U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 AM

34,487 posts, read 41,610,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Don't be daft, jambo101. There is no language police in Quebec, and where are the French language hospitals in British Columbia? The French universities? Can be served in French in Vancouver without creating a scene? Chinese immigrants are treated better than French Canadians. There is no need to play this game.
No Language police? You might want to study up on OQLF.These are the people who enforce that all aspects of bill101 are being complied with,language being a major part of their enforcement role,While language police may be a creative title its what they do.
Of course there are no French hospitals and universities in Vancouver but thats not because the English are denying them,there just arent sufficient francophones to warrant such institutions.If you want french business and institutions in the ROC build em and call them any French name you like
Also being served in French does not create a scene if you can actually find some one who speaks French they will be more than happy to converse in French,
So again how is the Francophone being mistreated outside Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most francophone community leaders outside Quebec would gladly accept a Bill 101 "protecting" (sic) English in their provinces in exchange for everything else the anglos in Quebec have that allows them to live in their language.

BTW, in the 1980s or 1990s there was a motion from the grassroots of the PQ to propose a "reciprocity agreement" to the other provinces in order to harmonize the institutions and services of the Quebec anglo minority with those of the francophone minorities outside Quebec.

It was panned by the Quebec Liberals of course and vetoed by the PQ party brass including Jacques Parizeau himself, who said something like: "there's no way we'd treat our anglo community like that! we can't ever do that to them!"
Such implied grand treatment of Anglophones in Quebec makes one wonder why so many have left, why so many place names have been changed from English to French,and why so many Anglo institutions/schools and businesses have closed, why a once vibrant co culture in Quebec has been reduced to a mere 8% of the population with no power and no representation and no future.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM

21,968 posts, read 27,436,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Such implied grand treatment of Anglophones in Quebec makes one wonder why so many have left, why so many place names have been changed from English to French,and why so many Anglo institutions/schools and businesses have closed, why a once vibrant co culture in Quebec has been reduced to a mere 8% of the population with no power and no representation and no future.
It could also be that a largish segment of that particular demographic is simply not happy living in a place where it cannot dominate. (If not demographically, then at least socio-economically.)

I mean, think of white flight in many places in the U.S. It happens and happened for a reason, right?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It could also be that a largish segment of that particular demographic is simply not happy living in a place where it cannot dominate. (If not demographically, then at least socio-economically.)

I mean, think of white flight in many places in the U.S. It happens and happened for a reason, right?
Love your logic AJ..But i'm not seeing a downside to the economic domination the Anglo brought to Quebec,much industry and jobs were a result,a good thing in my opinion.
I think they all left not because they couldnt dominate any more (not that i ever thought they did) but because of Quebecs new found need to dominate on a linguistic and cultural level,and the threat of separation and the implied new future under bill101.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Love your logic AJ..But i'm not seeing a downside to the economic domination the Anglo brought to Quebec,much industry and jobs were a result,a good thing in my opinion.
I think they all left not because they couldnt dominate any more (not that i ever thought they did) but because of Quebecs new found need to dominate on a linguistic and cultural level,and the threat of separation and the implied new future under bill101.
It's only in the details that it differs.

Anglo flight out of Quebec.

White flight out of U.S. neighbourhoods, cities and even some states with "too many" (sic) blacks or latinos.

White flight to Australia out of South Africa immediately after the collapse of apartheid.

Some people do move out of places when they feel "control" of it is slipping out of their fingers.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Good example! "I'm from Ottawa, and even though I am looking to buy in Quebec (official language: French) and they told me up front the docs were gonna be in French, I mean... WTF's up with this French 5hit, man?"

Adami: Man left with French building inspection report he can’t read | Ottawa Citizen

The other guy who had problems with the highway toll bill is also priceless!

I mean, he didn't understand it, right?

It likely says something like this:

AUTOROUTE 25- DIRECTION SUD

27 NOV 2014

ID VÉHICULE : ASBH 456 (ONT)

7,08 $

Super hard to understand!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 PM

695 posts, read 739,191 times
Quote:
Anglos left Quebec for the same reason they left Rhodesia, Jamaica, etc...because they were vex they were no longer running the show.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:22 AM

All the friends and family i talk to who have left Quebec since the late 70s cite Separatists and the very real threat of separation from Canada as the main reason for their departure,combined with the draconian rules and regulations enshrined in Quebecs Charter of values (bill101)is what was mostly responsible for the Anglo exodus out of Quebec., It soon became very apparent that Quebec was to be for Francophones no one else need apply. and while this odd logic that Anglophones left because they could no longer dominate may play well to the francophone victim mentality demographic in reality its not the case and is much more to do with financial and cultural stability.
However to take your logic a step further Lex what were the Anglophones dominating and how did this domination manifest itself?, when did this supposed domination take place and why did it all of a sudden stop?

Last edited by jambo101; 04-08-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Quote:
All the friends and family i talk to who have left Quebec since the late 70s cite Separatists and the very real threat of separation from Canada as the main reason for their departure,combined with the draconian rules and regulations enshrined in Quebecs Charter of values (bill101)is what was mostly responsible for the Anglo exodus out of Quebec - and while this odd logic that Anglophones left because they could no longer dominate may play well to the francophone victim mentality demographic in reality its not the case and is much more to do with financial and cultural stability.

However to take your logic a step further Lex what were the Anglophones dominating and how did this domination manifest itself?, when did this supposed domination take place and why did it all of a sudden stop?
This seems far more logical an explanation to me than some of the other sentiments i'm reading about less domination and running the show.. I found that sentiment disturbing and divisive.. For all the claims of Francophone bashing, I think we can't dismiss that this can and is a two way street going the other way against Anglophones.. Either way it is unfortunate.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This seems far more logical an explanation to me than some of the other sentiments i'm reading about less domination and running the show.. I found that sentiment disturbing and divisive.. For all the claims of Francophone bashing, I think we can't dismiss that this can and is a two way street going the other way against Anglophones.. Either way it is unfortunate.
I'd say you could only draw this conclusion if Quebec's anglophone community had been deprived of its established institutional network post-1976, something which quite clearly did not happen.

The real change wasn't at all suppression of those institutions, but rather a progressive reduction in the ability for anglophones to compel non-anglophones in Quebec (and Montreal in particular) to use English in all situations where they were even remotely involved.

They can couch it in any terms they want, but it was still for many people a matter of "loss of control" that a large segment of the community could not accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or