Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city attracts you more and would like to visit?
Montreal 20 76.92%
Toronto 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM

72 posts, read 69,153 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather visit, why?

Last edited by JMT; 02-11-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 AM

72 posts, read 69,153 times
Montreal

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uly_7_2014.jpg

Toronto

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Toronto_7.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-11-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
Montreal to visit, easily

Toronto to live.

Last edited by JMT; 02-11-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Montreal, mostly because I've already been to Toronto. I have some friends there too.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Toronto, because even though I haven't been to Montreal in 1998, I had been several times between the ages 18-21 for the nightlife, always with friends so I have a lot of memories attached to it, and I've explored the city in depth. I've only been to Toronto for a very brief visit (also back in the 90's) and I'd like to explore it more in depth. I could see myself going to Montreal again anyway as it's an easy road trip from my native New England. Toronto was always one of those places to me that was too far to drive but not worth the flight. I think I'd be more open minded to exploring Toronto now. I like most of the Canadian cities I've been to and I love Chicago, so odds are I'd probably really dig Toronto.

I can't decide whether or not I like the Toronto skyline. From some angles it looks impressive like what's pictured above. The financial district has some cool looking towers from a few decades ago. Some photo angles make the skyline look unattractive as many of their signature towers are buried in a forest of glass boxes with monotonous and dull architecture. They are building like gangbusters there, but so many of the high rise residential towers in Toronto all look the same. Montreal's buildings look more distinctive and its definitely a much better looking city aesthetically.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-11-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Toronto, but only because I was born and raised in Montreal and haven't really had enough opportunities to explore Toronto properly and I'd like more of a chance to see what Toronto offers as an urban experience then I have so far. From a tourists perspective, I think Montreal is more accessible because its attractions are more compact and obvious. I get the impression Toronto's more of a city where you have to know where's good to go, and ideally have a local point you towards the cool things to do. That said I'd still like to hit the Distillery District, Kensington Market, and The Annex which I haven't done before.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I think a more interesting and revealing question might be which city you'd recommend for a visitor. Since where we've been seems to taint the answers and doesn't provide a real picture of which city we find more interesting or attractive.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think a more interesting and revealing question might be which city you'd recommend for a visitor. Since where we've been seems to taint the answers and doesn't provide a real picture of which city we find more interesting or attractive.
The OP started this in City vs City and the mods moved it to the Canada forum. The subject matter is more appropriate in the City vs City forum, it gets moved here and takes on a whole new context I guess.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think I would recommend both to be honest but it really depends on what their interests are... If it is a visitor from the U.S who is going to want to experience something that is more substantially different than what they're used to I'd go with Montreal rather easily for obvious reasons. If they want to visit a big city and have an urban experience with a little bit of everything you can't go wrong with Toronto - or they simply want to see something different 'light'

Really, the two are so close to one another neither should be missed.. I think you'll find interesting and unique things in both cities! I've seen Chinese tourists taking pictures of all the Churches on church street in T.O and thought to myself - really they aren't that interesting to me but that is because i've grown up with them all my life, but to those tourists those Churches were just different from what they were used to and thus interesting..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Toronto, but only because I was born and raised in Montreal and haven't really had enough opportunities to explore Toronto properly and I'd like more of a chance to see what Toronto offers as an urban experience then I have so far. From a tourists perspective, I think Montreal is more accessible because its attractions are more compact and obvious. I get the impression Toronto's more of a city where you have to know where's good to go, and ideally have a local point you towards the cool things to do. That said I'd still like to hit the Distillery District, Kensington Market, and The Annex which I haven't done before.
Good post.. I recommend the places you've listed!

If you haven't seen this check it out - it has a great vid on the district..

The Distillery Historic District

Also, just walk! Toronto is a lot more quirky and has more hidden gems than some people would envision and they are all there for those who are willing to do some walking! Check out the neogothic architecture at the U of T as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada