U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM

325 posts, read 295,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Plus Quebec doesn't really have anything even close to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-pkSu9ORo0

See... I can use drama to prove my point too.
The only one using drama is you posting that video. Hobbesdj posted statistics from internationally reputable organizations showing Quebec and Mississippi being similarly poor. Unsurpringly the nationalists can't handle this and have gone to any lengths to twist the numbers. If there's one thing I ca't stand in Canada it's the unwillingness to look at yourself in the mirror with a critical eye. Believe it or not Quebec is not the utopia that Pauline Marois and now the Quebec Libs want you to believe it is. The fact is that Quebec's wealth is still riding on the economic successes of the anglo minority and the more that leave the poorer Quebec gets.

Here is the equivalent of your video in Quebec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpTDEPYgBQ

For some reason Montreal has LOTS of homeless people even with all of the supposedly generous government benefits. I think they are a lot poorer than the men in your video, at least they have a pot to **** in. Maybe it's time to be honest and take a good hard look at ourselves. Quebec has Montreal and a decent population and abundant natural resources and a bunch of other assets so why ectly are we so poor? Why is fricking Iowa alot richer? No one in Quebec will figure this out until we can stop sweeping things under the carpet ...something we have in common with all Canadians..and are willingly to look at discomforting realities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
The only one using drama is you posting that video. Hobbesdj posted statistics from internationally reputable organizations showing Quebec and Mississippi being similarly poor. Unsurpringly the nationalists can't handle this and have gone to any lengths to twist the numbers. If there's one thing I ca't stand in Canada it's the unwillingness to look at yourself in the mirror with a critical eye. Believe it or not Quebec is not the utopia that Pauline Marois and now the Quebec Libs want you to believe it is. The fact is that Quebec's wealth is still riding on the economic successes of the anglo minority and the more that leave the poorer Quebec gets.

Here is the equivalent of your video in Quebec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpTDEPYgBQ

For some reason Montreal has LOTS of homeless people even with all of the supposedly generous government benefits. I think they are a lot poorer than the men in your video, at least they have a pot to **** in. Maybe it's time to be honest and take a good hard look at ourselves. Quebec has Montreal and a decent population and abundant natural resources and a bunch of other assets so why ectly are we so poor? Why is fricking Iowa alot richer? No one in Quebec will figure this out until we can stop sweeping things under the carpet ...something we have in common with all Canadians..and are willingly to look at discomforting realities.
It's hard to accept this as a valid counter-argument as there are a) homeless people all over the U.S. just like in Montreal, including in Mississippi, but b) no places in Quebec similar to the poor Delta towns.

I can't speak for others but I readily admit that there are more affluent people in the U.S. than in Quebec (and even in Canada) and that the affluent down there are more affluent. I don't think that it is a big secret: most informed people know that the rich are richer in the U.S. and the poor are poorer.

You just seem really desperate to prove your point by keeping on hammering all the time that Quebec is dirt poor, as poor or worse than Mississippi.

It's getting a bit ridiculous as when you travel around Quebec it's relatively obvious that the average level of prosperity is roughly the same as Canada and the U.S.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
I think there is probably more poverty in the Maritimes and out here on the prairies than in Quebec. The poorest communities in Quebec and the ROC are first nations communities. I remembering reading a few years ago about a first nations community in northern Quebec finally getting electricity. I don't remember exactly when or where this was but it was not that long ago. Conditions in North Manitoba are probably even worse. Even inner city Winnipeg has some of the worst poverty I have seen in any Canadian city.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's hard to accept this as a valid counter-argument as there are a) homeless people all over the U.S. just like in Montreal, including in Mississippi, but b) no places in Quebec similar to the poor Delta towns.

I can't speak for others but I readily admit that there are more affluent people in the U.S. than in Quebec (and even in Canada) and that the affluent down there are more affluent. I don't think that it is a big secret: most informed people know that the rich are richer in the U.S. and the poor are poorer.

You just seem really desperate to prove your point by keeping on hammering all the time that Quebec is dirt poor, as poor or worse than Mississippi.

It's getting a bit ridiculous as when you travel around Quebec it's relatively obvious that the average level of prosperity is roughly the same as Canada and the U.S.
I often visit my friend who lives close to Station Pie IX and i've driven and walked all around that nabe and many others in Montreal.. I can't honestly see that Montreal is this poor/decrepit place where most of its residents are depressed and worse off than a comparable city such as Toronto - at all.. I mean when I go to Q.C am I going to the wrong Quebec - is there a Montreal that i'm missing.. The vast majority seem pretty happy and living an average middle class life to me - many are to be found eating out and enjoying wine and the like with their meals in one of many restaurants all over the cities diverse and appealing nabes... Am I in the wrong place...

I know - these surveys aren't the be all and end all of places that are great to live nor are they the final authority - but I must say having travelled to many many places - there are kernals of truth to this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...says-1.2937517

Last edited by fusion2; 02-01-2015 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I often visit my friend who lives close to Station Pie IX and i've driven and walked all around that nabe and many others in Montreal.. I can't honestly see that Montreal is this poor/decrepit place where most of its residents are depressed and worse off than a comparable city such as Toronto - at all.. I mean when I go to Q.C am I going to the wrong Quebec - is there a Montreal that i'm missing.. The vast majority seem pretty happy and living an average middle class life to me - many are to be found eating out and enjoying wine and the like with their meals in one of many restaurants all over the cities diverse and appealing nabes... Am I in the wrong place...
That's not even considered an affluent part of the city. It's more like lower middle class and even working class.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,497 times
People comparing poverty levels between Quebec and Mississippi are just being facetious. It is not a stretch to say that parts of Mississippi have 3rd world like conditions.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I know - these surveys aren't the be all and end all of places that are great to live nor are they the final authority - but I must say having travelled to many many places - there are kernals of truth to this.

Toronto, Montreal best places to live, Economist says - Toronto - CBC News
This isn't the first time we've had people use hyperbole in order to try and convince people that they changes that they personally want are absolutely essential.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:10 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
People comparing poverty levels between Quebec and Mississippi are just being facetious. It is not a stretch to say that parts of Mississippi have 3rd world like conditions.
True, It is also not a stretch to say that many of our own first nation communities live in 3rd world like conditions.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
True, It is also not a stretch to say that many of our own first nation communities live in 3rd world like conditions.
Correct. Not so much in Quebec though (for a variety of complex reasons).

Old 02-01-2015, 01:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Can you give me a specific example?

I have seen first nation communities even in isolated parts like Churchill and parts of Nunavut. It didn't look like they live in 3rd world like conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or