U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Merci! We love you too!

As for the part highlighted, it's a popular mischaracterization, likely aimed at confirming certain prejudices people already have. The truth is people outside Montreal in the regions of Quebec tend to hold progressive, left wing views in similar proportions to Montrealers, and have voted for parties that espouse these views fairly consistently for as long as I can remember.
That whole post was an ignorant mischaracterization..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Canada
325 posts, read 295,220 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Merci! We love you too!

As for the part highlighted, it's a popular mischaracterization, likely aimed at confirming certain prejudices people already have. The truth is people outside Montreal in the regions of Quebec tend to hold progressive, left wing views in similar proportions to Montrealers, and have voted for parties that espouse these views fairly consistently for as long as I can remember.
I lived in Quebec. Outside of Montreal it is the most homogenous place on the continent. Even people have the same last names (gagnon, tremblay, levesque, repeat). I don't really care if Quebeckers vote for more taxes, or government daycare, in day to day dealings they are as backwards as it gets in North America.

Tell me, what's "progressive" driving out a million inhabitants under draconian ridiculous language laws? What's "progressive" about having a language police? What's progressive about fining restaurants for writing a non-French word like "pasta" on their restuarant menu?

Quebec language police order Mandy’s salad bar to remove English signs from shop in anglophone area | National Post

My battle with the language police as an anglo professional in Quebec - The Globe and Mail

Quebec language police target English retail websites - Montreal | Globalnews.ca

Last edited by modernrebel; 01-07-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
2,174 posts, read 4,398,364 times
Reputation: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I lived in Quebec. Outside of Montreal it is the most homogenous place on the continent. Even people have the same last names (gagnon, tremblay, levesque, repeat). I don't really care if Quebeckers vote for more taxes, or government daycare, in day to day dealings they are as backwards as it gets in North America.

Tell me, what's "progressive" driving out a million inhabitants under draconian ridiculous language laws? What's "progressive" about having a language police? What's progressive about fining restaurants for writing a non-French word like "pasta" on their restuarant menu? Is it "progressive' to fine a family for writing "Toronto" on their moving boxes?

Quebec language police order Mandy’s salad bar to remove English signs from shop in anglophone area | National Post

My battle with the language police as an anglo professional in Quebec - The Globe and Mail

Quebec

Quebec language police target English retail websites - Montreal | Globalnews.ca
Can't comment on the others but I believe the moving boxes story is from a hoax site, The Beaverton, which is like a Canadian version of The Onion The Beaverton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though it looks like someone did create an actual petition to support the supposed family at the heart of this dispute: Petition Demanding the Office québécois de la langue française drop the $3,000 fine against the Miller family for writing 'Toronto' in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Canada
325 posts, read 295,220 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Can't comment on the others but I believe the moving boxes story is from a hoax site, The Beaverton, which is like a Canadian version of The Onion The Beaverton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though it looks like someone did create an actual petition to support the supposed family at the heart of this dispute: Petition Demanding the Office québécois de la langue française drop the $3,000 fine against the Miller family for writing 'Toronto' in English.
True, but the fact that this story can pass as true says something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Canada
325 posts, read 295,220 times
Reputation: 536
Here is another one where the language police graciously decided NOT to fine a woman for writing in English on her FACEBOOK!

Quebec language police won't fine store owner for Facebook page | CTV News

How merciful they are! And here is a quote posted in the comments section which I can wholly identify with:

"I was born in Quebec, raised an Anglophone. My father a French speaking Quebec born man, my mother an English speaking Quebec born woman. Living here in Quebec for over fifty years I absolutely feel unwanted. Many of what I consider my basic rights have been taken from me however I still live in Quebec. This is where my roots are, this is where my kids, grandkids live, this is my home. I will never be considered a 'true' Quebecer although I speak French."

Quebec has created a society where English speaking Canadians are 2nd class citizens. French speakers have the priority in jobs. When I lived in Quebec my company was made to hire all "Quebecois" (i.e. French speaking) employees. Most were not qualified for the job, but the managers had no choice but to hire them (lest they face off with the government of Quebec). We had plenty of qualified English speakers who applied, but do you think they got the job? Of course not. An unskilled French speaker has priority over the skilled English speaker, even when our company did almost all of our business with the US! For several years I tried hard to immerse myself in the language and culture, but to no avail. Me along with all the other immersed anglophones were always treated like buffoons no matter what. That backwards province is for pur laine Quebecois only, anyone else is less than equal.

Don't believe me? Go try living there for yourself as anything other than a white francophone Quebecois and then let's talk about how "progressive" Quebec is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,569,738 times
Reputation: 8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Here is another one where the language police graciously decided NOT to fine a woman for writing in English on her FACEBOOK!

Quebec language police won't fine store owner for Facebook page | CTV News

How merciful they are! And here is a quote posted in the comments section which I can wholly identify with:

"I was born in Quebec, raised an Anglophone. My father a French speaking Quebec born man, my mother an English speaking Quebec born woman. Living here in Quebec for over fifty years I absolutely feel unwanted. Many of what I consider my basic rights have been taken from me however I still live in Quebec. This is where my roots are, this is where my kids, grandkids live, this is my home. I will never be considered a 'true' Quebecer although I speak French."

Quebec has created a society where English speaking Canadians are 2nd class citizens. French speakers have the priority in jobs. When I lived in Quebec my company was made to hire all "Quebecois" (i.e. French speaking) employees. Most were not qualified for the job, but the managers had no choice but to hire them (lest they face off with the government of Quebec). We had plenty of qualified English speakers who applied, but do you think they got the job? Of course not. An unskilled French speaker has priority over the skilled English speaker, even when our company did almost all of our business with the US! For several years I tried hard to immerse myself in the language and culture, but to no avail. Me along with all the other immersed anglophones were always treated like buffoons no matter what. That backwards province is for pur laine Quebecois only, anyone else is less than equal.

Don't believe me? Go try living there for yourself as anything other than a white francophone Quebecois and then let's talk about how "progressive" Quebec is.
Cry me a freakin river! Now you know how Francophones have been treated in the rest of Canada since confederation!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Cry me a freakin river! Now you know how Francophones have been treated in the rest of Canada since confederation!!!!
Be aware Francophones living outside Quebec dont have to abide by an English equivalent of Bill101 or have the English equivalent of the OQLF/language police.Francophones living outside Quebec have as much cultural and linguistic freedom as their numbers warrant.

lucknow perhaps a few examples to make your point of how the French have been so hard done by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I lived in Quebec. Outside of Montreal it is the most homogenous place on the continent. Even people have the same last names (gagnon, tremblay, levesque, repeat). I don't really care if Quebeckers vote for more taxes, or government daycare, in day to day dealings they are as backwards as it gets in North America.

Tell me, what's "progressive" driving out a million inhabitants under draconian ridiculous language laws? What's "progressive" about having a language police? What's progressive about fining restaurants for writing a non-French word like "pasta" on their restuarant menu?

Quebec language police order Mandy’s salad bar to remove English signs from shop in anglophone area | National Post

My battle with the language police as an anglo professional in Quebec - The Globe and Mail

Quebec language police target English retail websites - Montreal | Globalnews.ca
More prejudices. Congratulations. You've just outed yourself as a (former) Quebec "angryphone".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Canada
325 posts, read 295,220 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Cry me a freakin river! Now you know how Francophones have been treated in the rest of Canada since confederation!!!!
1. My mother is a Quebecoise, and my father the son of Irish immigrants, why do I need to be punished? Why do I need to be taught "know what it was like for francophones" in Canada? I had no part in this, and I am descended from the people who were discriminated against. If we are going to go that route, shouldn't Ontario, Manitoba, and the other provinces that discriminated against French Canadians also be punished?

2. Is this what you call "progressive"? Forcing cultural colonialism on the minority? Stamping out multiculturalism? Quebec is doing the same thing that Canada stopped doing in the middle of the 1960's. How is that "progressive"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
I am going to try and get us back on topic with a post that answers the OP in a few minutes, as I think that is where this should stay.

The reason being is that presumably a person who chooses to move to Quebec in 2015 (what this thread is all about) will be aware that Quebec is a mainly French-speaking society and that he or she will need to adapt to this reality. For a lot of them, the fact that Quebec is francophone is actually kind of part of the allure. They move to Quebec because of the French fact, not in spite of it.

This is somewhat different than the views of certain anglophones already in Quebec (some of them native, some of them non-native but established usually prior to 1980s-90s) who sometimes live in Quebec in spite of the French fact and often bemoan (sometimes bitterly or even hyperbolically) that Quebec is not wall-to-wall bilingual to the point where they don't have to deal any of that "French crap" in their everyday lives. French is cool and all that, just as long as it's only backdrop like a fake town on Western movie set and that I can live here pretty much as I would in Brampton, Ontario or Royal Oak, Michigan.

It's the anglo-lebensraum crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top