U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM

579 posts, read 469,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Well that would be a problem Quebec and the natives would have to work out than.
The Quebec government has a better track record with First Nations issues than the Feds... in fact, one of the better track records Canada-wide.

Quote:
As for Mandarin, well it has never developed a fully functioning society on North American soil at any point in history and its speakers (past and present) do not come here with the goal of building such a society.
BC will end up becoming one such society... although not by design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:12 PM

21,956 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post

BC will end up becoming one such society... although not by design.

That's virtually impossible. Not even close to 100% of second-generation Chinese-Canadians in BC even speak Mandarin and almost none of the non-Chinese population there speaks it.

Only a small proportion of BC born kids of Chinese parents can actually read and write Chinese characters.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's virtually impossible. Not even close to 100% of second-generation Chinese-Canadians in BC even speak Mandarin and almost none of the non-Chinese population there speaks it.

Only a small proportion of BC born kids of Chinese parents can actually read and write Chinese characters.
I'm trying to find stats but having no luck. What stats are you basing this on?

I haven't a clue about today, but I can tell you when I was growing up every single kid of Chinese decent went to Chinese Language school after our regular school.
The friends I have today who are of Chinese background, but born here, all speak Chinese. Many had to.
They were the translators for their parents.

I would assume it is much the same today, since having Mandarin and or Cantonese as a 2nd language is more important in the 21st century than it was in the 20th.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I haven't a clue about today, but I can tell you when I was growing up every single kid of Chinese decent went to Chinese Language school after our regular school.
The friends I have today who are of Chinese background, but born here, all speak Chinese. Many had to.

I would assume it is much the same today, since having Mandarin and or Cantonese as a 2nd language is more important in the 21st century than it was in the 20th.
It's not a big secret that minority languages tend to decline intergenerationally in the absence of official status:

Recent evolution of immigrant-language transmission in Canada

Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 PM

579 posts, read 469,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Quote:
It's not a big secret that minority languages tend to decline intergenerationally in the absence of official status:

Recent evolution of immigrant-language transmission in Canada
And so, will Chinese-Canadians in BC push for Chinese having official status in BC?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 AM

34,415 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
And so, will Chinese-Canadians in BC push for Chinese having official status in BC?

I say go for it and perhaps an ensuing Bill一百零一with language police and everything

Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Why would they when their kids and grandkids (and even they themselves in many cases) have a good chance of having limited functionality in it?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM

18,302 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Why would they when their kids and grandkids (and even they themselves in many cases) have a good chance of having limited functionality in it?
By choice.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
By choice.
Indeed (in many cases anyway), but getting back to the point, it still takes a large part of the impetus for demanding official language status away, doesn't it?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,792,353 times
Throw a party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or