U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,218,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As for all this Asian junk being made by low paid Asian workers i'm wondering if it wouldnt still be the same junk if made by highly paid American workers,as an example a flat screen tv made by Asian workers can go for $3-$4 hundred bucks, what will that tv cost if made by American workers making $30-$40 per hour with many perks and benefits..
So, are you saying that you're cool with pathetically low wages in other countries, just so long as Canadians are paid decently and can buy "inexpensive" flat screens?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-18-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
It used to. I haven't been in a Walmart in some time. Perhaps they've gone downhill like Target has.
In terms of Customer service - at least around the GTA they are no different than any other imo...

Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

We didn't even check prices on anything as there wasn't anything we wanted to buy. Even if the prices were OK, the rest of the experience is nothing like it is here in the States. I'm not surprised at all that they failed.
Yeah just no incentive at all to shop there! Target can't blame the Canadian consumer for this flub! If the price is right and competitive and in decent quantity/quality ratio people would have returned and supported the store. Aside from stock issues you have to wonder if Target actually price checked their items against competitors because more often than not most things were more expensive in Target than practically anywhere else. Its a shame because if anything there was probably a real desire to 'put' Walmart in its place so to speak and have a more competitive landscape up here. The only real competitors to Walmart are actually smaller Cdn/American retailers who are actually doing a great job doing just that! You have to go to a few stores to shop but if you're willing to do that you can save some real money.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-18-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,659,523 times
Before Target came to Canada, I found the excitement to be hilarious. I said it then - Target is a better lit, cleaner version of Zellers. The store layouts were exactly the same, and some of the store brands were identical. So that's what Canadians got, and they didn't like it. Oh well.

I liked Zellers a hell of a lot more than Wal Mart.

My hometown in Nova Scotia went from 4 department stores in the mid 90s (Peoples, Met, K-Mart and Zellers) to one today - Wal Mart. Not that any of those store were any great shakes, but it's depressing.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,704,172 times
I visited Target for the first time about a month before they came to Canada. Mount Vernon, Washington, and I was so unimpressed that I left without buying anything. It was like Zellers, but cleaner, and minus the restaurant. The new one here in Vernon, BC was better than Mount Vernon, but definitely not much of an improvement over Zellers. The biggest improvement was probably the upgraded washrooms.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,714,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I visited Target for the first time about a month before they came to Canada. Mount Vernon, Washington, and I was so unimpressed that I left without buying anything. It was like Zellers, but cleaner, and minus the restaurant. The new one here in Vernon, BC was better than Mount Vernon, but definitely not much of an improvement over Zellers. The biggest improvement was probably the upgraded washrooms.
Many a time I too left Target without buying anything but I don't think I ever came home empty handed.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 AM

7,298 posts, read 6,617,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Many a time I too left Target without buying anything but I don't think I ever came home empty handed.
That's sounds like a confession to shop-lifting.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's sounds like a confession to shop-lifting.

LOL- I read it once and than twice and thought hmmmm was he stealing somethin.... Maybe that is the real reason Target had stocking issues up here and lost so much money

Old 01-27-2015, 04:17 PM

18,344 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah just no incentive at all to shop there! Target can't blame the Canadian consumer for this flub! If the price is right and competitive and in decent quantity/quality ratio people would have returned and supported the store. Aside from stock issues you have to wonder if Target actually price checked their items against competitors because more often than not most things were more expensive in Target than practically anywhere else. Its a shame because if anything there was probably a real desire to 'put' Walmart in its place so to speak and have a more competitive landscape up here. The only real competitors to Walmart are actually smaller Cdn/American retailers who are actually doing a great job doing just that! You have to go to a few stores to shop but if you're willing to do that you can save some real money.
Another analysis that seems to agree with you:

What Target

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM

18,344 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Yet another Target miss:

Ontario pharmacists fighting Target Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada