U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 AM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I wasn't going to bring in an anecdotal story...BUT....my grandfather was a World War 2 Veteran and a Korean War veteran AND a Quebecker, loved our new flag.
There ya go! A HAT TRICK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I'm sorry but being forced to adopt a new flag or having a new and flawed constitution forced upon a citizenry is not an indication of nation "growing up". Canada already had "it's own flag" and the Liberals changed it. (Our current flag is actually based on the NDP's proposal.)

Yeah, things change. Maybe one day the maple leaf will be replaced with a crescent or a hammer and sickle. Then it will be people like you who won't be able to "let it go".

The military, incidentally, is perhaps the most keen of our institutions to want to maintain traditions and heritage. They still understand our true relationship with the United Kingdom and I can't say that there has been much complaining about some of the errors made by the Liberals meant to make the CF "more independent". I'm sure they would welcome a restoration of the Red Ensign, too.
Ken where are you digging that you're able to find this stuff?

The military does what it's told. The military has no special credentials to maintain traditions and heritage as regards the country; merely their own if they indeed have any. Most of our serving units from previous WW's have long since been disbanded and consigned to that history you're banging on about.

The military is composed of young people inducted on a routine basis from the citizenry of the country, so in that regard they're not endowed with any special genetic code to enable enhanced "keenness". From my time in the "Senior Service" branch of the Canadian military, I can attest to not attending any "heritage" or "tradition" classes at all.

What's with this big "L" ~ "Liberal" used in the pejorative nonsense?

You're beginning to sound more and more like a crack-pot American constantly expressing obsession over one of the two parties of government as displayed in the inane childish partisan ravings on the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum of these very boards.

The Canada and Canadians you purport to hold in esteem would not have reduced themselves to such silly antics as considered beneath them but would rather have respected all sitting members as having come from a standing electorate enfranchised through the democratic process of that very heritage you so stridently proclaim superior.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 AM

Some history:

Red Ensign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
I agree. bring back the union jack.
Of course you would and, no chance in hades of that ever happening.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM

48,261 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Canada sold it's soul to the highest bidder and the maple leaf represents that. I'll take the red ensign, the real flag of Canada.
How did it sell itself to the highest bidder? And how does the maple leaf represent that?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,207,345 times
Just admit you don't have clue what you're talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Most of our serving units from previous WW's have long since been disbanded and consigned to that history...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How did it sell itself to the highest bidder? And how does the maple leaf represent that?
I don't get it either...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

284 posts, read 353,871 times
Canada has used the Maple Leaf since before I arrived in 1970, so I have long ago accepted it as our national flag.

I well remember my anger at the US flying our flag upside down at the World Series in 1992, when the Blue Jays beat Atlanta. I thought then, and still think it was a deliberate insult- nobody could be that stupid!

I suppose this means I was already proud of Canada and our flag in 1992.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,699,369 times
The Canadian flag is one of the best flags. Simply, eloquent, and defining. Even my patriotic American in-laws say it's one of the most beautiful flags in the world.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
For one thing it's an insult to millions of veterans who fought for Canada during two world wars and in Korea, and it's adoption was just the beginning of a number of Liberal initiatives that stomped on hundreds of years of heritage - in particular that of our military. It did more to divide than unify, and as a result we had about 30 years of Quebec vs. Canada, which almost tore the country apart.
I for one am largely happy for the "Liberal" initiatives that have occured in Canada over the decades - particularly with respect to social values.. Personally, I don't think i'd jive with the sociological mentality that existed decades ago.. Learn from the past - but do move forward sort of thing. Canada is better for it - we'd be a lot more of a homogenous place without those "liberal" initiatives akin to frozen in time were individual rights/freedoms/liberties would be a very very different and not in any sort of inspirational or aspirational way. At any rate, I invite any Canadian to move to 90 percent of the countries in the world and conclude that we are unfortunate living where we do..

Last edited by fusion2; 02-16-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or