U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM

1,244 posts, read 983,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Sounds bizarrely obsessive to sit outside Walmarts counting fat people, but hey, we all have to have hobbies!

Quebec is nice, though. I have visited several times and it sure wouldn't kill me to live there.
It doesn't even sound accurate either. I know almost no fat people. A lot of the obesity in the US will be found in the poorest communities and yeah a lot of them shop at Wal Mart. But once you get into the middle class and upper class communities people are pretty healthy. My high school was a middle to upper middle class district and I can only remember one fat kid in all my periods for the day during my senior year. He was a lineman on the football team though so he was a strong mf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,181,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
It doesn't even sound accurate either. I know almost no fat people. A lot of the obesity in the US will be found in the poorest communities and yeah a lot of them shop at Wal Mart. But once you get into the middle class and upper class communities people are pretty healthy. My high school was a middle to upper middle class district and I can only remember one fat kid in all my periods for the day during my senior year. He was a lineman on the football team though so he was a strong mf.
Its silly to make generalizations - on the whole though, the U.S is a fatter nation than Canada in terms of relative percentage of obesity.. Is it a big deal.. depends on who you ask ie.. it might be more expensive in the long run to treat the negative long term health impacts of a fatter nation but in the grand scheme of things its not that much of a big deal..

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,764,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Non-Americans are really obsessed with fat Americans for some reason, when i see a fat person its really no big deal.... like oh look he's fat, okay back to what i was doing....

idk, body weight is just not that significant to me (even if i am looking for a girl). so its strange to me to see all these people having serious conversations about places with a lot of fat people.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Non-Americans are really obsessed with fat Americans for some reason, when i see a fat person its really no big deal.... like oh look he's fat, okay back to what i was doing....

idk, body weight is just not that significant to me (even if i am looking for a girl). so its strange to me to see all these people having serious conversations about places with a lot of fat people.
lol no we aren't - its just a fact that America is a fatter nation.. Mexico too!! Canada is skinnier than both but its still nothing to brag about on a global scale.. Anyway its not good or bad by and large but there are negatives when a larger percentage of any nation is obese due to health concerns and those concerns can't just be dismissed. It doesn't make a person less than others though as a human being... As a matter of fact there may be more humility which is always a refreshing thing!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol no we aren't - its just a fact that America is a fatter nation.. Mexico too!! Canada is skinnier than both but its still nothing to brag about on a global scale.. Anyway its not good or bad by and large but there are negatives when a larger percentage of any nation is obese due to health concerns and those concerns can't just be dismissed. It doesn't make a person less than others though as a human being... As a matter of fact there may be more humility which is always a refreshing thing!
Its just strange that you are keeping track of stuff like this...

What are the negatives? the only thing i don't like how its okay for people to tell me (a abnormally skinny dude) that i should eat more. but if i told a fat person "hey you should eat less" all hell would break loose.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,021,809 times
Quote:

What are the negatives? the only thing i don't like how its okay for people to tell me (a abnormally skinny dude) that i should eat more. but if i told a fat person "hey you should eat less" all hell would break loose.
Obesity adds an estimated $190b to national healthcare spending. In the current climate where more people will be insured due to the ACA, it is a huge deal. I dont look down on heavy people because generally what others choose to do with their lives is none of my business, but if peoples lifestyle choices are having a direct effect on a huge portion of our national budget then it becomes everyones business.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I don't find it strange and I don't think people are seeking info like this out... Articles like this are plastered all over the news.. Yahoo has a top ten list everyday lol...

Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Obesity adds an estimated $190b to national healthcare spending. In the current climate where more people will be insured due to the ACA, it is a huge deal. I dont look down on heavy people because generally what others choose to do with their lives is none of my business, but if peoples lifestyle choices are having a direct effect on a huge portion of our national budget then it becomes everyones business.
Totally agreed and its not just a U.S problem.. Canada has a pretty crappy obesity rate and its costing us billions as well.. Obesity rates are on the rise all over!! It is a health concern and it is an increasing burden on any H.C system..

Last edited by fusion2; 02-04-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Most people have been insured for a while now and it doesn't seem to be a big drag on the rest of us.

$190b added to national healthcare spending? how much does that cost to us on an individual level?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM

To lighten things up - hey there's also negative in being too skinny..... especially walking down a runway with high heels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eINGyJHz8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or