U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
No bad opinion at all. At least not from me and people I know. And I've started to take French lessons
I agree.. The most anti Quebecois sentiment I find are either in media or online forums such as this posted by anonymous individuals.. Personally I find this whole Quebec vs R.O.C nonsense a bit tiring and so yesterday. Most people I know are actually quite complimentary of Quebec and in particular in Toronto with respect to a sort of admiration for Montreal and its appeals.. Good luck with the French - I'm still grappling with Spanish but i'm sort of getting into the langauges thing so French will be my next conquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Canada
170 posts, read 137,386 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree.. The most anti Quebecois sentiment I find are either in media or online forums such as this posted by anonymous individuals.. Personally I find this whole Quebec vs R.O.C nonsense a bit tiring and so yesterday. Most people I know are actually quite complimentary of Quebec and in particular in Toronto with respect to a sort of admiration for Montreal and its appeals.. Good luck with the French - I'm still grappling with Spanish but i'm sort of getting into the langauges thing so French will be my next conquest.
If you run with a left-wing crowd they are much more likely to be overtly pro-Quebec in Canada. Others are a bit more ambivalent. It is reciprocated in Quebec where most people just don't care all that much about Ontario or Nova Scotia. It might as well be Massachusetts to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Nation du Québec
237 posts, read 185,957 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree.. The most anti Quebecois sentiment I find are either in media or online forums such as this posted by anonymous individuals.. Personally I find this whole Quebec vs R.O.C nonsense a bit tiring and so yesterday. Most people I know are actually quite complimentary of Quebec and in particular in Toronto with respect to a sort of admiration for Montreal and its appeals.. Good luck with the French - I'm still grappling with Spanish but i'm sort of getting into the langauges thing so French will be my next conquest.
Most anti-Québec sentiment is fueled by the unpracticality of Canada. It is like forcing England and France together, but then hoping they will think each other like one people just because someone said they will have the same flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Denmark
74 posts, read 57,722 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Most anti-Québec sentiment is fueled by the unpracticality of Canada. It is like forcing England and France together, but then hoping they will think each other like one people just because someone said they will have the same flag.
In Czechoslovakia the Czechs and Slovaks endured a similar situation. After the split, the two groups are more amicable than they ever were before. Interestingly enough it was the dominant Czechs who engineered the split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Saint-Aimé-des-Lacs, Québec
163 posts, read 154,430 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
In Czechoslovakia the Czechs and Slovaks endured a similar situation. After the split, the two groups are more amicable than they ever were before. Interestingly enough it was the dominant Czechs who engineered the split.
Right, and this is another perfect example of why we need to separate. It is not like Quebec and Canada will become mortal enemies.

At least for me, it is time to put it to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Canada
325 posts, read 295,430 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree.. The most anti Quebecois sentiment I find are either in media or online forums such as this posted by anonymous individuals.. Personally I find this whole Quebec vs R.O.C nonsense a bit tiring and so yesterday. Most people I know are actually quite complimentary of Quebec and in particular in Toronto with respect to a sort of admiration for Montreal and its appeals.. Good luck with the French - I'm still grappling with Spanish but i'm sort of getting into the langauges thing so French will be my next conquest.
Are you kidding me? Plenty of people in the ROC hate Quebec. Take it from a guy who moved from Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Are you kidding me? Plenty of people in the ROC hate Quebec. Take it from a guy who moved from Quebec.
I'm basing my opinion on peeps in T.O.. We don't really discuss the R.O.C including Quebec much but when we do normally Montreal is spoken of in complimentary terms.. No doubt there are haters though - it seems to be part of our national pastime and I really do think Canadians as a whole need to examine what is at the root of why they have this tendency.. I do think we should think about the real realities of a fractured nation though and what that would entail.. When/if that does happen i'd almost like to talk to the haters and ask them if their life is better or worse of if they had regrets... Would be an interesting conversation.. We'll see..

Last edited by fusion2; 03-08-2015 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
If you run with a left-wing crowd they are much more likely to be overtly pro-Quebec in Canada. Others are a bit more ambivalent. It is reciprocated in Quebec where most people just don't care all that much about Ontario or Nova Scotia. It might as well be Massachusetts to them.
In Toronto - is there any other crowd but left!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Most anti-Québec sentiment is fueled by the unpracticality of Canada. It is like forcing England and France together, but then hoping they will think each other like one people just because someone said they will have the same flag.
England and France are nothing like Canada... Stop living in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Right, and this is another perfect example of why we need to separate. It is not like Quebec and Canada will become mortal enemies.

At least for me, it is time to put it to rest.
You just need to convince another few million people... You have some work to do no sense trying to convince me - i'm not your biggest barrier - they are far closer to home for you...BTW are you the one sending me rep point remarks calling me a colonial oppressor lol?? Or is it Bonjour?? Anyway keep em coming I love rep points.. Talk to me in French too - its hot when you speak french to me and rep me at the same time and call me master - Je l'adore

Last edited by fusion2; 03-08-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top