U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
What I am saying has been rather reasonable and rational. Would you rather me emulate Acajack? Tip toe around the needs and wants of anglo Canadians? I find it is better to speak truthfully, rather than line my lies with pleasantries.
Very nice.

The needs and wants of 98% of Anglo-Canadians have absolutely nothing to do with the inner goings-on within the province of Quebec. Almost everything I suggested would have zero effect on Anglo-Canadians unless they have some dominator's reflexes that they think justify sticking their noses in the way people live and govern themselves locally here?

What exactly would an Anglo-Canadian non-dominator have an issue with? They are gonna wanna have us stop kissing on both cheeks? Our women are going to have to wear white New Balance sneakers when they go out to dinner on Saturday night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
You know what PBeauchamp? At least you are direct with your demands. You don't even bother to mask it or pretend that Quebec can ever be placated. .
The problem with this starting point for a discussion is that the stuff that is seen as ''placating'' Quebec is either a) available to any other province or b) not anything that Quebec ever asked for.

The anger about Quebec being placated by Ottawa is fallaciously-based, as most of the stuff that Quebec has always asked for has never been conceded to it by Ottawa.

My proposals kind of address these demands (or at least the nucleus of what they are meant to address), and also have been tweaked in order to have the least possible impact (read = none) on the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Nation du Québec
237 posts, read 185,838 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Very nice.

The needs and wants of 98% of Anglo-Canadians have absolutely nothing to do with the inner goings-on within the province of Quebec. Almost everything I suggested would have zero effect on Anglo-Canadians unless they have some dominator's reflexes that they think justify sticking their noses in the way people live and govern themselves locally here?

What exactly would an Anglo-Canadian non-dominator have an issue with? They are gonna wanna have us stop kissing on both cheeks? Our women are going to have to wear white New Balance sneakers when they go out to dinner on Saturday night?
It is the domination complex, because remember that you are a dumb French. Two options are to "stay in your place" or the other option of "independence". I know my selection here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
 
2,562 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
It is the domination complex, because remember that you are a dumb French. Two options are to "stay in your place" or the other option of "independence". I know my selection here.
Before, I would've agreed with you because even I exhibited a bit of superior feeling towards Quebec. However, I've also talked to a lot of people here in Ontario and my parents and their friends in Vancouver since then, and the general impression was that they didn't really have any major issues with Quebec's language laws or their internal affairs. Most people have nothing but good things to say about the flourishing French language scene in Quebec, and the beautiful cities and vibrant cultures of Montreal and Quebec City. I didn't get the feeling that my mom or her friends were thirsting for "dominance" over Quebec and the Francophones, as you put it. In fact, my mom's even been taking French lessons on her free time, in Vancouver, which says a lot about how she feels towards Francophone Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Brossard
66 posts, read 109,242 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I can guess you are a angryphone by the end of the first line. Shocking, no?
Not at all, I acknowledge that it's just a minor difference. Just a clarification, really. I am happy in Quebec even with what I may dislike about it.

But why are some posters on this forum so easily labeled as an angryphone for expressing some of their displeasure with
the situation in Quebec? seems like some automatic excuse just to ignore certain opinions. Sure, their attempts are probably futile but by far the majority of anglophones are well past the stage of demanding exact equality, just some recognition as an official minority with historical importance. I am by no means, an activist of this or anything, I could care less but it would be nice.

Last edited by Nationalistdefeator; 03-09-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Canada
170 posts, read 137,281 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Not at all, I acknowledge that it's just a minor difference. Just a clarification, really. I am happy in Quebec even with what I may dislike about it.

But why are some posters on this forum so easily labeled as an angryphone for expressing some of their displeasure with
the situation in Quebec? seems like some automatic excuse just to ignore certain opinions. Sure, their attempts are probably futile but by far the majority of anglophones are well past the stage of demanding exact equality, just some recognition as an official minority with historical importance. I am by no means, an activist of this or anything, I could care less but it would be nice.
I'm there with you, I was called an angryphone at first for believing that it's time for Quebec to separate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: europe
77 posts, read 77,206 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The needs and wants of 98% of Anglo-Canadians have absolutely nothing to do with the inner goings-on within the province of Quebec.
Do they? You are talking like Quebec is part of a loose confederation. It is a province therefore doing something like forcing a radical change on the federal government affects everyone.<br><br>

Why wouldn't you just achieve independence so then you can have full control over your nation without having to ask permission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
Do they? You are talking like Quebec is part of a loose confederation.
Canada is a reasonably loose federation. It's often referred to as a ''confederation'' as that was the term used for the union that was formed in 1867. We have Confederation this and Confederation that all over the place: road, boulevard, building, parkway, park, square, etc.

In actual fact Canada is not a true confederation like Switzerland. But our provinces do control a lot of stuff, including education, health care, social welfare, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Montreal
359 posts, read 264,395 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
Do they? You are talking like Quebec is part of a loose confederation. It is a province therefore doing something like forcing a radical change on the federal government affects everyone.

Why wouldn't you just achieve independence so then you can have full control over your nation without having to ask permission?
Independence is not the right move at this time. Canada offers Quebec too much, so until this changes we can't throw away this opportunity. Those who seek independence are usually the same ones who illogically place emotions before financial incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Independence is not the right move at this time. Canada offers Quebec too much, so until this changes we can't throw away this opportunity. Those who seek independence are usually the same ones who illogically place emotions before financial incentives.
When would ever be a good time if what you say is true - when Quebec no longer requires transfer payments? It is pretty silly logic if you ask me.. I don't won't Quebec to separate, but I must say that there is no good reason to frame one's view for or against based on 'getting' things from the R.O.C.. It would benefit any Province to simply have as strong an economic climate as possible within Canada or on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top