Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

In red above - may I ask why such an interest?
I alluded to it a few months ago. When I started to follow politics it jumped out at me that Canada had everything going for it but was still stuck with this separatism problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 04:54 PM

This gives you an idea of what I am talking about:

http://jflisee.org/wp-content/upload...crop-leger.png

Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I alluded to it a few months ago. When I started to follow politics it jumped out at me that Canada had everything going for it but was still stuck with this separatism problem.
Oh yeah, I should also add that growing up in my family and the communities we were in, Quebec separatists were almost viewed like revolutionary Iran viewed the U.S. Almost like a Great Satan.

As a young adult I happened to bump into some pretty hardcore Quebec separatists but who were also very smart, worldly, sophisticated, etc. And pretty cool as well. Nothing like the hayseeds or raving nationalists/racists I had always thought them to be.

So that also spurred me to want to find out more about the issue.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You make some very good points.

Another point is that Jews never had a problem learning (and even adopting) German in Germany, Polish in Poland, Spanish in Argentina and even French in France. Anne Frank was born in Germany and her parents' main language was German but she moved to Amsterdam as a child and her famous diary is written in Dutch.

There are reasons why the Ashkenazi Jewish community in Montreal adopted English as its main language. We are all aware of them. But the switch to French is not necessarily an impossible or ignominous one when one looks at the historical ability of the Jewish people to adapt to their surroundings wherever they settle. Some of them in Montreal have now adapted and learned French very well. Though they have not entirely abandoned English either, and of course Quebec still provides a lot of stuff in their preferred English language like hospitals, health care, schools, colleges and universities.

Presumably, it's not so bad but I can't judge or decide for them and obviously after 100+ years in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America it seems that many of them have taken on certain attitudes vis-à-vis language and politics in Quebec and in Canada that are *acquired* as opposed to be inherent to the Jewish people.
To follow up on this, was just reminded during channel surfing that Quebec's Judge Judy is Ashkenazi Anne-France Goldwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEPDYvm_CU

And the head of Ceasars Entertainment in the US, Mitch Garber, is also an Ashkenazi Montrealer. Here he is on a talk show talking about his new role on the Quebec version of Shark Tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTek8HFEvU

Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM

171 posts, read 273,824 times
Quote:
This gives you an idea of what I am talking about:

http://jflisee.org/wp-content/upload...crop-leger.png
Any information on age groups for that? Interesting stats

Dare I throw into the mix the new trend of Montreal wanting to be recognised distinct from Quebec...goes to show the differing views out there.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
Any information on age groups for that? Interesting stats
I don't know where to find the age breakdown but most everyone agrees that at the moment younger people are less into sovereignty than at any time since the 1960s.

Most sovereignty supporters in the middle in the 40-65 age group I'd say, with both ends being less into sovereignty. The older ones are more federalist, whereas the younger ones are mostly ambivalent - not super into Canada in a passionately patriotic way but not for independence either.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post

Dare I throw into the mix the new trend of Montreal wanting to be recognised distinct from Quebec...goes to show the differing views out there.
I wouldn't read too much into that - at least not more than just political leveraging.

Montreal (or at least part of it) is still ground zero for much of the separatist-nationalist movement.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quebec too harsh on English speakers? evidently this includes talking dolls. Ya just cant make this lunacy up.Language police in hot pursuit

Toys 'R' Us in Quebec refuses to sell English-only Daniel Tiger doll - Montreal - CBC News

Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quebec too harsh on English speakers? evidently this includes talking dolls. Ya just cant make this lunacy up.Language police in hot pursuit

Toys 'R' Us in Quebec refuses to sell English-only Daniel Tiger doll - Montreal - CBC News
I was waiting for you on this one as soon as I heard the news. It's like clockwork!

Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM

156 posts, read 200,357 times
Quote:
I was waiting for you on this one as soon as I heard the news. It's like clockwork!
That's the little voice in the back of your head telling you that something is wrong with it. I know that beneath the vnationalist visage you don't really believe this kind of thing is sensible. Like when the language police starts targeting children's ice cream spoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYyFjsQLF4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada