U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Is there such thing as English Canadian national culture? I think not. I see it like a American state with an independent government.
I don't think English Canadian culture is particularly strong.. I'd say Canadian values would be stronger or at least what we see as values and of course Hockey lol.. In some ways i'd say we've been more socially progressive than other anglo countries. The reason why I think we have played a much more minor cultural role is because we have have historically played second fiddle to the UK and more recently the U.S - both English cultural behemoth's... If the roles were reversed and Quebec was in English Canada's position beside the cultural juggernaut of a U.S that was French dominated I think it would have the same reality or similar.. There may be other reasons but to me they aren't really important to get into and don't make me feel as an English Canadian as though i'm inferior. There's nothing wrong with wearing the maple leaf around the world nor is there anything wrong with being Canadian.. We truly enjoy one of the best Q.O.L in the world and if people think otherwise they truly need to travel more...

All that aside I don't see this as reason enough for Canada not to be considered an independant country - we clearly are a smaller player than the U.S but we have 1/10th the population - stands to reason but distinct from it yes and we don't need to justify our existence to anyone as far as I'm concerned.

Its like the guy who said Quebec has a lower Per Cap GDP than every U.S State except for Mississipi - while he is correct part of the reason why I think Q.O.L in Quebec is higher than many many U.S States is because of how wealth is distributed in Canada and our social programs (particularly Q.C which has the most progressive in Canamerica for example).. These are things that I think we should strive to maintain in our nation and if anything some of us don't take enough pride in.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-26-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:14 PM

163 posts, read 154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think English Canadian culture is particularly strong.. I'd say Canadian values would be stronger or at least what we see as values and of course Hockey lol.. In some ways i'd say we've been more socially progressive than other anglo countries. The reason why I think we have played a much more minor cultural role is because we have have historically played second fiddle to the UK and more recently the U.S - both English cultural behemoth's... If the roles were reversed and Quebec was in English Canada's position beside the cultural juggernaut of a U.S that was French dominated I think it would have the same reality or similar.. There may be other reasons but to me they aren't really important to get into and don't make me feel as an English Canadian as though i'm inferior. There's nothing wrong with wearing the maple leaf around the world nor is there anything wrong with being Canadian.. We truly enjoy one of the best Q.O.L in the world and if people think otherwise they truly need to travel more...
Quote:
All that aside I don't see this as reason enough for Canada not to be considered an independant country - we clearly are a smaller player than the U.S but we have 1/10th the population - stands to reason but distinct from it yes and we don't need to justify our existence to anyone as far as I'm concerned.
I do not think having American culture invalidates Canadian independence. But I do find it bizarre because Canada was settled by direct Britishers in the days before television and internet still they took a culture hardly differentiated from American culture. The question is why? One imagines Canadians should resemble Australian/Zealand cultures.

Quote:
Its like the guy who said Quebec has a lower Per Cap GDP than every U.S State except for Mississipi - while he is correct part of the reason why I think Q.O.L in Quebec is higher than many many U.S States is because of how wealth is distributed in Canada and our social programs (particularly Q.C which has the most progressive in Canamerica for example).. These are things that I think we should strive to maintain in our nation.
Quality of life is all speculation because quality of life is a subjective topic. 1/3 Canadian household are entirely broke after paying bills. I do think though that Canadians see that Americans are measureably superior economically and in science, so in repsonse Anglo Canadians attempt to compensate by creating myths of quality of lives. This way there is validation for being different than Americans.

I see a is a complex of inferiority among Anglo Canadians. To combat this they create some beliefs like quality of life superiority, something entirely immeasurable and speculative, as a method of satisfying this complex. I hope I can say without provocation the entire thing looks a tad desperate. The Québecois are not nearly so obsessed with Americans or satisfying a complex.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM

237 posts, read 185,874 times
Quote:
I see a is a complex of inferiority among Anglo Canadians. To combat this they create some beliefs like quality of life superiority, something entirely immeasurable and speculative, as a method of satisfying this complex. I hope I can say without provocation the entire thing looks a tad desperate. The Québecois are not nearly so obsessed with Americans or satisfying a complex.
English Canadians are world famous for their "inferiority complex". At least Québec does not need to pretend to be something it is not.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I do not think having American culture invalidates Canadian independence. But I do find it bizarre because Canada was settled by direct Britishers in the days before television and internet still they took a culture hardly differentiated from American culture. The question is why? One imagines Canadians should resemble Australian/Zealand cultures.
Who cares - I don't really find Australia or New Zealand to have strong culture either..

Quote:
Quality of life is all speculation because quality of life is a subjective topic. 1/3 Canadian household are entirely broke after paying bills. I do think though that Canadians see that Americans are measureably superior economically and in science, so in repsonse Anglo Canadians attempt to compensate by creating myths of quality of lives. This way there is validation for being different than Americans.
Well move to Tunisia, Morocco, Cuba, Mexico or 140 (Including many French speaking African countries) plus other nations in the world and get back to me. Until then I'll simply invalidate this observation as being patently naive.

Quote:
This whole inferiority complex thing is getting extraordinarily tired imo - but if you want to bring that angle into it than by all means try to rationalize it in that way. You're getting nowhere with me with it. As for obessession with the U.S don't know where you got that from - I simply said we live next to a country ten times our population - stands to reason we are going to be culturally subservient. Tonight i'll happily watch House Of Cards - its a great American show, nothing desperate about me enjoying American media.. Having said that, if you want to become American knock your socks off..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-26-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
English Canadians are world famous for their "inferiority complex". At least Québec does not need to pretend to be something it is not.

red zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Orange pretending or wanting to be what - American, I thought Quebecers were receptive and open lalala and English Canadians were closed minded, have a complex and were in denial suffering from delusions of grandeur - talk about ironic lol....

Btw if you actually read the content of my posts - i've stated time and again that I respect and understand Quebec's position being a minority language/culture in Canamerica................ crickets

Last edited by fusion2; 01-26-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Who cares - I don't really find Australia or New Zealand to have strong culture either..
I think Australia has a pretty strong culture. There are many similarities between it and Quebec in fact.

NZ is another story as it relatively small (about the same population as Greater Montreal) and is bombarded with Aussie, American and British stuff. Doesn't leave much space for uniquely Kiwi stuff.

Though they try.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:

This whole inferiority complex thing is getting extraordinarily tired imo -..
I think that inferiority complex is a bad choice of words.

Probably a more accurate term would be ''identity crisis", as in not quite knowing what you are or want to be (when you want to grow up?).

Quebec doesn't really have an identity crisis as it has a pretty clear idea of what it is. But it does have the never-ending conundrum of where it "wants to go'', as in inside or outside of Canada.

Canada should be fertile ground for group therapists!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think Australia has a pretty strong culture. There are many similarities between it and Quebec in fact.

NZ is another story as it relatively small (about the same population as Greater Montreal) and is bombarded with Aussie, American and British stuff. Doesn't leave much space for uniquely Kiwi stuff.

Though they try.
Well you could be right regarding Australia - you've been there I have not.. Essentially and it may sound rather dismissive of the place but I have no real interest in going there.. For me its kind of like a warmer English Canada - some beaches and some different scenery but that is really it for me.. I prefer cultural and historical trips and Australia doesn't pack much in that regard from my perspective..

As for it having a stronger culture than English Canada - sure but its also pretty remote and distance may help that along..

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think that inferiority complex is a bad choice of words.

Probably a more accurate term would be ''identity crisis", as in not quite knowing what you are or want to be (when you want to grow up?).

Quebec doesn't really have an identity crisis as it has a pretty clear idea of what it is. But it does have the never-ending conundrum of where it "wants to go'', as in inside or outside of Canada.

Canada should be fertile ground for group therapists!
The 'identity crisis' very much could be that English Canada is not as united a force as we would like to contend.. I do think the sum of this place that is all of Canada however is very much greater than the parts, even though that isn't very self evident apparently. For that problem, group therapy is very much in order..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 AM

261 posts, read 203,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I don't know if English Canadians are known for any inferiority complex. They may be known for being largely indistinguishable from Americans (or just like Americans, only "nicer"), and resent the fact that they don't have any unique national characteristic in the eyes of the world, but from where I'm looking they appear to be quite proud of their society. That's not what I'd call an inferiority complex, though I guess it's possible that the pride is only superficial. I'd be more likely to describe Francophone Quebecers as having an inferiority complex.

Quote:
Quebec doesn't really have an identity crisis as it has a pretty clear idea of what it is.
I'm not so sure. Quebec is aware of its existence as a nation, that is true. But at the same time it could be described as simultaneously French, American, and Canadian, and trying to decide which of these influences should define it more. This is why there can be quite bitter debates in Quebec society, about anything in fact, from the role religion should play in public discourse to how the French language should be written and spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or