U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM

276 posts, read 263,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
1. Quebec still remains one of the coldest places in North America. I just checked the weather, it's -10 in Toronto, -7 in New York, and -17 in Montreal. I'm sorry but it's just colder.
2. True that Quebec is cheaper but salaries are commensurately much lower. I had an interview with Air Canada once on the phone and they were offering a salary that I made 5 years ago for a higher level position. My own sister worked there and was paid significantly lower as well. Quebec is a slow growth economy and most of the big businesses left for Toronto long time ago. Today, there are no where near the number of higher paying jobs or long term economic opportunities. The system may work for you, which is fine, but not for others who want more.
3. I don't understand your point. I clearly agree. English-only speakers are at a crippling disadvantage in Quebec.
1. There's a difference between current weather and climate.... Parts of Upstate NY and Upper midwest have colder and snowier winters than Montreal. Some days Montreal may have warmer weather than New York and Toronto; it's weather. Montreal still has warm and often humid guaranteed summers, so big deal. You may same type of clothing in all cold winter cities.

2. Some businesses left to Toronto because of language law issue. Montreal has still good economy but you can't compare with Toronto because it's also a bigger city. Every job pays differently as well.

3. English speakers in Quebec should learn French, or move to English Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,210,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I sat outside a Walmart store in Quebec city and counted how many fat people out of the first hundred to come out, there were. I was shocked, it was one and he was just overweight not obese. Two days previously to that I had done the same think outside a Walmart in Cleveland. 80 out of the hundred were obese and ten were fat. In Quebec the streets are full of people, walking, running, biking and playing. In Cleveland the streets are full of cars and no one is out on foot, it's really sad. Yes PQ is a beautiful province with great people, culture and geography.
Comparing Quebec City with Cleveland. Hmm. Yep, that seems like a fair comparison.

I've said this on these threads before, but I guess it's worth repeating: while there ARE lower rates of obesity in Canada, that does NOT mean that Canadians are in any position to judge. Unless there's something very wrong with my eyes - and I don't think there is - I see PLENTY of overweight, out-of-shape Canadians (lots in Niagara Falls and my hometown of Hamilton).

But, yes, there ARE far fewer in the province of Quebec, without question, and that's due to the overall lifestyle that makes Quebec such a livable place.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-09-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:20 AM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quebecs taxes are a bit excessive.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...+north+america

Corruption is also up there.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...north+america+

Quebec best place in North America to live? I could come up with a few alternatives.

Last edited by jambo101; 01-09-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 AM

21,951 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
The problem is that it is very difficult for someone to learn French or German or Mandarin or any other language later in life. The time commitment is huge considering work, family, and other personal commitments. For most English speakers, it would require an element of full immersion which would set back one's career as well, and is difficult to do when you have mouths to feed. Don't take me wrong, I wish I could learn another language at this point but I just don't have a lot of free time. I know of my sister and a couple of others who moved to Montreal when they were single to learn French and potentially live there long-term. Unfortunately, none of them where successful in this attempted transition, both socially and career wise, and ended up moving back home with not so great reviews about their experience. So I hear your point but it's just easier said than done in practice.
I totally get your point but it's not any different than someone who moves from a non-anglophone country to Toronto and has to learn English to make a new life there.

Of course, if you're already from a rich country, the impetus and payoff from learning a new language for a new life in location X isn't as great as for someone for a poor one. So most people just stay put or go back home. This is true of Montreal, Quebec and many other places of course.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
It's very liberal, affordable by Canadian standards, good education, healthy people. The only downside, and it wouldn't be a downside to me, is the very cold winters. Is there anywhere on the North American continent where you can have a better living standard than Quebec?
Is there a better living standard elsewhere in Canada? Probably not. A better quality of life? Definitely not.

I lived in Montreal during my teen years, and those were among the best years of my life. Absolutely loved it, and I remain very close to a couple of high school friends and very fond of the place. One day, if I'm able to, I'll have a second home in Montreal, even if it's just a bachelor pad. Gotta have me some Montreal.

Having said that, yes the winters are brutal. In fact, we also lived in Winnipeg very briefly before we moved to Montreal, and I found little difference between the winters in both cities. And, as much as I love the spirit of Quebec and the fact that they protect their space, culturally speaking, in the sea of English-speaking North America, Quebec is kind of neurotic, politically speaking. Depending on your own frame of mind, that can be either a deal breaker or a mildly annoying idiosyncrasy.

Plus, if you're not fluent in French, your job opportunities will be VERY limited. My own French communication skills are quite good, but not good enough to be able to enjoy open accessibility to the job market in Montreal. That is something one must consider in any assessment of Quebec.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Sure, if you like a terrible economy, high taxes with nothing to show, rampant racism, brutal winters, backwards technology, perpetual ethnic strife and political instability. I hate to rain on your parade but there is also nothing liberal about Quebec outside of the immediate vicinity of Montreal, except for the high taxes. Outside of Montreal Quebec is a big chunk of North America that is stuck back in time, with all the xenophobia and provincial mindset that comes with it.
Probably some truth to this. But I don't think it's any worse than what you'd find in similar small towns and rural areas across North America. The only difference is that they speak French.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-09-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I was out, over the road trucking for 5 years. When my wife would stock up on supplies where ever we happened to be I liked sitting outside the store watching the people. It's amazing how different the people are in different regions of the country. I took great notice that the best dressed, best looking and generally fit people were in Quebec. We were at a Walmart in Denver where no one spoke English!! How weird is that?
Very true. No question.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj;37938325

-[B
Overbearing government. [/b] I'm not exactly one of those people who likes to rail against big government but the government in Quebec is just ridiculous. They prop up failed businesses, constantly raise taxes, and stunt all possibility of desperately needed economic growth. The government regulates your language being written on a sign, what language you will go to school in, and the Quebecois majority uses the government to force their ways on the non-French minority. There may be some historical justifications for this, but in daily life I prefer not to live in this sort of environment.
This is very true, too.

Even being only a teenager and having grown up in Southern Ontario, one of the first things I observed about Quebec was the inescapable, looming presence of government is almost every aspect of daily life. That's not all a bad thing, because Quebec does have an excellent quality of life found in few other parts of NA, but it was something that was impossible not to notice.

But Quebecers are very comfortable - indeed, happy - with levels of government intervention that Americans and even Canadians in the ROC would find intolerable. It's just another way in which Quebecers are distinct and are more European in worldview than the ROC. It's not good or bad, as you say, it's just different. Quebecers are certainly content with it.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM

478 posts, read 427,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quebec isn't more corrupt, it has better investigative journalists who are very good at exposing the corruption and scams.

Corruption is easier to find and identify in a small nation of 8M people...

Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Quebec isn't more corrupt, it has better investigative journalists who are very good at exposing the corruption and scams.

Corruption is easier to find and identify in a small nation of 8M people...
Did you miss the recent Charbonneau Commisions inquiry into corruption? the place is rotten to the core.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1671959/14...ption-inquiry/

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/m...is-a-disaster/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4631123/

Last edited by jambo101; 01-09-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or