U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707

Advertisements

for Ontario PC leader.

Wayne Gretzky endorses candidate in Ontario's Progressive Conservative leadership race - Toronto - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM
 
34,442 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Reputation: 29901
I'm missing why this is noteworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm missing why this is noteworthy.
Amusement purposes perhaps? Why would anyone take to heart what he has to say about anything outside of Hockey? He may know a few good restaurants in L.A. that he could suggest.

The guy hasn't lived in Canada for years. Left school I believe in Grade 10 and was surround by and influenced by the very wealthy his whole adult life.

Not saying he isn't entitled to his opinion, however useless it is to the average Ontarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 12:02 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707
I would say when one is endorsed by one of the greatest Canadians ever it says much and is very newsworthy.

As for not living in Canada - how much do you think he's paid in taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Amusement purposes perhaps? Why would anyone take to heart what he has to say about anything outside of Hockey? He may know a few good restaurants in L.A. that he could suggest.

The guy hasn't lived in Canada for years. Left school I believe in Grade 10 and was surround by and influenced by the very wealthy his whole adult life.

Not saying he isn't entitled to his opinion, however useless it is to the average Ontarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I would say when one is endorsed by one of the greatest Canadians ever it says much and is very newsworthy.

As for not living in Canada - how much do you think he's paid in taxes?
??? Having an insightful and meaningful viewpoint on a political candidate has NOTHING to do with hockey, or being famous, or paying taxes. ( although living in the US I doubt he is paying Canadian taxes )

Newsworthy. Um...ya. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,581,970 times
Reputation: 8913
He must really love the guy to endorse him. The PCs are very much disliked by a lot of people. Identifying yourself with them won't win you any popularity contests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707
I'd love to see you prove this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
( although living in the US I doubt he is paying Canadian taxes )
If you know anything about him he has conservative fiscal values so it's not surprising he supports the party. Your response, though, typifies the closeted attitudes that many urban Ontarians seem to have: somehow the rural parts of the people and the opinions of the people who inhabit it are not relevant. Yet it's the urban areas that are the cause of all our problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
He must really love the guy to endorse him. The PCs are very much disliked by a lot of people. Identifying yourself with them won't win you any popularity contests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
 
2,566 posts, read 2,185,860 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
He must really love the guy to endorse him. The PCs are very much disliked by a lot of people. Identifying yourself with them won't win you any popularity contests.
Esp. after yesterday's embarrassing shpeal by PC MPP Monte McNaughton who mocked Kathleen Wynne for being openly lesbian, saying "itís not the premier of Ontarioís job ó especially Kathleen Wynne ó to tell parents what is age-appropriate for their children."

Wynne responded with one of the best rebuttals ever: "What is it that especially disqualifies me for the job that Iím doing? Is it that Iím a woman? Is it that Iím a mother? Is it that I have a masterís of education? Is it that I was a school council chair? Is it that I was the minister of education?"

Another PC MPP Rick Nicholls even made the comment in legislative chambers that "it's not a bad idea" to re-open the debate on creationism vs. evolution...

A PC supporter outside the legislative chambers further derided Wynne just because of her sexual orientation: "Weíre going to have little minions, little lesbian and homosexual minions . . . itís grooming children for sex . . . grooming them to change their identity to become homosexuals."

Hard to believe some people still got their minds warped in this day and age, as if we are still living in some ******* medieval age catholic kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707
You have to be pretty naive the think that there isn't an agenda that has been backing Wynne and the changes to the sex-education curriculum has been one of its main goals. It's not about "updating" or "saving lives" -- it's really about social engineering. We've already seen inklings of this in the TDSB trying to influence children into becoming "polyamorous". Now it's set to go province-wide. My guess is that the curriculum doesn't include anything about homosexuals trying to "convert" heterosexual children. Wonder why...

I wouldn't say playing cards is the "best rebuttal ever". It's okay for people like you to always label opponents (esp. if they are Christians), but when our premier is pushing legislation based on her own beliefs, it's somehow bigotry. if she openly admits to being gay, then it's fair game. Also, she represents ALL of us -- there are (still) many more Christians in this province than homosexuals. That's the real reality of our society. If this sex-ed curriculum is supposed to "reflect" the "true nature" of our society, then why-oh-why are Christian (and other religious perspectives) being completely left out of the curriculum???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM
 
2,566 posts, read 2,185,860 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
You have to be pretty naive the think that there isn't an agenda that has been backing Wynne and the changes to the sex-education curriculum has been one of its main goals. It's not about "updating" or "saving lives" -- it's really about social engineering. We've already seen inklings of this in the TDSB trying to influence children into becoming "polyamorous". Now it's set to go province-wide. My guess is that the curriculum doesn't include anything about homosexuals trying to "convert" heterosexual children. Wonder why...

I wouldn't say playing cards is the "best rebuttal ever". It's okay for people like you to always label opponents (esp. if they are Christians), but when our premier is pushing legislation based on her own beliefs, it's somehow bigotry. if she openly admits to being gay, then it's fair game. Also, she represents ALL of us -- there are (still) many more Christians in this province than homosexuals. That's the real reality of our society. If this sex-ed curriculum is supposed to "reflect" the "true nature" of our society, then why-oh-why are Christian (and other religious perspectives) being completely left out of the curriculum???
You really have no idea how offensive, homophobic, sexist, and racist your comment is, especially in the year 2015. And this is why people like you become ever more isolated and marginalized - all caused by your own inability to accept others who may be different.

You say you have no problem that Kathleen Wynne is lesbian and that it's fair game. That is exactly what the new legislation will do - to make both heterosexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality, and other sexual orientations all FAIR GAME to our future generations. Unfortunately, people like you, what you are advocating is NOT fair game - what you are asking is a singular focus on your own beliefs while willfully ignoring or all-out suppressing other cultures and life-styles that may depart from your version of "moral uprightness".

And FYI, religion is purposely being left out of our public education curriculum, because of our constitution's fundamental commitment to separation of church and state. No religion is being taught or given a greater voice in public institutions, Christianity or Islam or otherwise. Please don't twist facts.

Right now, I'm just so glad that people like you are not in places of high power, and that you will always remain on the fringe as our society becomes ever more globalized and open-minded. Frankly, I feel sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top