U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,488,471 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why Canada is imposing a HUGE tariff on solar panels from China. ( now that our industrial complex has been completely destroyed by conservative govt).
Is that what we call FREE TRADE??? free for everyone but Canadians it seems.

As for all the people suffering loooong waits for medical care, consider it a legacy of the olympic games...you know...the 8 billion doller party we're still paying for, so that the rich could hobnob while us poor taxpaying saps could watch it on T.v....if we're even that fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,126,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Can anyone tell me why Canada is imposing a HUGE tariff on solar panels from China. ( now that our industrial complex has been completely destroyed by conservative govt).
Is that what we call FREE TRADE??? free for everyone but Canadians it seems.

As for all the people suffering loooong waits for medical care, consider it a legacy of the olympic games...you know...the 8 billion doller party we're still paying for, so that the rich could hobnob while us poor taxpaying saps could watch it on T.v....if we're even that fortunate.
Does that cross ever get too heavy?

You should understand what free trade is before using the term. It's sort of like Americans calling Obama a fascist communist. Your lack of knowledge undermines your argument and just turns you into an old man yelling at clouds.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:18 AM

564 posts, read 880,501 times
"Canada's Greatest Prime Minister"?

(And if you make the assumption that I must therefore support Trudeau or Mulcair, I consider them just as useless. But perhaps not as dangerous.)

Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,709,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
This is sooo 2008...
No kidding! Same sex marriage isn't even an issue anymore.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Does that cross ever get too heavy?

You should understand what free trade is before using the term. It's sort of like Americans calling Obama a fascist communist. Your lack of knowledge undermines your argument and just turns you into an old man yelling at clouds.
I would suggest that YOU are the one who doesn't understand what free trade is...the selling out of Canada.
The "cross" may be heavy, but it's a reality I have trouble just poo pooing and just pretending it isn't.(maybe you could help me with that)
Sometimes I gather it takes an "old man yelling at the clouds" to keep the many, many, many injustices the corrupt Canadian gov perpetrates on it's taxpayers in the open.
Maybe I should turn a deaf ear to the cries of the poor and disabled....maybe I should turn a blind eye to the long unemployment lines and the exploding use of soup kitchens....maybe I should be dumb, and remain silent about the fact that our youth have no jobs, homes of their own, and probably no chance of ever having the stability in their lives needed to raise a family.....yes, deaf dumb and blind might be the answer.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:03 AM

18,370 posts, read 10,438,970 times
Quote:
I would suggest that YOU are the one who doesn't understand what free trade is...the selling out of Canada.
The "cross" may be heavy, but it's a reality I have trouble just poo pooing and just pretending it isn't.(maybe you could help me with that)
Sometimes I gather it takes an "old man yelling at the clouds" to keep the many, many, many injustices the corrupt Canadian gov perpetrates on it's taxpayers in the open.
Maybe I should turn a deaf ear to the cries of the poor and disabled....maybe I should turn a blind eye to the long unemployment lines and the exploding use of soup kitchens....maybe I should be dumb, and remain silent about the fact that our youth have no jobs, homes of their own, and probably no chance of ever having the stability in their lives needed to raise a family.....yes, deaf dumb and blind might be the answer.
Wow all of that theatrical emotiveness over supposed injustices.

Perhaps you should read up on "dumping" practices as engaged in by China and other countries regarding things like solar panels. Cheap isn't always the best answer to energy creation or conservation.

Last time I looked there was no one I would call either poor or disabled looking to buy solar panels to assist in diminishing their energy consumption; they were all too busy lining up at those soup kitchens.

All of the youth I know have had no problem finding work for themselves, owning their own homes or providing the stability to raise their families but then all of the youth I know aren't overly interested in self indulgent whining either.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 AM

16,096 posts, read 6,334,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
My guess is that he'll win two more elections -- majority governments both, and by the end will have crafted a Canada that will have corrected the confusion and misguided political and social experiments of the 60s and 70s and 80s. Although he has many shrill detractors now, I believe with time history will judge Stephen Harper favourably and Canada will be a better place for all that he has accomplished. I say this never having voted CPC and likely never will.
I hope you're right. As an American, I will never vote CPC. From Stateside, he seems like an organized, competent administrator with mostly right ideas; not the dilletante that Trudeau the Smarter was or the moron that Young Trudeau is.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wow all of that theatrical emotiveness over supposed injustices.

Perhaps you should read up on "dumping" practices as engaged in by China and other countries regarding things like solar panels. Cheap isn't always the best answer to energy creation or conservation.

Last time I looked there was no one I would call either poor or disabled looking to buy solar panels to assist in diminishing their energy consumption; they were all too busy lining up at those soup kitchens.
I wouldn't have to (though I have) if we still had an industrial complex, something the conservative government DESTROYED. We could have made our own...now we can't even buy any decent steel for our needs...we're stuck with increasingly inferior products from other countries...and the icing on the cake is that we are now expected to pay tariffs on them as well.
Call it whining, whatever...does the truth hurt?

Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 PM

18,370 posts, read 10,438,970 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have to (though I have) if we still had an industrial complex, something the conservative government DESTROYED. We could have made our own...now we can't even buy any decent steel for our needs...we're stuck with increasingly inferior products from other countries...and the icing on the cake is that we are now expected to pay tariffs on them as well.
Call it whining, whatever...does the truth hurt?
One man's truth; another's fallacy.

Steel? Are you serious? I suggest more research is in your future as we started losing our steel industry back in the 80's and there have been many issues making steel production in Canada unprofitable such as the Hamilton harbour attracting environmentalist attention like bees to honey with their subsequent costs added and multiple strikes within a ten year period spiking the benefits costs. Throughout it all Liberals were at the helm at least twice for extensive periods each time.

Hamilton

Foreign ownership of companies of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The free trade agreements resulted in a crushing blow to Canada's manufacturing base but to NOT have entered into those and instead relied upon our domestic market alone to sustain our manufacturing output is simply the stuff of wet-dreams. The result being identical; a few moments of heightened pleasure leaves you with a mess to clean up and missing some sleep.

You don't get to sell your stuff to someone you don't allow to sell to you. You don't get to demand other countries shift jobs to your country so they can sell their stuff unless you agree to shift jobs to theirs so you can sell YOUR stuff. Seem reasonable?

As soon as foreign countries caught on to the tactic of forcing manufacturing on shore to sell on shore we were doomed. The worm turned and our higher labour costs among other things like our more rigid environmental and safety standards insisted upon by everyone BUT the conservatives drove our jobs off shore to cheaper locales for mfg..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
One man's truth; another's fallacy.

The free trade agreements resulted in a crushing blow to Canada's manufacturing base but to NOT have entered into those and instead relied upon our domestic market alone to sustain our manufacturing output is simply the stuff of wet-dreams.
wet dreams to you maybe...a good government looking out for it's people to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada