Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM

428 posts, read 450,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
More prejudices. Congratulations. You've just outed yourself as a (former) Quebec "angryphone".
I'm not the one endorsing the oppression of minorities. In a modern society everyone should be treated equally, but in Quebec only francophones de souche are treated equally. In Quebec only the pur laines can decide what is discriminatory, what is racist, what is progress, and what make sense. No wonder half of the anglophone community has fled Quebec. What would you say if you had your rights eroded and were made into a 2nd class citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I'm not the one endorsing the oppression of minorities. In a modern society everyone should be treated equally, but in Quebec only francophones de souche are treated equally. In Quebec only the pur laines can decide what is discriminatory, what is racist, what is progress, and what make sense. No wonder half of the anglophone community has fled Quebec. What would you say if you had your rights eroded and were made into a 2nd class citizen?
Don't go there.

I am francophone born and raised outside Quebec. With family roots going back for multiple generations in four "English Canadian" provinces. I've only lived in Quebec for the latter part of my adult life.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 AM

276 posts, read 330,575 times
Quebec is the most unique (due to French language / history / culture) and most/best socialized system closest to Europe in North America. I do believe that Quebec has the highest standard of living and quality of life in North America for many reasons, despite not having the strongest economy. Places with the most middle class is the best place to live.

God Bless Quebec and I truly wish I spoke fluent French and was able to live there. Everytime I visit typically once a year and come back home depressed!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
This is somewhat different than the views of certain anglophones already in Quebec (some of them native, some of them non-native but established usually prior to 1980s-90s) who sometimes live in Quebec in spite of the French fact and often bemoan (sometimes bitterly or even hyperbolically) that Quebec is not wall-to-wall bilingual to the point where they don't have to deal any of that "French crap" in their everyday lives. French is cool and all that, just as long as it's only backdrop like a fake town on Western movie set and that I can live here pretty much as I would in Brampton, Ontario or Royal Oak, Michigan.

It's the anglo-lebensraum crowd.
Good try. I love French, and would never want to see an English dominated Quebec. I speak it fluently too. It is how I communicate with members of my family.

But that isn't good enough in Quebec, you will never be a true Quebecois, I lived it and know this for a fact. Of course French should be protected in Quebec but the Anglo minority which has been present or over 200 years should also be protected. I am talking about a middle of the road position, but in Quebec there is no middle ground. It has to be all about the expansion of the French language and pur laine culture. There is nothing tolerant or progressive about this.

It's the franco-lebensraum crowd.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Don't go there.

I am francophone born and raised outside Quebec. With family roots going back for multiple generations in four "English Canadian" provinces. I've only lived in Quebec for the latter part of my adult life.
What do you mean "don't go there"? It doesn't matter if you are a francophone from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia or Ontario or Manitoba or any other province. You are a francophone and will always be part of the "desired" demographic in Quebec. It's that simple. There are desirables and undesirables, and you had the fortune of being born a desirable.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
What do you mean "don't go there"? It doesn't matter if you are a francophone from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia or Ontario or Manitoba or any other province. You are a francophone and will always be part of the "desired" demographic in Quebec. It's that simple. There are desirables and undesirables, and you had the fortune of being born a desirable.
I was talking about my experiences during the first part of my life when I lived outside Quebec.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I sat outside a Walmart store in Quebec city and counted how many fat people out of the first hundred to come out, there were. I was shocked, it was one and he was just overweight not obese. Two days previously to that I had done the same think outside a Walmart in Cleveland. 80 out of the hundred were obese and ten were fat. In Quebec the streets are full of people, walking, running, biking and playing. In Cleveland the streets are full of cars and no one is out on foot, it's really sad. Yes PQ is a beautiful province with great people, culture and geography.
You have WAY too much time on your hands if you're counting people at WalMart.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You have WAY too much time on your hands if you're counting people at WalMart.
I was out, over the road trucking for 5 years. When my wife would stock up on supplies where ever we happened to be I liked sitting outside the store watching the people. It's amazing how different the people are in different regions of the country. I took great notice that the best dressed, best looking and generally fit people were in Quebec. We were at a Walmart in Denver where no one spoke English!! How weird is that?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Heck I go to the store occasionally in East Texas or Louisiana, and I know they're speaking English, but I still can't understand a damn word they say. So I just speak "fast Canadian" back to them and it all evens out.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
It's very liberal, affordable by Canadian standards, good education, healthy people. The only downside, and it wouldn't be a downside to me, is the very cold winters. Is there anywhere on the North American continent where you can have a better living standard than Quebec?
Different places appeal to different people. That's the way of the world.

The allure of Quebec on newcomers is basically related to two factors.

The first is that Quebec offers the opportunity to live in a "new world" developed society but one that functions in French. There aren't many of these out there.

The second is that Quebec offers a pretty decent alternative to the Anglo North American mainstream. If you take the U.S. for what it is as a massive juggernaut, living the rest of Canada to a lot of people doesn't feel like enough of "another place" for some people. Quebec has more of that "other place" feel.

For some people, it's one or the other. For quite a few, it's a mix of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada