U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 AM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, he's just being deliberately obtuse so he can justify what are honestly pretty bigoted statements, (I mean fhonestly PBeau, I get that you have a political agenda you're trying to promote, but the things you say about an entire people are straight hateful and you'd chastise anyone from any ethnicity for saying similarly prejudiced things about another group). I was educated in Quebec, the UELs are part of the history of Quebec and Canada grade 10 curriculum, your average Quebecker is perfectly aware of them.
I mean, the term "Loyaliste" even exists in popular speech here, even if it's not always complimentary when used to describe someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 AM

359 posts, read 264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This post demonstrates you know absolutely nothing about anglo Canada, especially this line:

I mean seriously... You are a citizen of Canada and are this ignorant of its history?

Here's a link that should help you: United Empire Loyalist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I get that you are a troll and hate the ROC, but the legacy of the United Empire Loyalists has a strong presence in Quebec as well, as the link above illustrates. To ignorantly brand UELs as "Americans that didn't make the cut" is to brand Quebeckers as "Americans that didn't make the cut", seeing how the majority of UELs that left America settled there.

It would appear that the Quebec education system needs a very dramatic overhaul.
I have spent half of my life in anglo Canada, graduated with my masters degree from an (anglo) Ontario university, and speak English impeccably. I know about anglo Canada as much as anyone.

The loyalists? They were cowards and traitors who sold out their people for their own personal profit. They rolled the dice and lost badly. They are hardly the kind of people who should be glorified. Besides most went back to the US, but that part is usually left out of revisionist myth making.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I know about anglo Canada as much as anyone.
Oh yeah, you have 'us' all figure out

Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 AM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
I have spent half of my life in anglo Canada, graduated with my masters degree from an (anglo) Ontario university, and speak English impeccably. I know about anglo Canada as much as anyone.

The loyalists? They were cowards and traitors who sold out their people for their own personal profit. They rolled the dice and lost badly. They are hardly the kind of people who should be glorified. Besides most went back to the US, but that part is usually left out of revisionist myth making.
For those wondering about the Loyalists of whom you speak,
The Arrival of the Loyalists in Canada | Site for Language Management in Canada (SLMC)

Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 PM

163 posts, read 154,462 times
Quote:

On another notice, I do not think the loyalists are glorified so much in this day and age.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 PM

156 posts, read 148,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
On another notice, I do not think the loyalists are glorified so much in this day and age.
They should be glorified. The loyalists turned Canada from a French backwater into a modern first world country. The truth is that Canada is better off because of them.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 AM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:

Whatever your views and opinions are of the Empire Loyalists i'm sure with your general attitude you'll be pleased to know that in the last 50-60 years the once large demographic of Empire Loyalists that populated Quebecs Eastern Townships and Chateauguay Valley are now all gone and the entire area has become almost entirely francophone. Current remnants of Empire Loyalists have died off or moved to the ROC and now remain just a forgotten foot note in Quebecs history.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-25-2015 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Made a correction at user's request.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,035,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
They should be glorified. The loyalists turned Canada from a French backwater into a modern first world country. The truth is that Canada is better off because of them.
Ah. Such a funny boy!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM

105 posts, read 74,527 times
Interesting stuff about the loyalists. Are the "loyalists" really celebrated as good in Canada? Weren't they traitors? From what I have read the loyalists were anti-democracy and anti-progressive. And if I understand this correctly, Canada was an entirely French colony, and then Americans are the ones who started English Canada? Doesn't that make English Canadians Americans? If this is the case why do so many English Canadians have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Americans, considering that they are by definition Americans? Forgive me, dumb Swedish guy here, but isn't this the case?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Karlsson View Post
Interesting stuff about the loyalists. Are the "loyalists" really celebrated as good in Canada? Weren't they traitors? From what I have read the loyalists were anti-democracy and anti-progressive. And if I understand this correctly, Canada was an entirely French colony, and then Americans are the ones who started English Canada? Doesn't that make English Canadians Americans? If this is the case why do so many English Canadians have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Americans, considering that they are by definition Americans? Forgive me, dumb Swedish guy here, but isn't this the case?
Yes, in Canadian history the Loyalists were the "good guys", and generally seen as more level-headed, reasonable and responsible.

So it is true that modern-day English Canadian society has its roots in Americans who came north from the United States after the Revolution down there. Of course, many more people came directly from the British Isles and other parts of the world to join English Canadian society since that time. Only a small portion of the English speaking population of Canada today is descended from Loyalists.

The Loyalist history is not played up as much as it could be in Canada as Anglo Canada has in recent years been very keen on distancing itself from its British origins, in favour instead of a more multicultural national mythology.

Also, the Loyalist history gets mixed up in the minds of some Canadians given the preponderance of American popular culture in Canada. For example, Benedict Arnold is mentioned in a whole bunch of American stuff as the ultimate example of a traitor. But according to Canadian history he is a hero as he was a Loyalist.

I suspect that many Canadians who grew up on American popular culture would be a bit confused about him, and if you asked them a huge number would say he was a hero and not a traitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or