Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Essentially I think this is the most important thing.. I don't go to the LCBO for a customer experience though I will admit SAQ employee's recieving Sommelier training is a very nice touch.. Looks like both could learn from one another in different ways - usually the way
It's kind of a metaphor for how on a broader level how Quebec and Ontario, despite being Siamese twins joined at the hip, almost never seem to think that one can learn anything from the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
your franco-lebensraum crowd (thanks for the term btw) .
French was once the main language of a fairly large area of Canada and even North America and its decline in many places came about as a result of government policies, not some natural evolution. Every single province in Canada except Quebec at one time or another had laws on the books banning French-language education for francophones.

I am in my 40s and in my lifetime two communities I've actually lived in have transitioned from having French as the main language to places that function almost entirely in English with only a small place left for French, if any.

The issue in Quebec (and to a lesser degree a few parts of New Brunswick) is of not having French relegated to insignificance or even oblivion in the only corner of the continent where it has retained its status as the main societal language.

Some lebensraum. It's more like the village gaulois in Astérix. Assuming you know what that is.

You guys are the Roman Empire complaining that there isn't enough Latin spoken inside the last remaining Gaulois village in all of western Europe.

And you think we're gonna take your gripes seriously?

Last edited by Acajack; 01-10-2015 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 10:40 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Beer Stores in Ontario are just plain odd. It reminds of Soviet Russia.
Most stores built in the last twenty-five years or so are self-serve. The older "cooler box" stores, where you place your order with a guy who barks it into a microphone, are still out there, though. It would cost a lot to convert them, so they remain.

I worked for the Beer Store, years ago. Any questions, just ask.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Bah I am more of a Captain Morgan's Deluxe Dark Rum person
Deluxe Dark - A blend of dark Caribbean rums, aged in white oak barrels, only available in Canada.
Captain Morgan DeLuxe
That looks very nice... I will try it but only for a special occasion.. I actually have a bottle of Captain Morgan Dark Rum that I got for Xmas - not bad! Otherwise my go to will be a 3 dollar bottle of light cuban rum... Can't beat the price and as mentioned has the desired impact

Do you like or have you tried Havana Club 7 year Rum?

Last edited by fusion2; 01-11-2015 at 01:37 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
The BC government liquor stores are fantastic. Huge selection, especially in their Signature stores. Staff always seem nice. Wine experts for certain in the Signature stores and most often in the other stores. Of course my main experiences are in the Lower Mainland.

They also produce a great magazine with tempting recipes.

Taste Magazine | BC Liquor Stores
Thanks! Will have to take a look at them once i'm back out west! I'm overdue for a trip to B.C actually!!

Old 01-11-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Most stores built in the last twenty-five years or so are self-serve. The older "cooler box" stores, where you place your order with a guy who barks it into a microphone, are still out there, though. It would cost a lot to convert them, so they remain.

I actually prefer getting my beer at the LCBO on the rare occasion I actually buy it for home consumption.. Better selection of craft beers I find... I only go to the beer store to return my bottles and cans. Its an in and out affair - too many sketchy people at the Beer Store and I don't like the selection..

Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Are the new self-serve stores inviting...meaning the opposite of the old type.

I guess the reason I found the barking into the microphone type so odd is that B.C. got rid of that type of store in the 1970's. It just seemed backwards.

Speaking of B.C. When we had " Soviet " style liquor stores they made you feel almost guilty for buying liquor. Not the employees, but the set up.
You really had to know what you wanted. No credit cards accepted. No children allowed in the store.
Compare that to today, where BC Liquor stores have done a 180 degree turn.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Hmmmm. A thread about Quebec has turned into a thread about beer. Oh Canada. LOL

Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm. A thread about Quebec has turned into a thread about beer. Oh Canada. LOL
It's probably better that way. Look at the other one and where it's going.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's probably better that way. Look at the other one and where it's going.
I did. LOL

I wonder how many bashing Quebec have actually been? I wonder how many have talked to a variety of people in Quebec, before assuming so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada