U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Reputation: 1256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
It isn't about money for us. We can always rebuild our economy.


Sure...let see what the majority of your "compatriots" think about this....we need to suffer before we will be better off...I'm sure it will fly.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Saint-Aimé-des-Lacs, Québec
163 posts, read 154,430 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sure...let see what the majority of your "compatriots" think about this....we need to suffer before we will be better off...I'm sure it will fly.....
Up to half of Québec is willing to risk economic problems to achieve our independence. I am as tired of bilingualism, language police, and the "demands" as you are. That is why I am a separatist. I voted to stay in Canada in 1995, but then nothing changed and everyone is still unsatisfied. I want to put it to rest and everything but independence has been tried and failed. It will never go away until this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Up to half of Québec is willing to risk economic problems to achieve our independence. I am as tired of bilingualism, language police, and the "demands" as you are. That is why I am a separatist. I voted to stay in Canada in 1995, but then nothing changed and everyone is still unsatisfied. I want to put it to rest and everything but independence has been tried and failed. It will never go away until this day.

So let's see, if and when, a referendum will be called what would be the result...I suspect not good for your cause...

I would remove the language police,, a separate immigration policy and all the other special treatment tomorrow....referendum or not referendum....it is ridiculous and unfair to the rest of the provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 05:48 AM
 
34,411 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29889
I got a lot of respect for some one like ViveLeQuebecLibre, he's a proud francophone who has the foresight to see the futility of Quebec remaining within the confines of the Canadian collective in this day and age and can see the benefits of where the francophone culture could rise to on its own terms/merits as a sovereign nation in charge of its own destiny and standing as an equal to Canada on the global stage.
Must be frustrating Vive to feel the potential of the cultural freedom that is there for the taking and yet to see that small voting majority of your francophone culture content with the idea of remaining perpetually just another Canadian minority in a Canadian Province living the cultural equivalent of living permanently in Moms basement.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-23-2015 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,956 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So let's see, if and when, a referendum will be called what would be the result...I suspect not good for your cause...

I would remove the language police,, a separate immigration policy and all the other special treatment tomorrow....referendum or not referendum....it is ridiculous and unfair to the rest of the provinces.
Assuming all of this you allege is actually true and in place *just for Quebec*, how exactly is it unfair to other provinces anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
98 posts, read 103,017 times
Reputation: 99
It's been interesting examing the rhetoric used in these threads. (At least the last few pages, I'm not going to read all of this). It definitely contrasts pretty strongly with conversations I've had about this issue in person.

I spent two years living in Whitehorse which has a sizable (as a percentage of the population) and rapidly growing francophone minority, and this topic was a popular one at parties. Obviously Quebeckers who've chosen to live outside Quebec are going to have pretty complicated views about Quebec independence, and they did.

Personally I find that younger people like myself, be they anglophones, francophones or otherwise tend to have more cosmopolitan views in general. The difference between how my Father and I think about Quebec, for example, is pretty striking. I see young Quebeckers engaging with the rest of Canada more as well, running away west to find work, or just hang around in BC enjoying the mellow life...no different than Ontarians doing the same thing.

Personally it doesn't bother me either way if Quebec becomes it's own country or not, that's more of an administrative thing. Unless they discover a way to detach from Ontario and float away they'll still always be right next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 AM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
and standing as an equal to Canada on the global stage.
Quebec would definitely not stand as an equal to Canada on the global stage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 AM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Assuming all of this you allege is actually true and in place *just for Quebec*, how exactly is it unfair to other provinces anyway?

Let's say that the mandarin speaking residents of BC reach majority status within that province...I do not see them trying to impose trilingualism to the rest of the country, having their own dedicated immigration policy for mandarin speakers or having the mandarin language police roaming the streets of Vancouver....

Cajun French is in revival mode in Louisiana without imposing any stupid restrictions and obligation....you can preserve your own culture with your own people especially if the younger generations find it relevant.

The white population (especially the younger generations) in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas are embracing Spanish culture and language, signs written first in Spanish and then in English are sprouting naturally without the need of impositions and regulations....some jokingly says that Mexico is reconquering "las provincias perdida", the lost provinces (the majority of the southwest US territory did belong to Mexico before the war of 1836).

In south Florida is the same.

No drama, no nonsense.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-23-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM
 
34,411 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Reputation: 29889
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Quebec would definitely not stand as an equal to Canada on the global stage....
Equal meaning two sovereign nations in charge of their own destiny, at the moment Quebec is just a Canadian province where Canada's francophone minority are the major demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Equal meaning two sovereign nations in charge of their own destiny, at the moment Quebec is just a Canadian province where Canada's francophone minority are the major demographic.
Ohh ok...as long as they do it being really independent and especially without Canada credit card it's perfectly fine for me...let them go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top