U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,377,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do realize that article places much of its prediction of Canada's world prominence rise? ON A MAJOR CLIMATE CHANGE THAT WILL MODERATE CANADA'S CLIMATE?? It also says 40years time.

But no one here is lessening Canada whatsoever? Canadians continue to boast a superior political system to the US and economic growth and a city like Toronto..... becoming the NYC of the North, to surpass LA too and already boasting Chicago? Canadians can continue to boast a superior political system? Yet the US is the one that evolved to the status it holds. As China overtakes aspects with a billion people and INDIA continues to emerge? Brazil still may? It still is not just Canada?

China was given by mostly US industry moving there. In 30 years what it took the US and West to evolve from the start on the Industrial Revolution.
Guess you believe it's time Canadians begin the BOASTING, to the world and to Americans back? You use to call Boosters south of the border.... "Ugly Americans" over the top self-elevating braggarts? Perhaps you see it is Canadians time to do such in the world now, and pronounce the USA's decline and Canada's new rise in dominance?

Surely Canada rich in natural resources.... will propel a continued increase in exports of these commodities. But as a new China in manufacturing? I doubt that? But if climate change really changes in Canada's favor? Americans may seek moving northward? Will the border be open to them? Time will tell? Will Canada be able to absorb immigrants.... especially illegal border crossing as the US had to.... that in part, put a strain its economy?
Canadians boasting does not ALWAYS take the form of comparing to the U.S. but your points are well taken right up to that one of you having to absorb illegals. That was done by choice alone. America has had no problem forcing compliance upon Canada in securing it's northern border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Canadians boasting does not ALWAYS take the form of comparing to the U.S. but your points are well taken right up to that one of you having to absorb illegals. That was done by choice alone. America has had no problem forcing compliance upon Canada in securing it's northern border.
That's not really an apples to apples comparison. Canada does not have multiple nation states of third world conditions on its northern border, and Canada as a whole is not a middle tier second world nation with a history of tin pot dictators under the auspices of an election (contrary to whatever opinions we have about Governments current and past)

Yes, the US has provided a fertile market to tacitly encourage illegal immigration, but to say they aren't trying to enforce compliance is hardly accurate.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That's not really an apples to apples comparison. Canada does not have multiple nation states of third world conditions on its northern border, and Canada as a whole is not a middle tier second world nation with a history of tin pot dictators under the auspices of an election (contrary to whatever opinions we have about Governments current and past)

Yes, the US has provided a fertile market to tacitly encourage illegal immigration, but to say they aren't trying to enforce compliance is hardly accurate.
Well; I beg to differ as having spent many winter months in Yuma AZ over the course of 6 years, I witnessed the overlooking of things that would have resulted in America shutting down it's access points via Canada had they been happening with the frequency they were, and are, tolerated on the Mexican border.

When myself and a slew of Americans are lined up waiting to walk back through the American border check-point at Algodonez and we watch illegals wading the river alongside and under the windows of the building we're waiting in line to enter while observing those same agents watching them and doing nothing about it; to then witness those agents question Americans about there legitimacy to re-enter their own country........ something is seriously amiss.

I had a semi tractor sideswipe my vehicle in Yuma and had to chase the rig down and block him from leaving the city environs. Investigation by the attending police led to the discovery this driver was employed by (now defunct) Yuma Freight lines and was in the country illegally, employed illegally and upon insurance claim filed, was not covered by insurance due to his illegality, so my insurance had to sue the company for re-imbursement of claim for damages. He was allowed to leave unattended upon arrival of another driver.

Were that a Canadian driver he'd have been arrested and jailed pending deportation out of the country to never be allowed back.

I can give you many examples of this stuff going on with just my experience of visiting Az. and the Rio Grande Tx area in winter months and again witnessing them crossing in boats with calls by locals to the local Border Patrol going completely ignored.

It's a gross understatement at best to categorize the security of the border with Mexico as being in any way attempting to be secured. It is porous by political design and nothing short of that.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well; I beg to differ as having spent many winter months in Yuma AZ over the course of 6 years, I witnessed the overlooking of things that would have resulted in America shutting down it's access points via Canada had they been happening with the frequency they were, and are, tolerated on the Mexican border.

When myself and a slew of Americans are lined up waiting to walk back through the American border check-point at Algodonez and we watch illegals wading the river alongside and under the windows of the building we're waiting in line to enter while observing those same agents watching them and doing nothing about it; to then witness those agents question Americans about there legitimacy to re-enter their own country........ something is seriously amiss.

I had a semi tractor sideswipe my vehicle in Yuma and had to chase the rig down and block him from leaving the city environs. Investigation by the attending police led to the discovery this driver was employed by (now defunct) Yuma Freight lines and was in the country illegally, employed illegally and upon insurance claim filed, was not covered by insurance due to his illegality, so my insurance had to sue the company for re-imbursement of claim for damages. He was allowed to leave unattended upon arrival of another driver.

Were that a Canadian driver he'd have been arrested and jailed pending deportation out of the country to never be allowed back.

I can give you many examples of this stuff going on with just my experience of visiting Az. and the Rio Grande Tx area in winter months and again witnessing them crossing in boats with calls by locals to the local Border Patrol going completely ignored.

It's a gross understatement at best to categorize the security of the border with Mexico as being in any way attempting to be secured. It is porous by political design and nothing short of that.
I don't disagree at all. BUT you can walk unimpeded by anything for the vast majority of the 49th. It's just that we don't have a population that is willing to do it.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't disagree at all. BUT you can walk unimpeded by anything for the vast majority of the 49th. It's just that we don't have a population that is willing to do it.
We're agreeing again. Your point of being able to walk from country to country across the northern border is probably quite correct at the present time BUT were Canadians walking across unimpeded to enter the U.S. illegally, I guarantee they would not be allowed to do that to the tune of 12 million, with a couple of amnesties thrown in for good measure, before something was done to nip it in the bud.

As it is now, two law abiding societies are co-operating to the extent the longest border in the world needs no military defending. That's laudable.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:43 PM

104 posts, read 110,181 times
Default Im sorry... thats sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjanne View Post
Can I ask a serious question? What is it about us that makes Americans feel like they have to make fun of us or put us down. Most Americans don't think about us (you don't have to remind me) but some are always trying to get in a little snide remark anywhere they can.

I was ordering something over the phone from a U.S company and I spent around 15 minutes with a seemingly professional woman until just to the end she made a snide comment. I just don't know why they "tease" us.

surely you know that is not MOST People. I have never even heard of any Issues between Americans and Canadians, this is all news to me. When I think about Canada I think about how beautiful it is and how
I have never seen any of it

Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
You know, being an American, and having recently moved to Toronto for work, I have yet to encounter one instance in person where people would "boast" about some ridiculous U.S. vs Canada comparison. Many people here like the warmer climates in American south and many travel frequently to the U.S. for work or family. Sure, people have their reservations about certain aspects of American society, but again I have yet to encounter anybody openly initiate or pronounce those views in my face. It's only on the internet where you would encounter these rants.

If you know anything about Canadian politics, there is in fact a huge backlash against the current government's policy of proactive foreign policy that mirrors U.S. policies. Most people here would like a return to more simple times where Canada takes a more passive role in the world that befits its current stature and small population.

On the contrary, some of my American friends have this strange impression that somehow Canadians are obsessed with Canada-vs-US comparisons, even though most of them have never set foot in Canada and only have knowledge of Canada via the usual media stereotypes.
Great Post Bostonkid! As usual...

Old 02-11-2015, 04:07 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do realize that article places much of its prediction of Canada's world prominence rise? ON A MAJOR CLIMATE CHANGE THAT WILL MODERATE CANADA'S CLIMATE?? It also says 40years time.

But no one here is lessening Canada whatsoever? Canadians continue to boast a superior political system to the US and economic growth and a city like Toronto..... becoming the NYC of the North, to surpass LA too and already boasting Chicago? Canadians can continue to boast a superior political system? Yet the US is the one that evolved to the status it holds. As China overtakes aspects with a billion people and INDIA continues to emerge? Brazil still may? It still is not just Canada?

China was given by mostly US industry moving there. In 30 years what it took the US and West to evolve from the start on the Industrial Revolution.
Guess you believe it's time Canadians begin the BOASTING, to the world and to Americans back? You use to call Boosters south of the border.... "Ugly Americans" over the top self-elevating braggarts? Perhaps you see it is Canadians time to do such in the world now, and pronounce the USA's decline and Canada's new rise in dominance?

Surely Canada rich in natural resources.... will propel a continued increase in exports of these commodities. But as a new China in manufacturing? I doubt that? But if climate change really changes in Canada's favor? Americans may seek moving northward? Will the border be open to them? Time will tell? Will Canada be able to absorb immigrants.... especially illegal border crossing as the US had to.... that in part, put a strain its economy?
I can't - I just can't!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:51 PM

7,244 posts, read 6,585,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I can't - I just can't!
I know, right? It's hard to even try.

LOL.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Remarkable restraint shown by all......kudos gang! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada