U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times

Advertisements

Just to show how there is a double-standard on this issue.

Guys like the Tim Hortons customer are routinely portrayed as victims and even heroes by many people, but someone like Michel Thibodeau gets roundly portrayed as an a55hole and his name gets dragged through the mud all across the country (and especially in the Ottawa area where he lives), for complaining about something that is actually legally guaranteed in Canada. (Which is not the case for Tim Hortons service in Laval or buying a métro ticket in Montreal.)

Air Canada's 'biggest mistake' - Macleans.ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM

34,419 posts, read 41,527,053 times
AJ you make it sound as if Quebec francophones are so hard done by they are on par with the American slaves or the near genocide purpetrated on the American Indian,Here in North America French is a very small minority in the grand scheme of things and while the objective in Quebec seems to be French only some provision other than rude obnoxious attitudes has to be given to those who dont speak French.
The link to Mr 7up is a case in point,a guy who thrives on making law suits when people cant speak French when he demands it. You think this guy has any equivalence to our guy ordering a dozen donuts at Timmies? A guy i might add merely asked for 12 donuts in English,he made no demands and was never given the chance to respond in French.
Mr 7up is fully bilingual and demanded the flight attendant serve him in French and goes out of his way to be contrary and obnoxious to any one who doesnt bow to his demands.
AJ this M Thibodeau its you isnt it?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
AJ you make it sound as if Quebec francophones are so hard done by they are on par with the American slaves or the near genocide purpetrated on the American Indian,Here in North America French is a very small minority in the grand scheme of things and while the objective in Quebec seems to be French only some provision other than rude obnoxious attitudes has to be given to those who dont speak French.
The link to Mr 7up is a case in point,a guy who thrives on making law suits when people cant speak French when he demands it. You think this guy has any equivalence to our guy ordering a dozen donuts at Timmies? A guy i might add merely asked for 12 donuts in English,he made no demands and was never given the chance to respond in French.
Mr 7up is fully bilingual and demanded the flight attendant serve him in French and goes out of his way to be contrary and obnoxious to any one who doesnt bow to his demands.
AJ this M Thibodeau its you isnt it?
You seem to have trouble distinguishing between what is covered by the law and what isn't.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM

170 posts, read 137,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just to show how there is a double-standard on this issue.

Guys like the Tim Hortons customer are routinely portrayed as victims and even heroes by many people, but someone like Michel Thibodeau gets roundly portrayed as an a55hole and his name gets dragged through the mud all across the country (and especially in the Ottawa area where he lives), for complaining about something that is actually legally guaranteed in Canada. (Which is not the case for Tim Hortons service in Laval or buying a métro ticket in Montreal.)

Air Canada's 'biggest mistake' - Macleans.ca
What double standard? If this guy was an anglophone in Quebec he would be laughed out of court for demanding the English language be upheld. He wouldn't get the time of day. Better men than him have tried to do this and they are dismissed as trying to spread (in your words) "anglo-lebensraum" and anglo domination. No, I don't see the double standard. The double standard is that this tiny little minority has all these rights in Ontario but anglophones in Quebec are guaranteed nothing and in the wrong if they don't play ball.

The saddest part is that even when Air Canada hires only bilingual staff another airline that is English only will become Canada new #1 air service because it will be more efficient in it's service. You can't use the government to control a business, it doesn't work because the business stops looking to make profits and instead is looking to follow a ridiculous regulation that only bothers a tiny minority of militant francophones. The last thing we need is the Canadian federal government emulating Quebec's language police on a grand scale. The simplest solution is that Mr. Thibodeau can move to Quebec and live his whole life in French to his full pleasure and unhappy anglophones can leave Quebec to live in Ontario where they can speak French to their hearts content. Simple solution.

One of these days francophones will need to step up for themselves in a real way, and I don't mean by demanding more from anglos or the government but by securing the nation that their ancestors have dreamed about for generations, the one that was taken over in 1763 and somehow survived to this day. Men like Mr. Thibodeau are a walking stereotype of just how low the French Canadians have fallen. It's embarrassing just to watch it go down. My apologies if this hits close to home but it is the truth that can only be swept under the carpet for so long.

It's time for Quebec to go.

Last edited by MattCassidy; 04-08-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 PM

34,419 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
You seem to have trouble distinguishing between what is covered by the law and what isn't.
And Quebec is about the only place in the world i've ever been where speaking French is mandated by law.Do you actually think if Quebec took all its silly language laws away there would be no more French? .. a legislated language whose existence relies entirely on language laws to remain alive, kinda pathetic dont ya think AJ?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
What double standard? If this guy was an anglophone in Quebec he would be laughed out of court for demanding the English language be upheld. He wouldn't get the time of day. Better men than him have tried to do this and they are dismissed as trying to spread (in your words) "anglo-lebensraum" and anglo domination. No, I don't see the double standard. The double standard is that this tiny little minority has all these rights in Ontario but anglophones in Quebec are guaranteed nothing and in the wrong if they don't play ball.

Hmm, no. You've got it all wrong. Mr. Thibodeau's complaint was related to the Official Languages Act of Canada. If someone complained about no English on an Air Canada flight between Montreal and Mont-Joli it would get the exact same consideration.

How can you not know this?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
. The simplest solution is that Mr. Thibodeau can move to Quebec and live his whole life in French to his full pleasure and unhappy anglophones can leave Quebec to live in Ontario where they can speak French to their hearts content. Simple solution.

Hmm, the flight he was complaining about was a flight from Montreal to Ottawa so it actually originated in Quebec. I am reasonable person. I wouldn't be so sympathetic to the complaint if he was flying from Fort McMurray to St. John's. Do you really think it's acceptable that Air Canada in the 21st century staffs flights originating in Quebec with flights attendants who can't speak French?

The real question is does Canada have principles when it comes to the linguistic duality that it boasts about all the time, or not?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:

It's time for Quebec to go.
Thank you for your view, which you constantly share on here.

Other have differing views.

Personally, I don't think the future of one of the world's most successful countries should be decided based on the fact that people like you are tired of the debate.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The saddest part is that even when Air Canada hires only bilingual staff another airline that is English only will become Canada new #1 air service because it will be more efficient in it's service. You can't use the government to control a business, it doesn't work because the business stops looking to make profits and instead is looking to follow a ridiculous regulation that only bothers a tiny minority of militant francophones. .
I really don't see the link between having bilingual or even multilingual staff and non-profitability. Sounds pretty bogus. Our friend fusion works in an airport and I am sure he can attest (as I have as someone who has flown all over the world) that most airlines have a ton of multilingual staff.

If Air Canada doesn't have a bilingual flight attendant on a Montreal-Ottawa flight, it's not a question of impracticality or of profitability, it's a question of bad faith. Simple as that.

If Air Canada can have German-speaking flight attendants on all of its flights to Frankfurt (I've been there, done that many times), then they sure as hell can have French speakers on every single flight originating in Montreal.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
I really don't see the link between having bilingual or even multilingual staff and non-profitability. Sounds pretty bogus. Our friend fusion works in an airport and I am sure he can attest (as I have as someone who has flown all over the world) that most airlines have a ton of multilingual staff.

If Air Canada doesn't have a bilingual flight attendant on a Montreal-Ottawa flight, it's not a question of impracticality or of profitability, it's a question of bad faith. Simple as that.

If Air Canada can have German-speaking flight attendants on all of its flights to Frankfurt (I've been there, done that many times), then they sure as hell can have French speakers on every single flight originating in Montreal.
Yeah i'm not really seeing the link here between profitability and multilingualism.. It just makes sense if you are flying on an AC flight from Toronto to Tokyo that you have some English/Japanese speaking F/A's (there are tons of Japanese tourists on those flights).. Same if you fly on an AC flight from Toronto to South America - you put a few Eglish/Spanish speaking F/A's on the routes for same reason.. It just makes good business sense.

This is why I do see practicality in the R.O.C to take more of an interest in French language skills.. We do have a sizable portion of the country that speaks the language and if not for stronger cultural ties, at the very least for stronger business and economic ties.

My partner actually is interested in becoming an F/A.. Instead of complaining about learning French - he's taking French classes to make himself a more marketable candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or