U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 05:33 AM

34,524 posts, read 41,678,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It goes both ways. Some people also tend to view Quebecers as brave defenders of their culture that are the real Canadians, and Anglo-Canadians as oppressors and no more than frozen Yanks.

I've never met any one with this attitude outside Quebec,
In my travels across Canada it seems no one cares about Quebec anymore and my travels in the USA usually culminates in a whats a Quebec when asked where i live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:44 AM

21,991 posts, read 27,481,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've never met any one with this attitude outside Quebec,
In my travels across Canada it seems no one cares about Quebec anymore and my travels in the USA usually culminates in a whats a Quebec when asked where i live.
I (and the others I assume) generally meant overseas.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Yeah, for the most part people outside Canada aren't hostile to me as a Quebecer. In fact, when I tell them I'm from Canada, they usually ask whether I'm from the "French part" or "English part", to which I explain that I'm from Quebec which is largely French-speaking, etc. My experience is mostly with people whose native language is neither French nor English.
I get the EXACT SAME question all the time.

When it comes to the whole "Quebec is French-speaking" thing, the reactions are rarely very negative, though some have a bit of surprise to them. At most, people see Quebec as quirky and eccentric, if also a bit anachronistic.

"You mean, you guys live where you live (thinks of a map of North America) and yet pretty much everything in everyday life takes place in French? Really? No waaay!"

Also common is:

"Cheers to you guys for sticking up for your identity!"

But... "Why don't you guys just speak English like everyone else?" is not something you typically hear. I've heard that exactly once from an outdoorsy type who ran a safari in the Australian outback.

Of course, some people are obviously being polite. They may think like this Aussie guy deep down but once they learn you're from "the French part" they'll keep it to themselves.

People will adjust the views they share according to their interlocutors. I am sure Anglo-Canadians hear some doozies about Quebec and French-speaking Canadians in general out there on the hustings.

Just as we hear a lot of things about Anglo-Canadians when people learn we are francophones from Quebec: exactly like Americans, bland and boring Americans, staid, reserved, passive aggressive, smug, cabezas cuadradas, etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 AM

261 posts, read 204,002 times
Quote:
cabezas cuadradas
Ha! Did you really hear somebody call anglophone Canadians that?

Something that I get once in a while, is that once I tell them that I'm from "the French part", they wonder if my native languages are French and English. And I tell them that no, French is my only native language, English I learned at school and later by living in proximity to English speakers. I guess a part of this comes from the fact that I am very fluent in English, to the extent that non-native speakers may not be able to tell that I'm also non-native.

Many people are interested in hearing a bit about how language dynamics work in a bilingual country such as Canada.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,272,674 times
Quote:
I get the EXACT SAME question all the time.

When it comes to the whole "Quebec is French-speaking" thing, the reactions are rarely very negative, though some have a bit of surprise to them. At most, people see Quebec as quirky and eccentric, if also a bit anachronistic.

"You mean, you guys live where you live (thinks of a map of North America) and yet pretty much everything in everyday life takes place in French? Really? No waaay!"

Also common is:

"Cheers to you guys for sticking up for your identity!"

But... "Why don't you guys just speak English like everyone else?" is not something you typically hear. I've heard that exactly once from an outdoorsy type who ran a safari in the Australian outback.

Of course, some people are obviously being polite. They may think like this Aussie guy deep down but once they learn you're from "the French part" they'll keep it to themselves.

People will adjust the views they share according to their interlocutors. I am sure Anglo-Canadians hear some doozies about Quebec and French-speaking Canadians in general out there on the hustings.

Just as we hear a lot of things about Anglo-Canadians when people learn we are francophones from Quebec: exactly like Americans, bland and boring Americans, staid, reserved, passive aggressive, smug, cabezas cuadradas, etc.
Or you are an American in Quebec, and every other English Canadian you come across can't wait to tell you how bad Quebec is, how racist the Quebecois are, how backwards they are, and tell you their plans to get out of the province, all within 5 minutes of meeting them. It's probably not something they say to their francophone neighbors.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Or you are an American in Quebec, and every other English Canadian you come across can't wait to tell you how bad Quebec is, how racist the Quebecois are, how backwards they are, and tell you their plans to get out of the province, all within 5 minutes of meeting them. It's probably not something they say to their francophone neighbors.
It's odd what people can say when they think they've run into someone who they expect to automatically be a "brother in arms".

On a somewhat related noted, in my youth I once tried to hit on a girl from Chicoutimi in a bar in Quebec City by saying some Québécois nationalistic stuff to her. As it turns out she was a hardcore Canadian federalist who was learning intensive English and couldn't wait to move to Toronto!

Life is full of surprises, what can I say...

Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 AM

325 posts, read 296,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Or you are a bilingual Canadian and they still do all of the above. Then minutes later a francophone starts talking to you about the English problem in Quebec.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Ha! Did you really hear somebody call anglophone Canadians that?

Something that I get once in a while, is that once I tell them that I'm from "the French part", they wonder if my native languages are French and English. And I tell them that no, French is my only native language, English I learned at school and later by living in proximity to English speakers. I guess a part of this comes from the fact that I am very fluent in English, to the extent that non-native speakers may not be able to tell that I'm also non-native.

Many people are interested in hearing a bit about how language dynamics work in a bilingual country such as Canada.
Yes, many are confused and understandably so.

Some think French in Quebec is like Irish Gaelic in Ireland, or that Québécois are like Mexican Americans in their culture.

They don't get how all-encompassing it generally is.

The best comparisons I found are Belgium and Switzerland. Europeans at least can usually get that.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 AM

325 posts, read 296,335 times
Quote:
Yes, many are confused and understandably so.

Some think French in Quebec is like Irish Gaelic in Ireland, or that Québécois are like Mexican Americans in their culture.

They don't get how all-encompassing it generally is.

The best comparisons I found are Belgium and Switzerland. Europeans at least can usually get that.
It is like Irish Gaelic and Mexican Americans. Until Quebec grows up, moves out of the parent's basement and becomes independent it will always be in this category. If you want people to look at you like a real nation, then act like one. Dont fault others for not seeing Quebec as anything other than a linguistic minority when this is what you reduce yourselves to.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
It is like Irish Gaelic and Mexican Americans. Until Quebec grows up, moves out of the parent's basement and becomes independent it will always be in this category. If you want people to look at you like a real nation, then act like one. Dont fault others for not seeing Quebec as anything other than a linguistic minority when this is what you reduce yourselves to.
Naah, it's more like Switzerland and Belgium. Really. And you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or