Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:21 PM

81 posts, read 100,213 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your advice. I have researched immigrating and it looks like I have a good shot at immigrating to a America thanks to my background in engineering and credentials. Some of the comments have really helped me identify why I want out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 PM

678 posts, read 870,400 times
the cheap places in America are cheap because they are Arizona and Georgia......

Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM

21 posts, read 26,354 times
Hello LK....I will be 60 in September, so I think I have lived on this earth long enough to give my two cent of advice to you. In my previous life.....when I was much younger, between the age of 18-30....I lived up in Edmonton, Alberta....I was just a young immigrant from Southern Europe. I met the most wonderful people while in Alberta, but yes I totally agree with you...sub-zero, long snowy and icy winters and short wet summers, was not exactly a joy to live in. I have also lived in Calgary and Vancouver. This is my advice to you, IF you do have a chance to run away from the cold, do it. I have lived many years in South Florida, and could not exchange that place for nothing in the whole United States, weather wise and social life as well. For family reason, I find myself in northern Missouri now, and in many ways I hate it because it reminds me so much of Alberta's weather. But, I must say of all the places I have visited in the whole US, South Florida comes as number one. The Pacific North West is LOVELY, but too much rain and not enough sunshine for most of the year. If by any reason, you cannot relocate to the US, may I suggest either Calgary or the Vancouver/Victoria area. Calgary, does not have harsh winters like most of Canada, and the beautiful Rockies, are very close by. I call Calgary the Canadian Denver, so similar in many ways. If you do however hate snow and ice just as much as I do.....I would relocate either in the Vancouver or Victoria area. Both places are blessed with much beautiful nature and you will never ever freeze your tail off like the rest of Canada does in the winter months. Yes, the rain is boring, but I rather face the rain or grey skies than have to freeze up for most of the year. Best of luck to you. May all your dreams come true, and you are a young guy so I am sure most of them will.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,503,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanshores View Post
Calgary, does not have harsh winters like most of Canada, and the beautiful Rockies, are very close by. I call Calgary the Canadian Denver, so similar in many ways. [Emphasis added.]
I'm afraid that your memory must be failing you when it comes to Calgary. Winters are almost always very cold in Calgary. They do offer sun, but they're freezing.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Does Edmonton have short, wet summers?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 PM

198 posts, read 420,492 times
For the OP: you don't like the Canadian winters, want cheaper cost of living and better jobs opportunities. This is a no brainer find a job in US on a TN visa. For a young engineer the options in US are way ahead what you will find in Canada, now that the US economy is in better shape than north of the border. If you are not in New York or San Francisco the cost of buying a house is significantly lower in US, the rents not so much.
We can slice it and dice it to eternity if you are a young ambitious healthy professional chances are you will have better job prospects in US, with faster career advancement.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM

MACLOCK......Yes, it has been many moons ago since I lived in Alberta. I can only speak for my own experience....Winters were much milder down in Calgary than up in Edmonton. On this...I am sure 100%. This is not to say that Calgary does not get heavy snow, ice and freezing temps....Not at all....but between the two cities....Edmonton truly is the coldest of the two.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Zoisite, I have lived in green Edmonton for 10 long years. This is my personal experience about Summers in Edmonton....June and July....were for the most part very wet and on the chilly side.....In August we would have maybe two to three weeks of real gorgeous sunny and dry weather.....It would turn quite chilly in September, but nice beautiful dry Fall days. I know the weather has changed a lot since the 70's mid 80's so I do not know if this weather patter still continues up in the Edmonton area.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
MACLOCK......Yes, it has been many moons ago since I lived in Alberta. I can only speak for my own experience....Winters were much milder down in Calgary than up in Edmonton. On this...I am sure 100%. This is not to say that Calgary does not get heavy snow, ice and freezing temps....Not at all....but between the two cities....Edmonton truly is the coldest of the two.
Edmonton can often be colder in the winter, no doubt about it, but Calgary's winter weather is equally abhorrent in my experience. The Chinook winds are so oversold (not that you're selling them here at all; in fact, you don't even mention them, but Calgarians do love to boast about Chinooks as if they make a meaningful difference). Chinooks don't make up for the many months of misery Calgarians have to endure during the winter, a near-identical kind of misery that Edmontonians have to endure.

I think that the differences between Calgary and Edmonton when it comes to winter weather are somewhat insignificant and I base that opinion upon my own experience of having lived in both places. Both cities are winter weather losers, as are most large Canadian cities other than Victoria or Vancouver. Kelowna might get a pass in this category for those who don't mind some snow and ice. Me? I'm not a fan of snow and ice and so I don't care for winter weather in just about any of Canada's cities. They all fall somewhere on the bad weather spectrum as far as I'm concerned. Some are worse than others, sure, but all are bad in the end.

Last edited by maclock; 03-03-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Zoisite, I have lived in green Edmonton for 10 long years. This is my personal experience about Summers in Edmonton....June and July....were for the most part very wet and on the chilly side.....In August we would have maybe two to three weeks of real gorgeous sunny and dry weather.....It would turn quite chilly in September, but nice beautiful dry Fall days. I know the weather has changed a lot since the 70's mid 80's so I do not know if this weather patter still continues up in the Edmonton area.
I expect that your idea of nice summer weather and mine are a bit different, americanshores. In my opinion, Edmonton has one of the nicest summers I've experienced anywhere in Canada. It's sunny most of the time, it's warm, and the humidity is much lower than it is elsewhere, so it isn't muggy. Around mid-May right through to mid- to late-September, you can get away with hanging up your jacket and not wearing it during the daytime. If you're lucky, then that pleasant weather will start a couple of weeks earlier and/or end a couple of weeks later than it might otherwise do.

Edmonton nights can be cool for a good bit of that period, I'll allow, but I find that the daytime summer weather itself is a treat. The summers don't make up for the horrible winters in Edmonton, but they are very nice in my estimation. To each their own, however. We like what we like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada