Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
"Freedom of speech" is an American value, not a Canadian one. It has no special place in Canada. More important are the values of order and good government. The Canadian federal government supports Quebec's actions and they comply with Canadian values. If there is a small but vocal minority who takes issue with this, they are free to leave at any time.
When did freedom of speech become an American value? In this day and age, it is a fundamental universal value in all functioning democracies. It is also very much a Canadian value, enshrined very clearly in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

Quote:
Fundamental freedoms:
Section 2: which lists what the Charter calls "fundamental freedoms" namely freedom of conscience, freedom of religion, freedom of thought, freedom of belief, freedom of expression, freedom of the press and of other media of communication, freedom of peaceful assembly, and freedom of association. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I find it interesting that English speakers get mistreated in Quebec solely for the choice of language that they use. In many ways, that IS a direct assault on one's right to free speech. I grew up in Germany, and even there, people do not detest English or other foreign languages spoken in public with the level of disdain expressed by certain posters here. Most Germans are very polite when spoken to in English or other foreign languages, and they would not treat you any differently. If you can speak to them in German, that's great but people very rarely discriminate against those who cannot speak fluent German.

I've also lived in China, where 90% of the population is homogeneous Han Chinese and can only speak variations of Mandarin. However, most Chinese go out of the way to help English or other foreign language speakers. And if you can just speak a few simple words in Chinese, even a few simple broken words, it will go a long way towards building trust and respect with locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:39 AM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
When did freedom of speech become an American value? In this day and age, it is a fundamental universal value in all functioning democracies. It is also very much a Canadian value, enshrined very clearly in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

I find it interesting that English speakers get mistreated in Quebec solely for the choice of language that they use. In many ways, that IS a direct assault on one's right to free speech. I grew up in Germany, and even there, people do not detest English or other foreign languages spoken in public with the level of disdain expressed by certain posters here. Most Germans are very polite when spoken to in English or other foreign languages, and they would not treat you any differently. If you can speak to them in German, that's great but people very rarely discriminate against those who cannot speak fluent German.

I've also lived in China, where 90% of the population is homogeneous Han Chinese and can only speak variations of Mandarin. However, most Chinese go out of the way to help English or other foreign language speakers. And if you can just speak a few simple words in Chinese, even a few simple broken words, it will go a long way towards building trust and respect with locals.
English speakers by and large aren't mistreated in Québec. Are Anglophones who can't speak French disadvantaged? Of course they are, just like a monolingual Francophone would be disadvantaged in Alberta for the same reasons. But Anglophones in Québec have access to hospitals, universities and public services in English at a level that Francophones in the rest of Canada could only dream of. It's far easier being an Anglo in Montreal than it is being a Franco in Toronto or Calgary.

Secondly, the examples you gave are of countries that don't have any real relationship to English. For a long time, English was the dominant language in Quebec even though it wasn't the language of the majority, and Francophones were at a huge disadvantage as a result. German was never threatened by English in Germany, and Chinese was never threatened by English in China so obviously the relationship isn't the same. I doubt Germans would be okay with someone living in Germany their entire lives not speaking any German, as happens to be the case with many Anglophones living in Quebec.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
But Anglophones in Québec have access to hospitals, universities and public services in English at a level that Francophones in the rest of Canada could only dream of. It's far easier being an Anglo in Montreal than it is being a Franco in Toronto or Calgary.

Or in Ottawa even!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post

Secondly, the examples you gave are of countries that don't have any real relationship to English. For a long time, English was the dominant language in Quebec even though it wasn't the language of the majority, and Francophones were at a huge disadvantage as a result. German was never threatened by English in Germany, and Chinese was never threatened by English in China so obviously the relationship isn't the same. I doubt Germans would be okay with someone living in Germany their entire lives not speaking any German, as happens to be the case with many Anglophones living in Quebec.
Yeah. It wasn't a good example.

A better example would be Russian in Latvia, Estonia or even Ukraine.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I think it is possible, looking at the historical trends which shows that Ottawa is becoming more French friendly..
I would not say that.

French-friendliness in Ottawa reached its apogée in the late 80s and early 90s and has begun a slow decline ever since.

Neither demographics nor the political climate in Ottawa favour a greater presence of French in that city for the future.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I find it interesting that English speakers get mistreated in Quebec solely for the choice of language that they use. In many ways, that IS a direct assault on one's right to free speech. .
The opposite side of the coin is that everyone they run into having to switch languages just for them. In a place where they are not the majority of the population.

Are you suggesting that people who can't speak English but live in Quebec are mistreating anglophones there simply by not being able to respond in English immediately when spoken to?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
There is some push for this to happen but it will require another mayor, maybe a francophone to happen. .
I highly doubt this would happen even with a Franco-Ontarian mayor. Politics is the art of the possible and just look at anglos in Quebec like Thomas Mulcair who did not (in Quebec City) and does not (in Ottawa) push for most English in the province of Quebec. Michael Applebaum also did not push for more English in Montreal during his short time as mayor and probably would not have either if he had been the mayor over the long term.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The full francization of Ottawa.
Isn't Ottawa under the jurisdiction of the province of Ontario and the national capital of Canada? So you want Quebec to eat up a city that represents the national interests of every Canadian? Pray, tell us, how exactly will this Canada a better country?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM

542 posts, read 503,084 times
Quote:
Isn't Ottawa under the jurisdiction of the province of Ontario and the national capital of Canada? So you want Quebec to eat up a city that represents the national interests of every Canadian? Pray, tell us, how exactly will this Canada a better country?
Whether such an endeavour would create a better Canada is not our concern. Let them eat cake. Our concern is creating a better Quebec. Canada is little more than a tool that has made itself available for our disposal. As long as keeping Canada is in Quebec's best interest, then we will support a united Canada.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Whether such an endeavour would create a better Canada is not our concern. Let them eat cake. Our concern is creating a better Quebec. Canada is little more than a tool that has made itself available for our disposal. As long as keeping Canada is in Quebec's best interest, then we will support a united Canada.
It's really quite sad to read this, especially given that many Canadians including myself actually do genuinely want to build better cohesion and integration between the two cultures. It's even more saddening that some people would call Canada a "tool", like some ****ing prostitute that can be bought and used and thrown away at your pleasure after you've pumped all the juice and sucked it dry. Tell us, is that how the game works? In that case, why are you still here? Why don't you just pack up and leave? I mean seriously, no one, NO ONE, is begging you to stay. There's a big wide world out there and France right across the pond.

I just can't fathom how certain Canadians can exhibit such myopic and selfish attitudes. And yes, as of now, you are still a citizen of Canada.

Let me tell you one harsh reality PBeauchamp: if you resided in any other nation on earth other than Canada and said the above words, you'd have been deported or in prison for treason by now. Fortunately for you, we have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to protect you.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 03-03-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada