U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
This makes me sad to hear. What will make you stay in Québec?
Bit too much water under the bridge at this point but an acceptance of Quebecs Anglo culture as an equally relevant part of the Quebec mosaic might have gone a long way to avert the Anglo exodus from Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Actually as I said it seems quite likely to me that "mon doux" is actually a minced oath, that is, a variant of an offensive expression (in this case "mon Dieu") that's intended to remove the offensive character. It's like English speakers saying "drat" or "darn" instead of "damn".

However it seems "mon doux" is an expression on its way out, I certainly don't hear young people say that. I can suggest some reasons for this: first, "mon Dieu" isn't at all offensive today, so there is no need to mince it, and second, "mon doux" seems to me like it would have been a particularly "feminine" swear word, used mostly by women. But women today don't really use these words anymore, they've adopted the formerly "masculine" swears as they gained greater equality to men.
I had missed that bit. I agree ''mon roux'' is slowly dying out.

But people in Quebec don't say it because they incapable (or too lazy to) of saying ''mon dieu'' correctly.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's your opinion I guess. I lived for 25 years in eastern Canada (outside Quebec) and when we spoke French to a stranger who did not speak the language the reaction of the majority of them wasn't usually "charmed".

I can be in Ottawa in 10 minutes if I want and if I walk around and speak French to everyone I bump into most of the time I won't be getting a "charmed" reaction I can assure you.

People aren't super odious or hostile it's true, but "charmed" and even "very polite" and "eager to test their high school French" aren't the dominant reception we get.
I would say that you are getting the same treatment tossed back at you that Anglos encounter in Quebec.

What ever happened to freedom of speech in ALL of Canada? Why should Quebec have its own "special language" laws? People are angry about this and how can you feel like being charming and polite when things are not even and fair?

I strongly oppose double standards for anything in life. (LAWS INCLUDED) One for all and all for one.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 PM

359 posts, read 264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I would say that you are getting the same treatment tossed back at you that Anglos encounter in Quebec.

What ever happened to freedom of speech in ALL of Canada? Why should Quebec have its own "special language" laws? People are angry about this and how can you feel like being charming and polite when things are not even and fair?

I strongly oppose double standards for anything in life. (LAWS INCLUDED) One for all and all for one.
"Freedom of speech" is an American value, not a Canadian one. It has no special place in Canada. More important are the values of order and good government. The Canadian federal government supports Quebec's actions and they comply with Canadian values. If there is a small but vocal minority who takes issue with this, they are free to leave at any time.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

That's not even close to being true.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I had missed that bit. I agree ''mon roux'' is slowly dying out.

But people in Quebec don't say it because they incapable (or too lazy to) of saying ''mon dieu'' correctly.
Should read "mon doux" instead of "mon roux"...

Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,031,763 times
Quote:
Should read "mon doux" instead of "mon roux"...
Ha! I had wondered about that.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Ha! I had wondered about that.
Nice. This confirms people pay attention to what I write!

Yeah, "mon roux" would roughly translate to "my redheaded boy/man".

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM

325 posts, read 295,034 times
Quote:
That's not even close to being true.
Sure, but come on Acajack. Quebec isnt exactly utopia for English speakers. Quebec undoubtedly favours pur laine Quebecois over other groups. Its not Hitler's Germany but lets not sweep the pushing out of hundreds of thousands of anglo Canadians under the rug.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 AM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Nice. This confirms people pay attention to what I write!

Yeah, "mon roux" would roughly translate to "my redheaded boy/man".
Isnt roux something used in cooking?

Quote:
rouxro͞o/
noun
noun: roux; plural noun: roux
  1. a mixture of fat (especially butter) and flour used in making sauces.
    Origin
from French (beurre) roux ‘browned (butter).’

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or