U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM

2,850 posts, read 3,771,950 times

Advertisements

As an American, I've always been fascinated by truly remote areas with few or even no people. We [the US] don't really have much of this outside Alaska anymore but Canada has these vast areas of no human settlement. Even Quebec is largley unpopulated once you get above a certain point. As Canadians, have any of you been to or wanted to visit the Northern areas of your great country? What is life like in towns like Iqualit Nuvanut, Yellowknife NWT, Whitehorse YK, or Radisson QC? What jobs are up there? What does it feel like to live so remotely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,090,954 times
Yellowknife and Whitehorse at least have roads in and out.

It's cold, remote and expensive.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 PM

21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
The scenery up there can be truly breathtaking but it kind of gets old real fast for most people because of the isolation and climate.

And unless you are really into living the particular lifestyle that these regions offer. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
"have any of you been to or wanted to visit the Northern areas of your great country?"

Literally thousands of people from all over the world do so every year. There are way too many sites advertising this to post here but here's just a couple:

Arctic Canada Fly In Fishing Outfitters - Yukon, Northwest Territory and Nunavut Fishing Outposts

Quebec Canada Fishing Vacations - Fishing Vacations - Fishing Lodges - Fishing Guides Worldwide

temp

I spent many years using about three weeks at a time to hunt throughout the most northern reaches of B.C. and Ontario.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
I'd like to go, but there's other places I'd rather see first I guess.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,236,298 times
On a trip to Alaska many years ago I drove through the Yukon to Dawson City (a highlight) and Whitehorse (not so much - think American suburbia). Also went to Skagway Alaska which can only be reached by road by driving through Canada. Probably the most accessible part of Northern Canada for Americans.

As I remember it, the scenery was nice but not much different from Alaska. I'd recommend someone on a similar trip today to just pop over to Dawson (20 miles beyond the AK border) unless you have time to do more serious exploration of the Yukon.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 6,642,893 times
I recently visited an Iqaluit job posting for the heck of it that featured a 12 month job, all expenses paid including housing, in my field. I was kind of tempted.
I've always wanted to experience life out there... Temporarily at least.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 PM

161 posts, read 466,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
On a trip to Alaska many years ago I drove through the Yukon to Dawson City (a highlight) and Whitehorse (not so much - think American suburbia).
I took the bus from Nova Scotia to Whitehorse on two occasions, and I am truly puzzled by this description. I didn't leave the "down-town" area during my trips, but there was nothing at all reminiscent of, say, Mississauga.

I love Whitehorse, and if it wasn't so very far away I would love a chance to live there, and probably would have done it, despite the distance, when I was younger. It's this tiny little city surrounded by mountains and the Yukon River. Despite being so isolated and sparsely populated it seemed to have a great music scene, and many amenities usually only found in bigger centres, like a microbrewery, a coffee roaster, and vegetarian restaurants. The drive along the Alaska highway is breathtaking.

It is definitely expensive to live there, though, and I imagine the novelty might wear off after a few months. I could see it becoming pretty isolating eventually, if you're not outdoorsy and solitary by nature.

For sure a lot of character, though, and not at all suburban!

Old 03-07-2015, 01:56 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
I only need to take the subway for 30 minutes to be in Northern Canada.

Joke aside, what is so interesting in permanently frozen land anyway.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I only need to take the subway for 30 minutes to be in Northern Canada.

Joke aside, what is so interesting in permanently frozen land anyway.
It's very spectacular, the way the ocean is spectacular, or the mountains or a tornado and a hurricane. There is something awe-inspiring in anything that can kill you very quickly. I can see why people would go to visit.

Have you ever been to Harbin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or