, it was a Saturday so I was probably out shopping for groceries for my family or else puttering around planting in the garden and chasing the chickens out of there.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I don't remember what I was doing that day, it was a Saturday so I was probably out shopping for groceries for my family or else puttering around planting in the garden and chasing the chickens out of there.

Don't tell us you were shopping in the U.S now

Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
don't tell us you were shopping in the u.s now
hahaha!

:d

Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 5,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, Canada was granted the right to self-government in 1867, then got full legal autonomy when the Westminster Statute was passed on December 11, 1931. When Canada shed its colonial status with the passing of the Canada Act in 1982 it had already enjoyed 51 years of independence so the thing with severing all remaining connections with parliament in the UK in 1982 was kind of a non-event day for me. We all knew it was going to happen eventually, we had known it since 1867 and for me it was just another day of confirmation in the slow but steady evolution towards complete independence and sovereignty in the history of Canada. Easy does it, you know?

Ok thanks for your input. I am surprised it was an uneventful day for you. On the other side of the coin I see how Canada became independent slowly. Canada was not independent in 1931 though, the military part of Britain's in WWII and same thing with citizenship, Canadians were British citizens until the 1950's some time right? I wouldn't call that independent but I am no expert. Some people say Canada still is not independent due to having a foreign monarch as head of state (I don't necessarily agree with this view because Canada is listed as already becoming independent in 1982).

Anyways, did they say anything on the news about it? Or was it just like another bill being signed by politicans?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodluckJJ View Post
Ok thanks for your input. I am surprised it was an uneventful day for you. On the other side of the coin I see how Canada became independent slowly. Canada was not independent in 1931 though, the military part of Britain's in WWII and same thing with citizenship, Canadians were British citizens until the 1950's some time right? I wouldn't call that independent but I am no expert. Some people say Canada still is not independent due to having a foreign monarch as head of state (I don't necessarily agree with this view because Canada is listed as already becoming independent in 1982).

Anyways, did they say anything on the news about it? Or was it just like another bill being signed by politicans?
The Queen in her position as H.O.S of Canada is simply referred to as the Queen of Canada. It has nothing to do with the UK.. When she is in Australia she is the Queen of Australia. When she is in NZ she is the Queen of NZ.. In each of those capacities - one has nothing to do with the other. Its largely a ceremonial role and has about as practical an impact on our daily life as god does (I'm agnostic)....

Old 01-04-2015, 07:37 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
It was an uneventful day for the vast majority of Canadians. Canada's independence isn't about a monumental day when everything changed. As has been described it happened in stages.

1982 was billed as the ''patriation of the Constitution. Bringing it home. That was the angle.

It got extensive media coverage at the time (especially since there was the controversy of Quebec not signing) but it wasn't billed as Canada gaining its independence.

That day is not a holiday but the 10th, 20th etc. anniversaries of it are mentioned in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or