Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Montreal is very bike friendly, it has excellent bike lanes through out the city, not just downtown. Easily the best infrastructure for bikes in Canada and probably North America. I lived in the Ahunstic area, right on avenue Christophe Colomb and I would bike to my job downtown using the exclusive bike lane, never worried about traffic. I could bike all the way to saint-anne- de-bellevue on the bike paths. I would not have felt comfortable biking such long distances in Toronto or where I currently live.

Bixi is something recent. It wasn't in place when I lived there and it does seem like something for tourist. But for people that like to ride bikes and own their own bikes Montreal is a great city for that, there is no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Living in Montreal - what's it like?

Positives of Montreal

*The city rated in the Top 50 Most Livable cities and the Top 50 Eco-Cities according to the 2010 Mercer Quality of Living city ratings.
*Located 5-6 hours drive from New York City / Toronto / Boston and close to other major cities.
*Low rental and housing prices make Montreal an affordable major city.
*High public transit usage and investment in bicycle infrastructure make the city easy to navigate without a car.
*Quebec offers bursaries for immigrants wishing to take French immersion classes, and university tuition costs are lower for *Quebec residents than for people from other provinces.
*Montreal is a hub of cultural and social engagement.
*According to Statistics Canada, 94 percent of residents report being satisfied with their lives, higher than the Canadian average. More than 80 percent reported that they consider themselves to be in good health.
*The Lonely Planet travel guide includes Montreal in its “10 happiest places in the World” list, in second place.
* Montreal has second most university student population after Boston in North America.
Good post and I agree.. I laugh at individuals who just want to dismiss Q.O.L surveys - probably because the cities they are cheering for aren't on em.. Once they are suddenly that Q.O.L survey becomes credible..

People smash the economy of Montreal but I think if you can find a decent job that pays the bills and you just want to live comfortably and not like the top 10-15 percent and are happy just being average middle class Montreal would be one of the best places in the world to hang your hat.. It might be more tough to find a job but if you do (I know quite a few friends with good paying jobs there) - they aren't millionaires but they're happy and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Besides there's ALWAYS something to do....The same reasons its fun to visit makes it fun to live!! I think i'd be pretty bored in most Canamerican cities in comparison... Might be the reason people are happy there .

Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good post and I agree.. I laugh at individuals who just want to dismiss Q.O.L surveys - probably because the cities they are cheering for aren't on em.. Once they are suddenly that Q.O.L survey becomes credible..

People smash the economy of Montreal but I think if you can find a decent job that pays the bills and you just want to live comfortably and not like the top 10-15 percent and are happy just being average middle class Montreal would be one of the best places in the world to hang your hat.. It might be more tough to find a job but if you do (I know quite a few friends with good paying jobs there) - they aren't millionaires but they're happy and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Besides there's ALWAYS something to do....The same reasons its fun to visit makes it fun to live!! I think i'd be pretty bored in most Canamerican cities in comparison... Might be the reason people are happy there .
A point that is often missed in these chats is that most of us aren't one-percenters or even five or ten-percenters. Though it seems that a lot of people think they are, or at least think they will be some day!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A point that is often missed in these chats is that most of us aren't one-percenters or even five or ten-percenters. Though it seems that a lot of people think they are, or at least think they will be some day!
I said this two times in this thread and finally I got someone to back me up... All the better that it comes from one of the more balanced poster's in here... Thanks

Old 01-12-2015, 03:34 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
One-percenters seem to do well no matter where they end up, its the rest of us working schmucks that have to stress about location, so we can eek out a living.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Montreal is very bike friendly, it has excellent bike lanes through out the city, not just downtown. Easily the best infrastructure for bikes in Canada and probably North America. I lived in the Ahunstic area, right on avenue Christophe Colomb and I would bike to my job downtown using the exclusive bike lane, never worried about traffic. I could bike all the way to saint-anne- de-bellevue on the bike paths. I would not have felt comfortable biking such long distances in Toronto or where I currently live.

Bixi is something recent. It wasn't in place when I lived there and it does seem like something for tourist. But for people that like to ride bikes and own their own bikes Montreal is a great city for that, there is no doubt about it.
I admit I haven't biked in Montreal and didn't pay much attention to the biking situation, but I'm interested in how Montreal is better for biking, than say Vancouver?

Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Quality over quantity

Old 01-12-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
One-percenters seem to do well no matter where they end up, its the rest of us working schmucks that have to stress about location, so we can eek out a living.
C'mon Ed- you're being modest.. Plus you don't have to move around that much to make a decent working wage - you do so because you want to excel in your industry from a financial and career progression perspective - you have ambition.. Is that wrong - heck no but a person of your means would be fine in pretty much any major city in Canada or the U.S if the goal were to simply have a decent middle class life (Most people). You simply have more drive than 90 plus percent of the population. Even I would be modest to say that I'm just eeking out an average middle class wage and I'm not even really willing to move but yes - the super wealthy do well irregardless of where that is for sure..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-12-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 08:06 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
C'mon Ed- you're being modest.. Plus you don't have to move around that much to make a decent working wage - you do so because you want to excel in your industry from a financial and career progression perspective - you have ambition.. Is that wrong - heck no but a person of your means would be fine in pretty much any major city in Canada or the U.S if the goal were to simply have a decent middle class life (Most people). You simply have more drive than 90 plus percent of the population. Even I would be modest to say that I'm just eeking out an average middle class wage and I'm not even really willing to move but yes - the super wealthy do well irregardless of where that is for sure..
Yeah, my wife and I are definitely ten-percenters. Even moving in on five.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my wife and I are definitely ten-percenters. Even moving in on five.
I think my partner and I would be in the same boat - not sure about closing in on top 5 but definately top 10-15 percent so higher than the Median Family Income by quite a bit PLUS we don't have kids which means our disposable income goes up.. Clearly the average family in Canada or the U.S aren't as well off as some of the posters in here. I think we tend to lose sight of that a bit (yourself excluded) so when we are making comparisons we have to include everyone including their mostly average levels of career ambition and not just the C/D quasi-elites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada