Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 11:17 AM

156 posts, read 198,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I agree with both view points, Matt and Acajack, because both make some convincing arguments on staying vs. leaving. As someone living in Toronto with a predominantly anglo-view, I'd say that many from ROC would settle for Acajack's proposals. After rereading Acajack's suggestions, I personally don't think they are far-fetched. Of course, it will require prolonged negotiations with the feds, but it's not impossible to reach a new accord by any means.

As for immigration, Quebec can certain have its own set of immigration rules and processes (already does). That doesn't mean it should hinder labor mobility or movement between Quebec and other provinces, because both Quebec and the federal government could put a fixed residency requirement on new immigrants in a particular province upon arrival (again, Quebec already does this, along with Saskatchewan and a few other provinces). Immigration rules change so frequently that new rules and provisions can certainly be negotiated between the feds and Quebec. Some one from Toronto can certainly move to Montreal, provided that they meet French language requirements if they want to find work in the province - which doesn't sound unreasonable.
Rule #1: Never negotiate with terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Maybe you should go to Ar Raqqa or Mosul and find out the real meaning of the word "terrorist"

Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM

183 posts, read 216,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
The "freedom of choice" for anglo residents is not our concern. You know this, Jambo 101. The well-being of Quebec what we need to focus on. If anglo residents take issue with Quebec, they are more than free to move to Thunder Bay or some other town and start a new life. Most anglo residents know their place.
The freedom of choice for everyone regardless of their native language should be a right guaranteed by our government.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:28 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,343,624 times
I so recall the many decade long dispute regarding Quebec wanting to secede/separate from Canada...But having lived in Montreal "South Shore" St. Lambert and Longueil and further west Brossard...Actually lived on Riverside Drive and watched Expo-67 island built within the St. Lawrence....

Anyway..My point is..Quebec has always desired to get ride of Anglo-Canadians..and in French amongst the locals would mock and ridicule any Anglo...I was only a young teen at the time and could understand French well..and caught onto the Patois quickly..so knew exactly what they were saying...Remember this was mid-late '60's....

Anyway..for all their bluster to referendum separations..Even those who knew the consequences of doing so saw the light..Without Federal backings and since Federal Govt. actually controls the waterways of shippings..Quebec would HAVE to either succumb to tariffs and make do without all those $$ coming to their Govt.. Quebec really is Landlocked considering that whatever things they want to export or import would became +++pricey....I did find a fairly recent 2013 that outlines Federal waterways/shipping outlines...

Current Publications: Agriculture, environment and natural resources: Federal and Provincial Jurisdiction to Regulate Environmental Issues

snip~2.1 Federal Subject Matters
The following federal subject matters are the basis of most federal jurisdiction over environmental issues:

public property, which means federally owned property (section 91(1A));2
sea coast and inland fisheries (section 91(12));
navigation and shipping (section 91(10));
the criminal law (section 91(27)); and
Indians and lands reserved for Indians (section 91(24)).
In addition, the opening words of section 91 of the Constitution Act, 1867 set out a federal residual power. Numerous legal decisions have interpreted this power to conclude that various subject matters not explicitly listed in the Constitution – such as marine pollution and interprovincial water pollution – are nevertheless within federal jurisdiction.

Having said all this..I pretty well believe that most educated Quebecois knows these things..and Referendum would fail to pass separations once again..Likely will go the way the latest Ireland vote to separate just last year..

Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,343,624 times
Viva Quebec Libre all you wish my friends...Just think about the repercussions of what you wish for...Freedom to behave as a separate and distinct community fine..BUT to believe the rest of Canada doesn't believe you have rights to speak your language ..You are so mistaken..ALL Federal communications include French..SO those who want isolation to live in French only province will find it going back to what I experienced....No English signage...

Ohhhh Yes...Actually..Original Settler's in Quebec were Indian NOT French..So please regard historical facts..North American Indians were massacred seeking controls....So French are NOT the ultimate owner of rights to Quebec...SMH

A little Educational link~~
Origins of Canada's First Peoples
Snip~~
But less than 500 years ago, the only people living in Canada were the Aboriginal people of Canada. "Aboriginal" means the original inhabitants, the people who were here first. The words "Native" or "Indigenous" are also used, and mean the same thing.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 PM

74 posts, read 73,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Viva Quebec Libre all you wish my friends...Just think about the repercussions of what you wish for...Freedom to behave as a separate and distinct community fine..BUT to believe the rest of Canada doesn't believe you have rights to speak your language ..You are so mistaken..ALL Federal communications include French..SO those who want isolation to live in French only province will find it going back to what I experienced....No English signage...

Ohhhh Yes...Actually..Original Settler's in Quebec were Indian NOT French..So please regard historical facts..North American Indians were massacred seeking controls....So French are NOT the ultimate owner of rights to Quebec...SMH

A little Educational link~~
Origins of Canada's First Peoples
Snip~~
But less than 500 years ago, the only people living in Canada were the Aboriginal people of Canada. "Aboriginal" means the original inhabitants, the people who were here first. The words "Native" or "Indigenous" are also used, and mean the same thing.
It is sad to see English Canadians flexing their Anglo-Saxon superiority over the people of Quebec. I really would like to know, what makes you so much better than Quebec. I think Quebec is the best province in Canada. Quebec is only in Canada because of a conquest. They had no choice in the matter. I always thought Canada was a little bit more progressive than this.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
It is sad to see English Canadians flexing their Anglo-Saxon superiority over the people of Quebec. I really would like to know, what makes you so much better than Quebec. I think Quebec is the best province in Canada. Quebec is only in Canada because of a conquest. They had no choice in the matter. I always thought Canada was a little bit more progressive than this.
Always amazes me how someone can underscore the perception of a country or its parts based on posts in C/D.. That I think is sad really.... As with any nation however, it is a complex matter.. Don't worry though, Canada on the whole is doing just fine..

Look this way - imagine judging a family relationship based on tidbits of a discussion you hear here and there - would that be a complete capture of such a complex and dynamic relationship? Its something sort of similar to that...

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Oh, and what's rule #2 and #3? Where can I buy that book with all your personal rules? I'm sure it must be an NYTimes Bestseller but I somehow missed it.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM

242 posts, read 240,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Always amazes me how someone can underscore the perception of a country or its parts based on posts in C/D.. That I think is sad really.... As with any nation however, it is a complex matter.. Don't worry though, Canada on the whole is doing just fine..

Look this way - imagine judging a family relationship based on tidbits of a discussion you hear here and there - would that be a complete capture of such a complex and dynamic relationship? Its something sort of similar to that...
I say that bigbubbles knows more about Canada than 95% of ignorant cultureless anglo Canadians.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I say that bigbubbles knows more about Canada than 95% of ignorant cultureless anglo Canadians.
Don't expect any civil discussions if you write this kind of commentary about 28 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada