Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 PM

242 posts, read 242,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You guys can think Quebec in some way different from the ROC and the USA but i look out my door and see all the trappings of America.

You got me curious with this food difference,i'm a very good cook and if you got some special Quebec recipes i'd love to give em a try.thanks
Where do you live? Quebec has the most distinct culture in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Where do you live? Quebec has the most distinct culture in Canada.
If you had been paying attention you'd know exactly where i live but i guess you are too preoccupied with the grandness of your distinctness to catch such minor details as to where i live.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-15-2015 at 04:32 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM

242 posts, read 242,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you had been paying attention you'd know exactly where i live but i guess you are too preoccupied with the grandness of your distinctness to catch such minor details as to where i live.
Did you say Reptigny? I forget. I am not preoccupied with grandness only realities. Why should Québec remain a part of a country that does not represent us? The only claim to Québec is because of a war long ago that forced us into your version of Canada? I really want to know however, what makes you say that English will be exterminated from Québec? Not having English as the master language is different from exterminating. I think that as others said already English Canadians in Québec are one of the best treated minorities in the world and I would be thankful to live in Québec as one.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Did you say Reptigny? I forget. I am not preoccupied with grandness only realities. Why should Québec remain a part of a country that does not represent us? The only claim to Québec is because of a war long ago that forced us into your version of Canada? I really want to know however, what makes you say that English will be exterminated from Québec? Not having English as the master language is different from exterminating. I think that as others said already English Canadians in Québec are one of the best treated minorities in the world and I would be thankful to live in Québec as one.
I totally agree with the point that Quebec has molded itself into a francophone country within an Anglophone country and if you feel you arent being represented being a part of the Canadian collective then your options are obvious,separate and form your own country.
As for that war long ago? its fortunate your conquerors had some level of compassion and allowed the francophone victims of that war to keep their religion,their schools, their social infrastructure,their language,their land, instead of just wiping them out completely ,which segues into=
Best treated minority in the world? How magnanimous and self righteous of you to consider those lowly Quebec Anglos,Lets enact more anti Anglo linguistic laws to make them really feel welcome eh!. Personally i think the francophones of Quebec rate as the best treated minority in the world.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 PM

82 posts, read 71,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I believe that unofficial linguistic communities, Deaf, indigenous or otherwise, would stand to benefit the most from a friendly separation. It's what some linguists call "the paradoxical advantages of official monolingualism. "

For instance, for all of the excesses of the Charter of the French Language, Quebec's policy of official monolingualism ensures that a Quebec-Sign-Language-French bilingual, an Algonquin-French bilingual, a Chinese-French bilingual, and an English-French bilingual all have the same chance, all other qualifications being equal, of accessing employment in the Government of Quebec, whereas the English-French bilingual would have a clear advantage over the others in accessing employment in the Government of Canada. An Algonquin-French bilingual who knows no English could become the premiere of Quebec but never the Prime Minister of Canada: that position is reserved for the English-French bilingual. In an independent Quebec, "the paradoxical advantages of official monolingualism" would apply to all government positions.

Packaging and labeling come to mind too. In a separate Quebec, we could imagine packaging and labeling laws requiring only French, any other language being optional. This could open access to employment in Quebec's packaging and labeling industry to indigenous and other Quebecers who don't know English and allow unofficial linguistic communities to access products labeled bilingually or multilingually in French and any other language even if English is not included. It would significantly increase consumer choice and trade between Quebec and non-English-speaking countries and put English, indigenous, and other Quebecers on a more equal footing in the obligation to learn French as a common second language.

Increased trade with non-English-speaking countries might allow Quebec public schools, while still requiring a second language for graduation, to offer a sign language, the local indigenous language, or any other unofficial language as an alternative option. This in turn would reduce the threat of English in Quebec significantly which could allow Quebec to soften Bill 101, which would further benefit unofficial linguistic communities by giving them a more equal chance to access jobs as second-language teachers and in tourism and import-export sectors according to a more open and freer linguistic market. The money saved on English-French services could be redirected towards Deaf or other less advantaged linguistic communities.

Deaf, indigenous, and other unofficial linguistic communities in English Canada might stand to benefit similarly with similar laws but for English.

Separation could potentially be a win-win option for everyone involved.
I wanted to say thank you for this opinion. These are the new ideas I love to see discussed. It's time to break status quo!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM

564 posts, read 1,039,993 times
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec. They are indisputably a "distinct society" and should have their independence. They are the proverbial spoiled brat who needs to be kicked to the curb to get a dose of reality.

Also, while we're at it, Alberta should also separate, as they are definitely vibrating at a different frequency than the rest of Canada.

And the Maritimes also have their own vibe and culture, so they should join together into their own separate nation.

Now that I think about it, the entire country should break apart and each province become its own nation, with its own laws, economy, and culture. That will solve all of our problems. After all, we are all so different and obviously cannot get along and work towards common goals.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM

58 posts, read 159,490 times
Take Quebec out of Canada and you have nothing left but self hating americans.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 PM

58 posts, read 159,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec. They are indisputably a "distinct society" and should have their independence. They are the proverbial spoiled brat who needs to be kicked to the curb to get a dose of reality.

Also, while we're at it, Alberta should also separate, as they are definitely vibrating at a different frequency than the rest of Canada.

And the Maritimes also have their own vibe and culture, so they should join together into their own separate nation.

Now that I think about it, the entire country should break apart and each province become its own nation, with its own laws, economy, and culture. That will solve all of our problems. After all, we are all so different and obviously cannot get along and work towards common goals.
In the same argument, Canadians should be assimilated into the US since anglo Canadians are just america lite.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

Sounds like a plan. Where do we sign up?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Sounds like a plan. Where do we sign up?
Yes where do you sign up? I'm curious about that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada