Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post

I agree with you. But I am actually bilingual and follow through on this. Why aren't you, since this is what you believe? Seems hypocritical.
Again you are getting all ad hominem here... Lets face it, Quebec is in an English dominated continent - the system itself is going to ensure more Quebecers speak English than the opposite.. This is why i've advocated formally changing the system in Canada.... Is there anything further on this?

Any more jabs to get in there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Again you are getting all ad hominem here... Lets face it, Quebec is in an English dominated continent - the system itself is going to ensure more Quebecers speak English than the opposite.. This is why i've advocated formally changing the system in Canada.... Is there anything further on this?

Any more jabs to get in there??
Let me make sure I understand you clearly..

You believe an independent Quebec would protect the French language better than Quebec as part of Canada?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't agree that just because one doesn't speak a language that it should relegate their opinion to the G file.. Actually, there are many who speak English and don't understand the many parts of English Canada so one thing alone isn't automatically a get out of jail free card to understanding the other parts.. That sentiment is extraordinarily simplistic... Irregardless - whether I speak French or not does't change the fact that Quebec is as much responsible for what this country is warts and flawless skin parts and all or that I absolutely advocate formal bilingual training for all Canadians in their school years until fully fluent in both....
You don't haev to agree. But if you can't even read Quebecois news or understand what the Quebecois are saying, then sorry, you don't get it and never will. Nothing you say can change this. English media news sources on Quebec are inherently biased and show an unbelievably one sided political view of Quebec.

Even Acajack will agree with me on this one.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand you clearly..

You believe an independent Quebec would protect the French language better than Quebec as part of Canada?
You're putting words in my mouth.. What i said was that in formal years of schooling, all Canadians should be taught both English and French and by the time they graduate from High School - the requirement would be that they would be completely fluent in both.. On another note, I think we need to be much more active in cultural exchanges in schooling as well so we understand one another more from a young age..

There are pro's and con's to Quebec separation for Quebec but I think the cons outweigh the pro's and I think we have an opportunity as a nation to work on a stronger union.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You don't haev to agree. But if you can't even read Quebecois news or understand what the Quebecois are saying, then sorry, you don't get it and never will. Nothing you say can change this. English media news sources on Quebec are inherently biased and show an unbelievably one sided political view of Quebec.

We're never going to fully understand one another irrespective of language familiarization (just like someone from Newfoundland isn't necessarily going to understand my experience even though we do speak the same language well - mostly lol) - but i've said over and over again I advocate mandatory bilingualism for all students going through schooling and increased cultural exchanges.. I get what you're saying and to a degree this there is validity - some of that is mitigated by someone like me having friends in Quebec and also learning from the likes of those who see the grey between the black and white like Acajack on here, but this doesn't mean that separation is the only answer...... Don't use my lack of French language skills as a way to placate my ability to think or be open minded and receptive to culture or challenges of QC or any other place in Canada.. There are many instances where connections transcend language - think beyond!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:

This is true. Trying to figure out Quebec only through the English lens is a bit like having Fox News as your only available news source. It is striking how clearly distorted most English-language publications in Quebec (or reporting on Quebec) are. The Montreal Gazette comes to mind.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
This is true. Trying to figure out Quebec only through the English lens is a bit like having Fox News as your only available news source. It is striking how clearly distorted most English-language publications in Quebec (or reporting on Quebec) are. The Montreal Gazette comes to mind.
The good thing for me is - I know friends and work with people from Quebec and I tend to look at all media with a critical and sceptical eye...

Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You are generally right and I myself often caution people who have strong interpretations about Quebec and do not speak French. That said, there are some people who succeed in overcoming the language barrier and make an effort to try and understand both points of view all the same. The francophone point(s) of view from Quebec are out there in English now and then if you look for them, even if they don't get a lot of pick-up.

I do think fusion2 is one of those people who works hard to try and think outside of the usual orthodoxy on Quebec in Toronto/Ontario/English Canada and tries to see things from the other guy's perspective.

In this sense, it's more a case of generosity of spirit and open-mindness than it is of naïveté. Definitely not a negative character trait in my view.

I suspect, if I may, that he probably at one point asked himself the same questions as I did about 20 years ago. It goes something like this:

OK, so Canada is a really good country by almost any measure. It's got everything going for it but it can't seem to shake this separatism thing that threatens to tear it apart. Why is that? Everyone around me seems to think that it's because the Frenchies over there are all ass-backwards and have got everything wrong on all counts. And yet, I look at Quebec and see people just like us who just want to live their lives and be happy. Even most Quebec separatists I've met were like that. And the thing about them just being plain dumb doesn't work either. There are Quebec separatists with PhDs who are eminent scholars in their fields include those of political science and economics. There are Quebec separatists who speak multiple languages and travel all over the world and exchange with people from a myriad of cultures. It can't be as simple and cut-and-dried an issue (wrong vs. right) as what everyone was saying it was at the rooftop barbecue in the Annex the other night. So I've got to find out more in order to try to get to the bottom of this. Find out why so many otherwise intelligent and well-intentioned people feel that Canada isn't and can't ever be *their* country. Then maybe we'll actually get somewhere.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Quote:

You can very easily read Quebecois news in English. French language web-pages are automatically translated in most browsers with the appropriate settings.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You can very easily read Quebecois news in English. French language web-pages are automatically translated in most browsers with the appropriate settings.
This is a typical sentiment among unilingual ROCanadians. You can translate news, but you will miss about 50% of the linguistic nuances. People who don't know more than one language don't understand this (not saying you specifically) and never will until they take upon the task of immersing themselves in another language and culture.

The anglophone minority in Qubec is 100% Quebecer like the rest of us, and they deserve to be treated like equals.

I support a Canadian Quebec, where people will be treated the same whether anglophone or francophone. In this Quebec French is officially the primary language but the rights of our fellow Quebecers are equally protected. Some anglophone media outlets feel differently, and help perpetuate an us vs. them mentality.

This is why you need to understand the two languages to see a clear picture of the situation. Hobbes aced it again when he said knowing only English and trying to understand Quebec is like only having Fox news as a source. I am raised as the tiny "truly bilingual" minority of Canada and I know this first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada