Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't see why I am always pigeonholed and held to a higher standard on here and asked to recite an Apostle's Creed of love for Canada... and now to English Canadian culture.

But for the sake of discussion, I'll bite.

I grew up in a francophone household but mostly in anglo cities and also anglo schools so both cultures have an organic familiarity to me. For a time the anglo one was even stronger and has totally taken over now for a segment of my family to the point where that's their main cultural dwelling place and the francophone side seems more and more foreign to them and their kids especially.

As far as affection goes, well... it's a bit bittersweet as I found Anglo-Canadian culture a bit unsatisfying when I was closer to being immersed in it. Not because of anything inherently wrong about it, but because so many people who would have normally been its "practitioners" were indifferent to it and preferred (here goes...) American stuff instead.

I mean, it's fine for them to do that. It's a free country after all. But I'd have more affection and sympathy for English Canadian culture if more English Canadians themselves took an interest in it.

That's one of the reasons I kind of "opted out" of English Canada and its culture at one point.

I mean, why should I, as a French Canadian guy, adopt, take an interest in, and even get passionate about English Canadian culture, when so many English Canadians themselves aren't the slightest bit interested?
A very significant part of that "lack of interest" displayed by anglos towards "their" culture is because they have not had multiple generations of being indoctrinated that they need worry about it's demise by another culture's dominance.

Were all Canadian anglophones brought up being fed a constant diet of fear over our language and customs being negatively impacted by "those ones over there" perhaps we would show the type of angst today being mistaken for passion by francophones.

In short we're not obsessed with all things anglo because we have never needed to be. No big conspiracy, just the natural attention level required towards something that has always been taken for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Quote:
Good assessment. And demonstrates quite clearly why we are at an impasse.

Given that the status quo, while not ideal, is not intolerable either, both sides seem to be in wait-and-see mode in anticipation of a slight budge of some kind from the other side.
Yes, I was thinking about the article you sent a link to previously and that has helped with my understanding more. But this creates an obvious conundrum regarding the vision of what Canada is or should be with respect to provinces. Should it tilt more like the US with a close connection of "united" states or tilt more like the EU which is more like an administrative arrangement of separate nations. Quebec obviously tilts toward the latter, at least if it wants to achieve it's aims. Yes, I agree it is currently in a stalemate position because I think both sides have more to lose than to gain at the moment by moving any agenda forward. The question is when will this change. I've theorized in the past that this situation can change once Quebec improves it economic position, then it's reliance on being part of the Canadian union dwindle and it's bargaining chip increases to get more distinct nation rights. Additionally, it may also be in Ottawa's best interest to keep Quebec stagnant and weak if you think about it. The provincial strategy right now might be pushing forward a more extreme-Quebec cultural agenda to build strength in the meantime for a push again in the future.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A very significant part of that "lack of interest" displayed by anglos towards "their" culture is because they have not had multiple generations of being indoctrinated that they need worry about it's demise by another culture's dominance.

Were all Canadian anglophones brought up being fed a constant diet of fear over our language and customs being negatively impacted by "those ones over there" perhaps we would show the type of angst today being mistaken for passion by francophones.

In short we're not obsessed with all things anglo because we have never needed to be. No big conspiracy, just the natural attention level required towards something that has always been taken for granted.
Ah yes. Americans like American culture, Russians like Russian culture, Japanese like Japanese culture, because they've all been indoctrinated to like it and/or fear for its continued existence.

I get it.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:09 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Ah yes. Americans like American culture, Russians like Russian culture, Japanese like Japanese culture, because they've all been indoctrinated to like it and/or fear for its continued existence.

I get it.
Do you?

Do those cultures express their "liking" their culture by enacting draconian laws to protect just one aspect of it?
Are they constantly expressing their disdain for any other culture present within their country?
Have they assigned a villain role to another culture purely based upon a perception real or imagined, their culture being negatively affected by it?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Do you?

Do those cultures express their "liking" their culture by enacting draconian laws to protect just one aspect of it?
Are they constantly expressing their disdain for any other culture present within their country?
Have they assigned a villain role to another culture purely based upon a perception real or imagined, their culture being negatively affected by it?
OK. So thaaaaaaaat's what this is all about.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM

261 posts, read 275,774 times
I'm not quite sure why some posters here seem to desperately want Quebecers to show appreciation or love for Canada and Canadian identity. Actually, do they really want that, or are they just ranting? Because it's really weird to me, it's as if they were desperate for recognition.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I'm not quite sure why some posters here seem to desperately want Quebecers to show appreciation or love for Canada and Canadian identity. Actually, do they really want that, or are they just ranting? Because it's really weird to me, it's as if they were desperate for recognition.
I am pretty unique among francophones in that I take an interest in English Canadian culture and its ''situation''.

That said, it's odd that some seem to feel that francophones should be more interested in anglophone Canadian culture when interest from anglophones themselves is kinda scattered.

Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the latter. The level of interest they have is the level of interest they have.

But the arguments that ''English Canadian culture is every bit as relevant in the everyday lives of English Canadians as French Canadian culture is relevant in the everyday lives of French Canadians" are pretty demonstrably false.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
I see no big cultural divide between mainstream CDN and US

Some would agree, from _ Adams (Bryan) to Young (Neil)

Doesnt bother me one bit

The CDN $ behavior these days...now thats a headache

Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:

Eh... sort of true. I'm an Anglo from Quebec, we have that angst there. It definitely led to a stronger identification with the culture for sure, but it didn't mean we stopped consuming American media or watched way more Can cinema and read way more Can lit then other Anglos.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:20 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
I'm in favour of a "true confederation", sort of Swiss-style.
Acajack, this is a noble idea, but it will NEVER happen. I don't understand why there are Quebecois who don't understand this. We are one province out of 10. That's 1/10 who would want to completely overhaul the entire Canadian system. What about the other 9? They don't want to do what you want. This is what Anglos talk about when they say Quebec "blackmails" them. They are fine with Canada how it is, but Quebecois either want to entirely overhaul the system, or else go for independence. Independence is the only logical course because the other 9/10 provinces will NEVER want to go through a radical reform of all the know, just to satisfy Quebec.

If you want to operate like an independent country, then get independence.

If you want to be 1/10 provinces, then stay with Canada.

Those are the options. That's it. That's all. There is no middle way where you can be your own country but still be part of Canada. It's a nice cozy idea but it's entirely out of touch with reality and will NEVER happen because the other 9/10 provinces have no wish to do this whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada