Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:05 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,248,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why don't you write something out as it is spoken in "Quebec French" then? (I am not looking to analyse spelling or grammar BTW.)
Maybe like "mon dieu" pronounced "mon doux"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM

261 posts, read 273,866 times
I think that's just what we call a "minced oath".

Old 02-13-2015, 12:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Francophones were are never subjected to an English equivalent of Bill101 and all that comes with it.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Oh, how dramatic. English isn't being legislated out of existence. French is being secured. There is still much work to be done in Montreal. Look at the anglo mansions in Baie d'Urfé. Look at McGill. Look at our bilingualism. Does that look like the state of a minority under siege? If anglos choose to leave Quebec that is their choice. They are treated better than francophones are outside of Quebec. They have nine provinces to choose from. Quebec encourages diversity and tolerance, but not anglo domination.
How dramatic? you seem to have emerged from your young upbringing with quite the hate on for the ROC and its majority Anglo population and they havent even actively done anything to you.
Oh yeah and you forgot to mention the fat English lady who worked at Eatons.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:52 PM

542 posts, read 498,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Francophones were are never subjected to an English equivalent of Bill101 and all that comes with it.
Quebec is not required to justify it's actions. We act reasonably, and within our bounds.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
How dramatic? you seem to have emerged from your young upbringing with quite the hate on for the ROC and its majority Anglo population and they havent even actively done anything to you.
Oh yeah and you forgot to mention the fat English lady who worked at Eatons.
Jambo 101, I harbour no hatred for the ROC or anglos. We are willing partners who work together. Quebec has much to thank the anglos for, and they continue to serve Quebec in a variety of ways. As time moves on we will expand this mutual relationship, and there is no doubt that the ROC will offer new and innovative ways to work to Quebec's advantage.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Quebec is not required to justify it's actions. We act reasonably, and within our bounds.
As a Canadian province Quebec is required to justify its actions,particularly in matters concerning Canadas Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
As for acting reasonably? You suppose the exodus of Anglos their money their jobs and their children are happening merely because they want a change of scenery?
Also if you think After Quebec separation Canada is going to bend over backwards to placate Quebecs needs i feel you are in for a big disappointment.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:14 PM

261 posts, read 273,866 times
The current version of the Charter of the French language has passed the test of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, having been ruled constitutional by the Supreme Court of Canada.

In many Canadian provinces, education in French has at times been made illegal, which is certainly way more severe than anything we may call "an English equivalent of Bill 101". This is no longer the case, but Canadian francophones still often need to defend their language rights in front of the courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada. (Speaking of which, the English unilingual status of Alberta and Saskatchewan is currently, by which I mean today, being debated in front of the Supreme Court.)

Old 02-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
As a Canadian province Quebec is required to justify its actions,particularly in matters concerning Canadas Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The Canadian federal government endorses Quebec's rights.
Quote:
As for acting reasonably? You suppose the exodus of Anglos their money their jobs and their children are happening merely because they want a change of scenery?
Also if you think After Quebec separation Canada is going to bend over backwards to placate Quebecs needs i feel you are in for a big disappointment.
I have no wish for Quebec to seperate. I am a strong federalist and work actively with the PLQ. Seperation is a terrible idea, unless the Canadian federal government dramatically reverses it's behaviour. The current direction Canada is heading is opening many new doors for Quebec, and it behooves the logical thinker to continue this partnership. Canada still has much more to offer Quebec.

The anglos who choose to leave are none of my concern. They have complete freedom to come and go. They enjoy equality and tolerance in Quebec. Our partners in he Canadian federal government has voiced nothing but support for Quebec.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

183 posts, read 216,942 times
Quote:
The Canadian federal government endorses Quebec's rights.

The anglos who choose to leave are none of my concern. They have complete freedom to come and go. They enjoy equality and tolerance in Quebec. Our partners in he Canadian federal government has voiced nothing but support for Quebec.
These are humans we are talking about. In your opinion when has enough been done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada