U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Stay out, obviously, except for the current Canadian subsidies and, if "independent" UN subsidies.
As long as Q.C is in Canada i'm fine with Equalization payments.. That is an entitlement that other CAD provinces are getting as well.. 8 billion dollars a year in a 1.8 trillion dollar economy is largely pennies here... There's other things to worry about like creating a more innovative Canadian economy than worrying about peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In a previous life I used to do that. Many others are still doing it.

It leads to nothing. Preaching in the desert. Scooping up the ocean with a spoon.

It's fine. I'm at peace with the situation as it is.

But the doublespeak and double standards I can't stand. And never will.
I wasn't trying to doublespeak - I was trying to be a gentleman.. Apparently in some cultures that isn't important..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM

325 posts, read 295,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I wasn't trying to doublespeak - I was trying to be a gentleman.. Apparently in some cultures that isn't important..
I have to hand it to you fusion2. In the span of 2 or 3 days you went from the biggest proponent of "multiculturalism weeeee" to the biggest Quebec-hater here (after jbgusa).

Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I have to hand it to you fusion2. In the span of 2 or 3 days you went from the biggest proponent of "multiculturalism weeeee" to the biggest Quebec-hater here (after jbgusa).
I am a proponent of multiculturalism weeee still read my posts lol... Very much so the GTA is MULTICULTRULISM WEEE to the max man. I have stated that the mandatory bilingualism in schools and cross cultural exchanges with other nations in Canada that give those the finger that want to bridge that is fools game. Everyone including Quebecers have been telling me that so i've accepted it and even those in various nations outside Q.C as well.. What's wrong now? I'm fine with not bridging a cultural gap with those who don't want to... I'm not stupid lol... I tried it and with that group it was a BIG fail.. no big deal - time to move along.

I still love Quebec culturally and its society and as long as it wants to remain in Canada it is always most welcome in my books.. I'm just not going to say hi in French though, because its offensive to the culture lol..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,694 times
I rank this question up with what I will do when I discover my ability to fly....

Never gonna happen.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
French is a tough sell in Canada

Besides the fact that french is about as useful as tuba lessons , TUBA not SCUBA , the latter is way above french lol

French, especially the north-american variety is also viewed as somewhat low-class by some ( hey who? ..me ?) notwithstanding the way some american dandy like to sprinkle their speech with it although IMO it only makes them sound ghey.
That isn't true, French is the second or third most important language in the world after English and Spanish, official language of the EU, official language of many countries in Europe, Africa and of course Canada. French can give you a lot of opportunities. Those from strictly anglophone parts of Canada end up having more opportunities if they learn French than those who don't learn French. It serves a lot of purposes and it is useful.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM

8,240 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Leave behind the ignorant Anglos who don't know how to spell "separation".

Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
That isn't true, French is the second or third most important language in the world after English and Spanish, official language of the EU, official language of many countries in Europe, Africa and of course Canada. French can give you a lot of opportunities. Those from strictly anglophone parts of Canada end up having more opportunities if they learn French than those who don't learn French. It serves a lot of purposes and it is useful.
I agree French is useful but Francophones in Canada are offended by the idea of English Canadians learning it nor are they proponents of it being taught in our high schools.. To them seemingly the whole notion is absurb and those of us who propose bilingualism and cross cultural exchanges are loony tunes sooooo..

Old 02-15-2015, 03:49 PM

15,870 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
I agree French is useful but Francophones in Canada are offended by the idea of English Canadians learning it nor are they proponents of it being taught in our high schools.. To them seemingly the whole notion is absurb and those of us who propose bilingualism and cross cultural exchanges are loony tunes sooooo..
Some of the French don't want harmony or separation; they want the government jobs, to themselves.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 PM

261 posts, read 202,909 times
Quote:
Dear Lord, man. Nobody ever said that teaching French in Canadian high schools is absurd. It's actually a great idea. But requiring high fluency in French as a necessary condition for every Canadian high school student to graduate is absurd. "Cross-cultural exchanges", whatever that means, are also probably a great idea. But it's also not something you can mandate.

Also, English Canadians speaking French is not at all insulting, it's great. And if an anglophone wants to speak French with me, it'll be a pleasure for me to do it. Service people in English Canada saying "Hello! Bonjour!" despite not being able to actually offer meaningful service in French? That's annoying, but I guess I can live with it; I'm not expecting service in French from them anyway. Their greeting me with "Hello! Bonjour!" being offered as an example of how open to French English Canada is, or else of how Canada is bending over backwards to accommodate Quebec's petty demands? Now that's offensive.

Seriously man, is it so hard to read and understand posts on this forum? How much do we need to spell it for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or