U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,838 times
Reputation: 569

Advertisements

I live in Victoria, BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,806 posts, read 9,427,662 times
Reputation: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you apply, those reasons won't qualify you when you're asked why you want to move to Canada during your reviews. If anything, they'll strongly count against you because it makes you sound shallow and insincere or as if you're just thinking of moving to Canada as an adventurous lark for your pleasure. I'm not trying to be insulting, just telling you how it is, okay? They don't want to hear about how you think it would be a nice change of scenery for you and that you think Canada is decent, clean, less crowded, peaceful because those things make it sound like you're more interested in what Canada can do for you for your pleasure instead of what you can do for Canada's pleasure.

They want to hear you tell them in all sincerity that you know a lot about Canada, that you know it's history and about its politics and its society and Canadian society's laws, principles and morals and that you agree with all of it. They want you to be able to demonstrate to them what a wonderful and highly skilled, intelligent, mentally and physically well balanced person you are who will be a tremendous asset to Canada that Canada just can't do without. They'll want to know that you will be a good fit in Canadian society and want to contribute your assets, your skills, your heart and allegience to the country because you have the best interests of Canada at heart over and above all other things. Not your own best interests.

Now, one other thing is that even if you had the right attitude and intentions, I think the skills you presently have might not qualify you for immigration because they aren't skills that are in high demand. There are already lots of Canadians with those skills available to fill such positions. New immigrants need to have more specialized skills that are in high demand and for which there aren't enough Canadians with those skills to fill the positions.

I think if you're seriously interested in immigrating to Canada it has to be for the right reasons, and the very first thing you need to do is find out if you would even qualify. That means determining if you have the right education, skills and work experience that's in demand.

So, if you find that you don't qualify, and if you don't have a real problem with the rest of the USA as a whole (except for southern California) then maybe you should focus more on the Pacific Northwest like you've been saying you're thinking of. It's clean, decent, has fantastic scenery and wildlife, it's less crowded, the people are pretty laid back, easy-going and peaceful, the weather is nice at pretty much all times of the year. And it's close enough to Canada that you can visit Canada frequently, and maybe later on if you still feel you want to move to Canada you'll have more personal experience about it and have had a chance to develop more of the required skills that would qualify you.

.
Great info... I too always dreamed of living in Canada. I grew up in the American south and disliked the warm climate immensely and the whole culture overall. I wanted to move north. I'm in my late 40s now and live about as close as you can from the border and in a colder climate, but still doing the job I love. But part of me says boy I wish after a few years of experience in my profession, if only I tried to see if I could immigrate. If not then my question is answered and I knew I did my best. But I didnt try....but got close. I know many Manitobans and they visit our area frequently for shopping. I find people in southern Manitoba to be quite similar in attitude than North Dakotans and northern Minnesotans.... more reserved....dont like conflict and patient (dont want to ruffle anyone's feathers).

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 12:53 PM
 
251 posts, read 190,008 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I just don't like what I see in southern California (VERY overpopulated, smoggy, the roads are terrible, the traffic is terrible, a lot of illegals, and BTW, I know all you Canadians complain about how expensive it is there. But it's no different in southern CA near places like LA or orange county. Also, call me crazy, but I personally don't like the weather in southern california. I can't stand it when it gets over 100F here and it's always bright (my eyes are sensitive to the light).
I agree with you on most of these reasons why SoCal is overrated. However, why is it that you and many other people on these forums cite illegal immigrants as reason for making this place a bad area to live?

The tone of voice that I "hear" when I read that sounded as if you regard them as criminals of the worst sort - or that because they live here they somehow decrease your quality of life...

I know quite a number of people who are here illegally and they work, they put themselves through school, they are an integral part of the economy. They contribute to society - many of them take very low paying jobs here because they are desperate and they can't move up to higher paying jobs because they don't have the papers (so they wouldn't be able to do the background check for many white collar jobs).

Anyways, I bring this up because I have seen the "LA is full of illegals" point brought up on lots of city vs city threads as a point to make it seem like they bring down society. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 05:13 PM
 
18,267 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Reputation: 13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I live in Victoria, BC.
Haar; during my time in Esquimalt the joke about Vic. was "newly weds and nearly deads".

A beautiful city with dedicated vehicles running the streets to water the hanging plant baskets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
15 posts, read 16,260 times
Reputation: 44
Get your head examined

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Currently live in southern CA, yes it's sunny but very dirty. I've always wanted to move to Canada simply because I view it as a generally decent and nice country and more peaceful, less crowded, cleaner, etc. I've been to Vancouver and Toronto but I did that when I was a kid so I don't remember much.

I'm currently 21 years-old about to finish my Bachelors in 6 months and I have about 2 years of administrative/office experience and also 1 year of recruiting/human resource experience. I know that my experience is weak if I want to find a job in a different country. I would still like to move to Portland or Seattle if I were to stay in the US. I don't have a problem with the US, let's not get that twisted. I just really think California is overrated and it's not a place for me personally.

You don't need to tell me about health care because it's not a concern for me right now. Also, you don't need to tell me about weather because I've lived in Minnesota before and have adjusted to it already.
I just don't like what I see in southern California (VERY overpopulated, smoggy, the roads are terrible, the traffic is terrible, a lot of illegals, and BTW, I know all you Canadians complain about how expensive it is there. But it's no different in southern CA near places like LA or orange county. Also, call me crazy, but I personally don't like the weather in southern california. I can't stand it when it gets over 100F here and it's always bright (my eyes are sensitive to the light). And this is coming from someone who's lived in both a hot climate (cali) and also a cold climate (Minnesota), so YES, I DO know what I'm talking about in terms of weather. I've experienced both, and lived in both types of climates for a long period of time to where I would be able to have an honest opinion about it.

I just want to know on a general standpoint of how Canada is, either coming from outsiders or people who have been living in Canada for their whole lives. Would you say that you are happy with Canada as a country? I know everywhere has it's problems, but really I think Canada is just a fine place that is decent. I heard that Canadians like to complain a lot, but from a general standpoint especially coming from outsiders, there's really not much to say about Canada (unlike America). There's a reason why people around the world don't generally think bad of Canada. Any thoughts would be nice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Seattle-WA-USA
678 posts, read 663,368 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas667 View Post
Get your head examined
Get YOUR head examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Seattle-WA-USA
678 posts, read 663,368 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
I agree with you on most of these reasons why SoCal is overrated. However, why is it that you and many other people on these forums cite illegal immigrants as reason for making this place a bad area to live?

The tone of voice that I "hear" when I read that sounded as if you regard them as criminals of the worst sort - or that because they live here they somehow decrease your quality of life...

I know quite a number of people who are here illegally and they work, they put themselves through school, they are an integral part of the economy. They contribute to society - many of them take very low paying jobs here because they are desperate and they can't move up to higher paying jobs because they don't have the papers (so they wouldn't be able to do the background check for many white collar jobs).

Anyways, I bring this up because I have seen the "LA is full of illegals" point brought up on lots of city vs city threads as a point to make it seem like they bring down society. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
You're right. I shouldn't have brought illegals into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 PM
 
Location: the sweetest place on earth
54 posts, read 82,609 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Currently live in southern CA, yes it's sunny but very dirty. I've always wanted to move to Canada simply because I view it as a generally decent and nice country and more peaceful, less crowded, cleaner, etc. I've been to Vancouver and Toronto but I did that when I was a kid so I don't remember much.

I'm currently 21 years-old about to finish my Bachelors in 6 months and I have about 2 years of administrative/office experience and also 1 year of recruiting/human resource experience. I know that my experience is weak if I want to find a job in a different country. I would still like to move to Portland or Seattle if I were to stay in the US. I don't have a problem with the US, let's not get that twisted. I just really think California is overrated and it's not a place for me personally.

You don't need to tell me about health care because it's not a concern for me right now. Also, you don't need to tell me about weather because I've lived in Minnesota before and have adjusted to it already.
I just don't like what I see in southern California (VERY overpopulated, smoggy, the roads are terrible, the traffic is terrible, a lot of illegals, and BTW, I know all you Canadians complain about how expensive it is there. But it's no different in southern CA near places like LA or orange county. Also, call me crazy, but I personally don't like the weather in southern california. I can't stand it when it gets over 100F here and it's always bright (my eyes are sensitive to the light). And this is coming from someone who's lived in both a hot climate (cali) and also a cold climate (Minnesota), so YES, I DO know what I'm talking about in terms of weather. I've experienced both, and lived in both types of climates for a long period of time to where I would be able to have an honest opinion about it.

I just want to know on a general standpoint of how Canada is, either coming from outsiders or people who have been living in Canada for their whole lives. Would you say that you are happy with Canada as a country? I know everywhere has it's problems, but really I think Canada is just a fine place that is decent. I heard that Canadians like to complain a lot, but from a general standpoint especially coming from outsiders, there's really not much to say about Canada (unlike America). There's a reason why people around the world don't generally think bad of Canada. Any thoughts would be nice. Thank you.
I so agree with you. After I get back to the US from teaching English in China, I want to move to Canada. No desire to be in California for long. If not, I will choose Oregon or Washington. What sucks is you need a **** ton of green bucks to immigrate it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,838 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar; during my time in Esquimalt the joke about Vic. was "newly weds and nearly deads".

A beautiful city with dedicated vehicles running the streets to water the hanging plant baskets.
Maybe was a grain to truth to this, but Victoria is a pretty cool place with surf shops, sailing, a west coast vibe, and a few urban-type neighbourhoods. Not to mention a growing tech sector, local agriculture and an increasingly diverse population. And the locals - at least the non-retired population - are more likely to go to a brew pub or hip coffeeshop than " high tea." As I understand it, the faux British image was concocted as a tourist promotion ages ago. From what I hear, the Victoria of old was more to a rough and tumble logging town than anything else, but I wasn't here so may be mistaken. (And Vic's still rough around the edges downtown). Don't mean to go on, but those of us who live here are doing our best to shake the retrograde image that was cultivated in past decades ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 09:34 PM
 
18,267 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Reputation: 13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Maybe was a grain to truth to this, but Victoria is a pretty cool place with surf shops, sailing, a west coast vibe, and a few urban-type neighbourhoods. Not to mention a growing tech sector, local agriculture and an increasingly diverse population. And the locals - at least the non-retired population - are more likely to go to a brew pub or hip coffeeshop than " high tea." As I understand it, the faux British image was concocted as a tourist promotion ages ago. From what I hear, the Victoria of old was more to a rough and tumble logging town than anything else, but I wasn't here so may be mistaken. (And Vic's still rough around the edges downtown). Don't mean to go on, but those of us who live here are doing our best to shake the retrograde image that was cultivated in past decades ...
I've been back out there many times over the years and I wouldn't rush to change the image from old.

That city is a wonderful place and changing it rapidly would be a mistake. Let it morph at it's own comfortable and sedate rate. Got to agree that paying over $50 to experience a High Tea at the Empress with two tour buses full of kids wearing cut-offs, tee shirts and flip-flops would be a colossal waste of time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top