U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-24-2015, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Nashua, NH
111 posts, read 173,629 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

Do people visit Calgary for the sake of tourism? Is it a nice city to visit and are there good attractions there that would draw people in? Or is it a utilitarian kind of city with a vanilla and residential kind of vibe full of chains, franchises, and same retail as anywhere else with steakhouses for executives with expense accounts? Is it diverse? Are there interesting neighborhoods outside of downtown?

I have the impression that Calgary doesn't have really any of the cachet or soul that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have and its used as an airport and gateway city to the Rockies. What about the city itself based on its own stand alone merits? Is it actually a cool city?





(I posted this in the Canada forum to get a more diverse range opinions than locally in the Calgary forum).

Last edited by Shane73; 01-24-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 PM
 
3,274 posts, read 3,690,715 times
Reputation: 5434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Or is it a utilitarian kind of city with a vanilla and residential kind of vibe full of chains, franchises, and retail as anywhere else with steakhouses for executives with expense accounts?


(I posted this in the Canada forum to get a more diverse range opinions than locally in the Calgary forum).
You just described Calgary to a T. Where the fine dining options are rare, medium-rare and medium (don't even think about ordering well-done, you unsophisticated pleb!). It is merely a gateway to the Rockies.

(Unless you're from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, in which case Calgary is a veritable Dubai!)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Nashua, NH
111 posts, read 173,629 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Unless you're from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, in which case Calgary is a veritable Dubai!
LOL, That paints the picture!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14141
It's a fun place to visit during the Calgary Stampede.

.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
It's OK to visit for a few days and then head to Banff of Jasper. It's a clean city with a nice shopping street and a good park near downtown. Princes Island Park.

http://goo.gl/YoLouB

http://goo.gl/2fJaUr

I'd visit in summer.

If you're interested in palaeontology, Drumheller is not too far.


Royal Tyrrell Museum
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I'd visit in summer.

If you're interested in palaeontology, Drumheller is not too far.


Royal Tyrrell Museum
I'm glad you added the Royal Tyrrell Museum - plus the Alberta Badlands as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM
 
873 posts, read 813,931 times
Reputation: 554
Not really. It's okay for a day but then everything gets boring. In terms of the city itself, Ottawa for example which gets called boring all the time is a way, way more interesting city to visit than Calgary. Head out of the city to the mountains and Banff though. Those places are interesting to see.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Reputation: 10283
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You just described Calgary to a T. Where the fine dining options are rare, medium-rare and medium (don't even think about ordering well-done, you unsophisticated pleb!). It is merely a gateway to the Rockies.

(Unless you're from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, in which case Calgary is a veritable Dubai!)
It sort of stopped being like that around, oh, thirty years ago...

There's lots to see and do, and it is a very diverse city with a good transit system and some solid attractions. Once you get outside of the general core, it is a suburbia like all others, but really Downtown and general area are great.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Nashua, NH
111 posts, read 173,629 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It sort of stopped being like that around, oh, thirty years ago...

There's lots to see and do, and it is a very diverse city with a good transit system and some solid attractions. Once you get outside of the general core, it is a suburbia like all others, but really Downtown and general area are great.
What are the solid attractions that would draw one to spend the night there instead of heading straight west to the Rockies? I'm just trying to get a feel for the stand alone merits that make Calgary worth visiting. My first guess would be some city parks, judging by photos they look very attractive. Beyond that I wouldn't know much. I'd imagine there is probably a neighborhood or two on the periphery of downtown with a few eclectic blocks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
What are the solid attractions that would draw one to spend the night there instead of heading straight west to the Rockies? I'm just trying to get a feel for the stand alone merits that make Calgary worth visiting. My first guess would be some city parks, judging by photos they look very attractive. Beyond that I wouldn't know much. I'd imagine there is probably a neighborhood or two on the periphery of downtown with a few eclectic blocks.
I think it would be cool to spend the night if anything just to walk around the core of the city and take it in.. I mean if you're going to visit the Rockies and other attractions in the area - spending at least some time in an emerging million plus western Canadian city is probably a given worthy of at least a night and day (you really can't go wrong with I mean you're there and have to fly in anyway lol).. I'm a bit of a skyscraper enthusiast as well and Calgary is impressive in that regard - especially for a city of its size it punches above weight - i'd go just to see the BOW.

I'd personally check this out...

Heritage Park Historical Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus i'm sure there'd be splended views of the city and surrounding countryside going up the Calgary Tower..

Just my .02 - i'm sure Calgarians can pipe in with more specifics..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top