U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,704 posts, read 8,786,090 times
Reputation: 7319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry but I just have to call that one out.

I've read that post over and over again and although it's beautifully, almost poetically written and edited none of the rhetoric rings true North American to me, it seems foreign, rather European in flavour and writing style. I know a good number of people in the Netherlands that are very much into all things "native fad" that adopt that writing style when expressing their thoughts about North American aboriginals.

In any case, it's a good effort but I personally don't believe that was written by a North American aboriginal person or that the person has ever lived in Canada, and possibly not in America either even though the bias is in favour of America. I don't think that person has any familiarity with or knowledge about the real lives of either Native Americans in USA or First Nations in Canada.

.
I agree. That post comes across as if written in a fog, far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,295 posts, read 6,614,354 times
Reputation: 14332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree. That post comes across as if written in a fog, far away.
I know. And I don't understand what message he was trying to pass on in his second post. I was reading a lot of words there but it wasn't saying anything .... it was just words.

He speaks of the Canadian government involvement in relation to Canada's First Nations but apparently doesn't realize that the First Nations people and the Inuit people in Canada are all self-governing and have been self-governing for a few decades. Another reason why I don't believe he is who he says he is, otherwise he would know that. I don't expect P London to know that because he doesn't live in North America, he didn't do any research and admits to not knowing anything about Canada's native affairs, but somebody who claims to be a North American native should be expected to know that.

Quote:
The government can only do so much. The value of individual involvement can not be underestimated. This doesn't even touch on the outdated philosophies of the Canadian government when dealing with "First Nations" peoples.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2015, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,267,501 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know. And I don't understand what message he was trying to pass on in his second post. I was reading a lot of words there but it wasn't saying anything .... it was just words.

He speaks of the Canadian government involvement in relation to Canada's First Nations but apparently doesn't realize that the First Nations people and the Inuit people in Canada are all self-governing and have been self-governing for a few decades. Another reason why I don't believe he is who he says he is, otherwise he would know that. I don't expect P London to know that because he doesn't live in North America, he didn't do any research and admits to not knowing anything about Canada's native affairs, but somebody who claims to be a North American native should be expected to know that.



.
*sweep sweep*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,295 posts, read 6,614,354 times
Reputation: 14332
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
*sweep sweep*
You can call it sweeping it under the rug if you want.

How about you tell me what it is.

I'm annoyed about the hypocrisy considering what the topic is really about - namely 800 women who have gone missing or been murdered in Canada during the past 20 years and P London wants to make an issue about it being a racist thing and saying all aboriginals are being mistreated by all other Canadians.

Well, in P London's country there's 230,000 children that go missing every year, (that's 1 child every 5 minutes) and 7 women that get murdered every month (that's 84 murdered women per year) and he wants to make an issue about what happens in somebody else's country when maybe he should be making an issue about cleaning up his own back yard first.

Likewise, maybe you should clean up your own back yard too when you have 800,000 children going missing in your country every year while 4 women get murdered every day, or 1,460 murdered women per year.

And those numbers are only a fraction of the number of women and children in both of your countries that get violently raped and beaten every year.

So you do the math and then go clean up your own back yards first before ragging on Canada, okay, because the problem is not about racism, it's about murder and rape and abduction and neglect and violence against women and children everywhere and it's a hell of a lot worse in your countries than it is here.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 AM
 
Location: London, UK
9,992 posts, read 9,976,775 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You can call it sweeping it under the rug if you want.

How about you tell me what it is.

I'm annoyed about the hypocrisy considering what the topic is really about - namely 800 women who have gone missing or been murdered in Canada during the past 20 years and P London wants to make an issue about it being a racist thing and saying all aboriginals are being mistreated by all other Canadians.

Well, in P London's country there's 230,000 children that go missing every year, (that's 1 child every 5 minutes) and 7 women that get murdered every month (that's 84 murdered women per year) and he wants to make an issue about what happens in somebody else's country when maybe he should be making an issue about cleaning up his own back yard first.

Likewise, maybe you should clean up your own back yard too when you have 800,000 children going missing in your country every year while 4 women get murdered every day, or 1,460 murdered women per year.

And those numbers are only a fraction of the number of women and children in both of your countries that get violently raped and beaten every year.

So you do the math and then go clean up your own back yards first before ragging on Canada, okay, because the problem is not about racism, it's about murder and rape and abduction and neglect and violence against women and children everywhere and it's a hell of a lot worse in your countries than it is here.

.
When a certain ethnic group are more likely to get killed or abducted it certainly is about racism. In the UK Black and other ethnic minority groups are MORE LIKELY to get stopped and searched by the majority WHITE police force in London. - Is that not about preconceived ideas about ethnic minorities youths in the UK or is it something else?

I'm well aware of the UK's problems infact I'm the first person to mentions the UK's fault in a society that says ''we are tolerant we're not racist, sexist like before'' similar to Canada (may I mention that Canadian society is very similar to the UK so I do know what I'm talking about) You can sweep the issues with race under the carpet all you like but there's a large percentage of Canada's population that knows racism is a big issue.

The problem is about Murder, racism AND rape with racism the centre. No one said that only Canada has problems just admit that Canadian society is for ''the White man'' with all other ''races'' looked down upon in one way or another with Aboriginal Canadians the bottom of the pile!

Did you even watch the Video? I didn't make it, I didn't make those statistics up, I didn't force your government to put Aboriginal Children in schools to brainwash them or did I? Funny how you can't tackle your own back yard?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 05:10 AM
 
18,335 posts, read 10,411,152 times
Reputation: 13399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You can call it sweeping it under the rug if you want.

How about you tell me what it is.

I'm annoyed about the hypocrisy considering what the topic is really about - namely 800 women who have gone missing or been murdered in Canada during the past 20 years and P London wants to make an issue about it being a racist thing and saying all aboriginals are being mistreated by all other Canadians.

Well, in P London's country there's 230,000 children that go missing every year, (that's 1 child every 5 minutes) and 7 women that get murdered every month (that's 84 murdered women per year) and he wants to make an issue about what happens in somebody else's country when maybe he should be making an issue about cleaning up his own back yard first.

Likewise, maybe you should clean up your own back yard too when you have 800,000 children going missing in your country every year while 4 women get murdered every day, or 1,460 murdered women per year.

And those numbers are only a fraction of the number of women and children in both of your countries that get violently raped and beaten every year.

So you do the math and then go clean up your own back yards first before ragging on Canada, okay, because the problem is not about racism, it's about murder and rape and abduction and neglect and violence against women and children everywhere and it's a hell of a lot worse in your countries than it is here.

.
There ya go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Reputation: 8623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know. And I don't understand what message he was trying to pass on in his second post. I was reading a lot of words there but it wasn't saying anything .... it was just words.

He speaks of the Canadian government involvement in relation to Canada's First Nations but apparently doesn't realize that the First Nations people and the Inuit people in Canada are all self-governing and have been self-governing for a few decades. Another reason why I don't believe he is who he says he is, otherwise he would know that. I don't expect P London to know that because he doesn't live in North America, he didn't do any research and admits to not knowing anything about Canada's native affairs, but somebody who claims to be a North American native should be expected to know that.



.

They are only partly self governing. The feds have an entire department devoted to them with 4000 employees most of whom are non aboriginal. And all of the provinces also have ministries for native Affairs.

Tons of stuff on native Land is run by the feds and the provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 AM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,036,781 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
(may I mention that Canadian society is very similar to the UK so I do know what I'm talking about)
Superficially similar in some ways, maybe; very similar, no. I'm sorry, young man, but when it comes to what I've excerpted above, you have no idea what you're talking about. Again.

Last edited by maclock; 03-02-2015 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Reputation: 8623
Case in point: with scant few exceptions aboriginal Canadians don't control the education system that serves their communities. There is currently a bill in Parliament (C-33) at the committee stage but it has not been passed yet. If adopted it will pave the way for them to have control over their schools. Eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,693 posts, read 6,549,724 times
Reputation: 8198
Yes, P London, we certainly do have a racism problem here in Canada and the primary target is the First Nations.

Canada's racism problem? It's even worse than America's.

In Winnipeg, a meaningful stand against racism

And I recommend for you a book by Thomas King. http://www.amazon.ca/The-Inconvenien.../dp/0385664214

I agree that that one post by someone purporting to be an aboriginal person sounds more like a European's idea of what an 'Indian' sounds like. And part and parcel of the troubles of the aboriginal peoples here are their chiefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top