Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What would Roch Voisine do If Quebec Separated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7xqaBLjwQ
Roch is billed as a New Brunswick Acadian much of the time but he's kind of both. He spent his teenage years in Quebec and during his career he's been based in Montreal and-or Paris. His professional and personal life, as well as all of his contacts we can assume, are in the Montreal-Paris entertainment sphere. He'd most certainly stay put.

Not to mention the fact that Quebec independence is seen by many as a potential boon for the local francophone entertainment industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Well that would be a problem Quebec and the natives would have to work out than.
No matter what happens the results wouldn't be pretty for both Quebec and the rest of Canada so I would prefer if Canada didn't split up.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
No matter what happens the results wouldn't be pretty for both Quebec and the rest of Canada so I would prefer if Canada didn't split up.
I'm not promoting Canada falling apart. All I'm stating is if Quebec actually does separate Canada isn't going to be able to just take what it wants and leave a sliver of land left around Montreal as Quebec.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
I'm not promoting Canada falling apart. All I'm stating is if Quebec actually does separate Canada isn't going to be able to just take what it wants and leave a sliver of land left around Montreal as Quebec.
The ''tiny sliver of land'' scarecrow is the Canadian political equivalent to the husband shaking his fist at his wife who is threatening to leave him...

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
I will happy that Canada will operate far better without the tiptoeing around the usual extortion. I would possibly move back to Quebec if sovereignty makes it a more tolerant society and the government focuses more on economics instead of purity. Somewhere around Montreal would be nice and I'd be closer to family again. The way Quebec is now with the petty deadlock I don't want to be there. The deadlock is destroying Quebec and Canada together.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The ''tiny sliver of land'' scarecrow is the Canadian political equivalent to the husband shaking his fist at his wife who is threatening to leave him...
Pretty much.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The integrity of Québec's territory has never been a particular subject of debate, either here or in the rest of Canada. Until recently, it was accepted that if Quebecers were to democratically decide their accession to sovereignty, Québec would keep its present territory and would be recognized within its existing borders.

This assumption was buttressed by the cases of dozens of countries that have come into existence since the creation of the United Nations in 1945.
Now, suddenly, a strange debate has erupted over carving up or dividing the territory of a sovereign Québec. Québec's borders would no longer be based on geography but rather on ethnic or linguistic considerations. This is what the “partitionists” are proposing. What first appeared a ludicrous idea, a sort of utopia of the desperate, has spread like wildfire, fed by misinformation and exaggeration.

Yet the partitionists' claims have no basis in law or historical precedent. The idea that parts of Québec's territory could remain under the administration of the federal government or another province after Québec achieves sovereignty is contradicted both by international law and by recent history.

We must resume a more level-headed discussion. Citizens of good will may sometimes allow themselves to be swept along unconsidered directions, inevitably without any possible positive outcome. There are excesses in which responsible men and women should not indulge and which they must not encourage. The debate on Québec's future must be conducted on the basis of reason, truth and fact.

To be sure, one may defend or oppose sovereignty with passion and conviction, but it is vital that we continue to uphold the democratic values we all cherish. Whatever the result of the next referendum may be, Quebecers will continue to maintain civilized and cordial relations with each other and with their Canadian neighbours.

In response to the partitionists' arguments, the government of Québec must set the record straight and explain, on the basis of objective, internationally-recognized information, why it would be impossible to carve up Québec's territory.

As we shall see, the argument that if Canada is divisible so is Québec is without legal basis. Québec is a State with a distinct people, political institutions and a precise territory; it existed well before the creation of the Canadian federation, of which it is a member. Québec represents one of the two peoples who created this federation, the founding principles of which have, regrettably, been modified without Québec's agreement and despite Québec's formal opposition.

- Jacques Brassard (Minister for Canadian Intergovernmental Affairs), 1997
I think there are concerns about the Atlantic provinces being completely severed from the R.O.C.. As far as what the legal framework post QC or any Provincial vote for sep would look like - we really don't know. I think every national case is unique so I'm not so certain this is assured. Actually, if we are speaking about legalities, i'm not even sure Q.C can separate from Canada even if a majority within that Province do want to separate. It looks like a majority of Catalonians want to separate from Spain in Catalonia though the Spanish goverment will not recognize it. I'm not saying this is right - but Spain is a first world country, a part of the U.N, E.U and Nato for example.

This isn't to say I think that the people of Quebec's desires should be dismissed or the desires of any people's in Canada should be dismissed either, and i'm certainly not a legal expert but if QC got 50 +1 in favour of separation, would this be enough within the existing legal framework of the nation for an automatic Quebec is now a new nation outcome..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-24-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
It will never happen. The sovereignists are declining as a % of the population. The demographics are changing in such a way that will forever put the threat of Quebec separation to rest.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 PM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It will never happen. The sovereignists are declining as a % of the population. The demographics are changing in such a way that will forever put the threat of Quebec separation to rest.
No they arent. They are the same percentage as they have always been. Somewhere around 40%. There is nothing in demographics suggesting an end to sovereignists since Quebec assimilates almost all of the immigrants who stay into Quebecois society and not Canadian society. How many times will someone claim separatism is over, when it just keeps coming back? I don't get it. It's like looking up at the sky, and someone is claiming that the clouds will never come back..they always do because it's part of the nature of sky..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 PM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Quebec independence movement has been thought dead and buried more times than the Terminator and has always sprung back to life when least expected, just like him in fact.
I like the pragmatism of your posts. Why do you think people always claim the independence movement is over, only for it to come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada