Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres bilingual signs across the country,
theres the opportunity to be served in French in government institutions across the country,
Bilingual labeling across the country and one can receive any government document in French across the country.and still it remains Quebec is French the rest of Canada is English
I'd surmise the vast majority of people outside Quebec just dont want or feel the need to speak French.
Mandating people to speak French wont work and would serve no purpose.
This idea that French is offered as a service language (passive with signs or with people) in a widespread way makes me think of the tooth fairy or Santa Claus.

Here is a little story that's very up to date.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been skating on the Rideau Canal with my kids in Ottawa, Canada's capital. On all three occasions no one in the concessions (Beaver Tails and such) could speak French to us. This in spite of the fact that it's written into their contracts with the federal National Capital Commission that they have to provide bilingual service. And in spite of the fact that close to half of the people skating on the canal tend to be francophones.

You don't have to go to Toronto or even Calgary to find that, outside Quebec, Canada often doesn't walk the bilingual walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

You don't have to go to Toronto or even Calgary to find that, outside Quebec, Canada often doesn't walk the bilingual walk.
Actually I must say at Toronto Pearson airport where I work, public facing employees working in a multitude of companies and agencies must have bilingual representation - From Air Canada to Catsa to CBSA and many in between.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually I must say at Toronto Pearson airport where I work, public facing employees working in a multitude of companies and agencies must have bilingual representation - From Air Canada to Catsa to CBSA and many in between.
That's very similar to the obligation that exists for the Rideau Canal, and we know had that seems to turn out.

Having the obligation and following through on it are two different things.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
CBSA, CATSA and Air Canada are not even seamlessly bilingual at YOW. Not even close in the case of AC and CATSA. CBSA is not too bad.

Though all three pretty much are 99% of the time at YUL.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
CBSA, CATSA and Air Canada are not even seamlessly bilingual at YOW. Not even close in the case of AC and CATSA. CBSA is not too bad.

Though all three pretty much are 99% of the time at YUL.
Well depends on what you mean by seamless - but go through Pearson and if you don't find an Air Canada, CBSA or Catsa agent who speaks French in the general vicinity of where you are being processed than pvt msg me...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
That's very similar to the obligation that exists for the Rideau Canal, and we know had that seems to turn out.

Having the obligation and following through on it are two different things.
I can't speak for the Rideau Canal and will defer to your experience, but I can speak with a bit more experience and credentials regarding Pearson for sure..

Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for the Rideau Canal and will defer to your experience, but I can speak with a bit more experience and credentials regarding Pearson for sure..
And I won't claim to know more about Pearson than you do BTW, but it's hard to believe bilingualism requirements are quite closely adhered to there when even a place where it should be a no-brainer like Ottawa is so obviously imperfect. (I was at YOW last week BTW.)

Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
And I won't claim to know more about Pearson than you do BTW, but it's hard to believe bilingualism requirements are quite closely adhered to there when even a place where it should be a no-brainer like Ottawa is so obviously imperfect. (I was at YOW last week BTW.)
I can't speak for Ottawa but as I said, If you have issues through processing at Pearson finding an official from the big 3 I spoke of i'd be happy to hear the details.. That's not lip service btw and remember, Pearson is the primary gateway airport to the country - Ottawa is not..

Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I also believe the anglophone provinces would benefit from mandatory bilingualism. This measure would weaken the seperatist movement. This is something we all want. I agree that seperation is not the only answer. We have been patient with the federal government, and this has led to new opportunities for Quebec that would be unavailable if we were independent. I believe there is a bright future for Quebec working with Canada.
Forcing people to learn a language they dont need or dont want is sheer folly and will never work.
While bilingualism outside Quebec is rather iffy its because outside Quebec hardly any one speaks French so its a forced gesture by the government to placate Quebec, take away the governments Bilingual requirements and you'd have no French at all in most of Canada..
As for Quebec independence ?I'm all for it..

Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 AM

261 posts, read 275,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Still, many provinces will provide services in French "where numbers warrant," though I have yet to figure out how many numbers warrant, or the quality of the French spoken (i.e., we may be back to "I took French all through high school").
I guess that's often left up to the court system to rule on. If, say, francophone parents aren't offered a French school but they feel their numbers would warrant it, they need to sue their provincial government and the courts decide if it is indeed warranted.

Quote:
But I'll be greeted with bilingual signage at the entrance to a national park in Alberta, and often a friendly "Hello! Bonjour!" from the gate guard.
Last time I landed at Toronto Pearson Airport, the employees guiding us towards the customs were in fact repeating "Hello! Bonjour!". And to be honest I don't like it. I'm fairly sure that if I had tried to speak with one of them, they wouldn't have been able to say any other word in French. (Though yeah, maybe there was a French-speaking employee on duty, but we cannot be sure of this.) It feels hypocritical somehow; it's just "show" bilingualism. And I know it contributes to this belief among anglophones that "Quebec is French only, while all the rest of Canada must be bilingual."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada