U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No, you're correct. At one time, the RCMP handled policing duties at airports, but since the governance of Canadian airports was downloaded from Transport Canada to entities like the GTAA, local police fill the need. So Peel Regional PS fills the need at Pearson, Calgary PS fills the need in Calgary, and so on.
Does the Peel Regional Police at YYZ have officers that can speak French on regular duty there?

Just joking... never mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 04:46 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does the Peel Regional Police at YYZ have officers that can speak French on regular duty there?

Just joking... never mind!
No but they say Hello Bonjour lol...

Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,184,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No but they say Hello Bonjour lol...
Those Hello Bonjours... starting to get on my nerves now that I travel weekly via Pearson

Old 08-24-2017, 02:18 AM

893 posts, read 628,183 times
What I do like about Canada is that they at least admit there is a problem and the one way obsession and hatred towards the USA. But anti Americanism is an international phenomenon. Yet when you bring it up --say the US obsession and hatred from British people or Germans people -- they all play dumb and deflect. The US is a powerful nation, but that is not what is fueling the obsession. Foreign coverage of a superpower is normal until you start doing reports on unimportant things (snowstorm, state and municipal politics, random stories about fat people) because of your own voyeurism. It is also about pointing to a nation and looking for flaws to make yourself look better. It is one thing I like about the US. The US is very jingoistic, but we don't go around making endless news reports about Japan, France, Slovenia in order to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. We only cover foreign countries when there is something noteworthy like an election, a financial crisis, a natural disaster, a major trade deal, etc.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:27 AM

893 posts, read 628,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Zoisite: Most Canadians are going to ask if we are American -- sometimes sooner (noticing the accent) than later (friendships where personal questions do come up). Most any American will say yes, I'm American, just as Canadians living here in NYC always tell you they're originally from Vancouver or Regina or Winnipeg.

Unlike the OP, though, I understand that Canadians might resent America, which is a very populous and influential nation. The US often dominates front pages around the world like no other does (outside the newspaper's own country). As a Canadian poster mentions here, the CBC sends reporters to cover even minor US weather stories (and so do many European and Asian media, too). That creates lots of resentment, and not just from Canadians. Ask many Brits, French, and Australians about all the US coverage in their home countries.
But the US doesn't force any of those countries to give obsessive coverage. This is what I am talking about. You are blaming Americans for the unsolicited coverage and obsession. The lack of accountability creeps me out.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 AM

2,781 posts, read 1,019,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
But the US doesn't force any of those countries to give obsessive coverage. This is what I am talking about. You are blaming Americans for the unsolicited coverage and obsession. The lack of accountability creeps me out.
Yes, it's a very childish kind of behaviour that is all too common in international news. Many of those countries cover unimportant US news to show how much better off they are, the they have the audacity to call Americans self-centered and ignorant.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm in Canada right now for work. I'm not a jingoist by any means so I keep my opinions about the United States to myself when I'm in a foreign country, always. That said, is there a reason why, if people find out I'm an American citizen (this usually happens when Canadians find out I don't know anything about hockey), that Canadians feel the need to tell me why their country is better?

I will concede that this is minority of people, but honestly, it's happened 3 times and I've been here less than 48 hours. In all my travels, I have never experienced anything like it. I decided to search "ways Canada is better than the US" on google and it returned like 405 million results. I tried to search "ways the US is better than Canada" but it simply returns back to the "Canada is better than the US" lists from before. So I decided to put it in quotes and I can't find a list of the ways the US is better than Canada.

It could be that there are 405 million ways Canada is better than the US, or it's also possible that its only Canadians making these lists: this seems to be pretty one-sided. Why is it only Canadians making these lists? I'm sure there's an article somewhere extolling the US over Canada, but they appear rare.
Here's what you should do as an experiment. When you return to the U.S. just pretend to all those who do not know you that you are a Canadian working temporarily in the U.S. and see how long it takes before the usual condescension and 'numero-uno' stuff falls on your ears. It's always more noticeable when you think you've identified a one-way exchange.

Just returned from a ten day visit down there to glimpse the eclipse and listened to enough of that to choke a gator. Happened everywhere from the three Lake Tellico Golf/marina clubs to the local Stones hardware store where I was getting a couple of tools to help my host repair his boat hoists. The one example I took real umbrage at was when expressing sympathy for those ten dead sailors from another terrible destroyer involved collision and the rejoinder is: "that's something Canada doesn't have to worry about because they don't have a navy."

You just need to be a bit more circumspect with respect to your ingrained prejudice and when the occasion arises, listen to some of the demeaning things commonly said about Canada and Canadians without simply dismissing them.

It goes both ways.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's what you should do as an experiment. When you return to the U.S. just pretend to all those who do not know you that you are a Canadian working temporarily in the U.S. and see how long it takes before the usual condescension and 'numero-uno' stuff falls on your ears. It's always more noticeable when you think you've identified a one-way exchange.

Just returned from a ten day visit down there to glimpse the eclipse and listened to enough of that to choke a gator. Happened everywhere from the three Lake Tellico Golf/marina clubs to the local Stones hardware store where I was getting a couple of tools to help my host repair his boat hoists. The one example I took real umbrage at was when expressing sympathy for those ten dead sailors from another terrible destroyer involved collision and the rejoinder is: "that's something Canada doesn't have to worry about because they don't have a navy."

You just need to be a bit more circumspect with respect to your ingrained prejudice and when the occasion arises, listen to some of the demeaning things commonly said about Canada and Canadians without simply dismissing them.

It goes both ways.
Amazing isn't it. After you picked yourself off the floor, how did you respond?

Old 08-25-2017, 04:36 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Amazing isn't it. After you picked yourself off the floor, how did you respond?
I pointed out that perhaps it was foolish of me to express grief for ten dead young people and expect an American to understand the universality at sympathy for needless death since they've become so inured to it.

I was not alone but sitting with an American friend who does not suffer fools easily and he took the guy to task as well with one of those "no wonder the whole world hates us" missives. This; after a round of golf with three of the nicest guys you could hope to enjoy a nineteenth hole with. The one old fellow was 89 years old who spent many summers as a student canoeing Algonquin and was a Chief in the USN and later the "Coasties" stationed out of San Diego for some years and knew a bit of Canada's long and interesting naval history.

He regaled us with a few stories such as the old HMCS Bonaventure serving alongside American carriers during the Cuba blockade and due to it's shorter flight deck having some American pilots refusing to land on her. He said that ship amazed everyone by running sorties of banshees around the clock while keeping four submarine trackers and two helicopters in the air 24/7 for the duration of the crisis patrolling her assigned 200 square miles. I had never heard that before.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I pointed out that perhaps it was foolish of me to express grief for ten dead young people and expect an American to understand the universality at sympathy for needless death since they've become so inured to it.

I was not alone but sitting with an American friend who does not suffer fools easily and he took the guy to task as well with one of those "no wonder the whole world hates us" missives. This; after a round of golf with three of the nicest guys you could hope to enjoy a nineteenth hole with. The one old fellow was 89 years old who spent many summers as a student canoeing Algonquin and was a Chief in the USN and later the "Coasties" stationed out of San Diego for some years and knew a bit of Canada's long and interesting naval history.

He regaled us with a few stories such as the old HMCS Bonaventure serving alongside American carriers during the Cuba blockade and due to it's shorter flight deck having some American pilots refusing to land on her. He said that ship amazed everyone by running sorties of banshees around the clock while keeping four submarine trackers and two helicopters in the air 24/7 for the duration of the crisis patrolling her assigned 200 square miles. I had never heard that before.
Nice to have back-up

I guess what I just don't understand, is why would someone think that Canada doesn't have a navy? I would of loved to have asked the guy his thought, or lack of thought, process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada