U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 PM

156 posts, read 147,844 times

Advertisements

It's because the younger generation doesn't care about Quebec like the older ones. The only Quebec we have ever known is the one that has made it clear it is another "nation" and is always on the verge of leaving. We have never seen one united Canada. For us that is a story we read about in books and our parents can tell us about just like they tell us about black and white television. And thats fine. Quebec is obviously a foreign country in all but name. Lets just say it, you have to be lying to say otherwise. We have 100x more in common the Americans and British.

Since today Quebec is pretty much just like a kind of strategic ally, why should we feel an emotional attachment to it? We all know that once Canada no longer serves Quebec's interests, they will say thanks and leave. That is undeniable. So what's the point? In the numbers Quebec is not really an asset for Canada. the pros no longer outweigh the cons. I mean, if you are in a have a business partner, do you stay with them once they become a financial burden? Do you say "well hold on a minute, they have a nice culture and so lets stick together?" Of course not, you shake hands and split. Maybe we will align again in the future but it the whole thing makes less and less sense as time goes on.

Trust me I'm 27 and most younger (English speaking) people 30 and under could care less if Quebec leaves. Its more like, ok then get it over with already. We arent really phased by the threats like our parents were. your going to leave? Ok, cool, whatever. We are in 2015 now, but the entire Quebec debate and much of the older population is still desperately clinging to 1995. The big "what if" is how Quebec will leave, and what year exactly it will happen. It's not even really an "if" like it seemed back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:15 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol - well I think dumb is a bit harsh and abrasive (typical American style lol ) but DRAMA - you got it man it is a bunch of that. If we spent as much time working together with good intentions we'd be A LOT further ahead..
Yeah but that's no fun

Old 01-24-2015, 06:17 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,135,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah but that's no fun
LOL you're too much but this is why i'm saying C/D drama is like popcorn entertainment, only based partly on reality

I'm a part of it though I admit to not even clicking on the "Green Party" thread zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
It's because the younger generation doesn't care about Quebec like the older ones. The only Quebec we have ever known is the one that has made it clear it is another "nation" and is always on the verge of leaving. We have never seen one united Canada. For us that is a story we read about in books and our parents can tell us about just like they tell us about black and white television. And thats fine. Quebec is obviously a foreign country in all but name. Lets just say it, you have to be lying to say otherwise. We have 100x more in common the Americans and British.

Since today Quebec is pretty much just like a kind of strategic ally, why should we feel an emotional attachment to it? We all know that once Canada no longer serves Quebec's interests, they will say thanks and leave. That is undeniable. So what's the point? In the numbers Quebec is not really an asset for Canada. the pros no longer outweigh the cons. I mean, if you are in a have a business partner, do you stay with them once they become a financial burden? Do you say "well hold on a minute, they have a nice culture and so lets stick together?" Of course not, you shake hands and split. Maybe we will align again in the future but it the whole thing makes less and less sense as time goes on.

Trust me I'm 27 and most younger (English speaking) people 30 and under could care less if Quebec leaves. Its more like, ok then get it over with already. We arent really phased by the threats like our parents were. your going to leave? Ok, cool, whatever. We are in 2015 now, but the entire Quebec debate and much of the older population is still desperately clinging to 1995. The big "what if" is how Quebec will leave, and what year exactly it will happen. It's not even really an "if" like it seemed back then.
Which younger generation and where? In Toronto, In Ottawa, In Calgary, In Halifax, In Vancouver.. We're a massive country and in all likelihood its not that the younger generation doesn't care they're just concerned with making a life for themselves and making the transition from adolescence to adulthood. .. I don't think that there is anything indifferent about it or not caring about other parts of the country.. If the country starts fracturing into pieces though, I think we'll all start caring at that point.. We're in a global world now, Canada benefits being Canada on the world stage - fractured nations and new nations would need to establish themselves as much smaller players in that world.. I'm not eager for that to happen - what we have is over 150 years in the making built by generations of Canadians.. Its worth fighting for as far as I'm concerned. Some people just dismiss what we have as a nation and its odd really - Canadians who have travelled around the world know very well what it is we have.. I'd much rather be a Canadian than an Ontarian or a Torontonian... So to what end do we fracture and when would enough be enough... Its a slippery slope...

Another point to make is that the younger generation hasn't had to grow up with strong separatist sentiment in our country - if it did I think you'd find that they would start becoming much more engaged in it.. I think you have had a negative experience in Quebec and you're projecting that experience to reflect the viewpoint that you're in the majority.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-24-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post

Younger Canadians don't shive a git if they're still using a visa card to buy a latte for crying out loud why would their opinions about Quebec carry any more weight. Younger Canadians only show concern when someone threatens to raise the parking rates at the Queen St parking garage. Why would we expect the break up of an entire country, as we now know it, to concern them one iota.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Younger Canadians don't shive a git if they're still using a visa card to buy a latte for crying out loud why would their opinions about Quebec carry any more weight. Younger Canadians only show concern when someone threatens to raise the parking rates at the Queen St parking garage. Why would we expect the break up of an entire country, as we now know it, to concern them one iota.
lol - the Prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed in most until at least age 25... This area of the brain is mainly responsible for higher order cognitive behaviour, personality expression and decision making.. This is why people younger than this age don't have a great appreciation for the long term impact of poor decision making/judgement..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:52 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's rich. Let's ask Jamaicans in Toronto or Francophones in Eastern Ontario if they feel their cultures are equally valued.
And why should we value their cultures equally to whatever cultures we do value ....is there a law requiring it lest they feel ignored........poor dears?

By all means lets value every cultural presence in Canada equally. Care to tell me exactly how and what tangible example of appreciation would be used to measure this equality so as to satisfy all those feeling "unappreciated". Strings of coloured beads perhaps?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:10 AM

325 posts, read 295,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Iz that really you modern rebel?
What do you mean??

Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 PM

873 posts, read 814,358 times
Lol every second thread in this forum has been about Quebec lately.

Why are the majority of active threads on the Canada forum about Quebec?-untitled.jpg

Last edited by GM10; 01-25-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol - the Prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed in most until at least age 25... This area of the brain is mainly responsible for higher order cognitive behaviour, personality expression and decision making.. This is why people younger than this age don't have a great appreciation for the long term impact of poor decision making/judgement..
I'd watch it, younger people these days are probably more smart... cultured... knowledgeable than older people....

however i think the previous point about young Canadians not caring about Quebec independence is false to begin with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or